Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] whatever@whomever.com is offline

Default fix bathtub seal

On 14 Feb 2007 08:45:06 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.

It's important to get the residual old caulking off too. There is a
silicone removal paste you can get to take that final film off. Make
sure both surfaces are clean, then go to town with flexible caulking.

I would do the water in the tub thing if it was an exceptionally slim
caulking joint. A good 1/8 to 1/4 inch grout line with silicone
caulking will stretch quite a bit.

Regards
Dale