DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fix bathtub seal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/192264-fix-bathtub-seal.html)

michael February 14th 07 03:56 PM

fix bathtub seal

newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

[email protected] February 14th 07 04:45 PM

fix bathtub seal

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.

KB February 15th 07 01:37 AM

fix bathtub seal

"michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

I bought a silicone bath and tub sealant. I used regular painter's tape to
tape off a small area between tub and wall (when I tried without, it got
sort of messy). Cut a small, diagonal corner off the tip of the tube of
caulk. Run it along the seam. Then use a gloved finger to smooth it out.
There's probably a better way to do this, but this worked for me.

KB

[email protected] February 15th 07 08:28 AM

fix bathtub seal

On 14 Feb 2007 08:45:06 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.

It's important to get the residual old caulking off too. There is a
silicone removal paste you can get to take that final film off. Make
sure both surfaces are clean, then go to town with flexible caulking.

I would do the water in the tub thing if it was an exceptionally slim
caulking joint. A good 1/8 to 1/4 inch grout line with silicone
caulking will stretch quite a bit.

Regards
Dale

[email protected] February 15th 07 02:50 PM

fix bathtub seal

What's the tub made of?

michael March 6th 07 05:22 AM

fix bathtub seal

Hi,

I did what you suggested. I bought some tub and tile sealer at Wal-
Mart ... I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the brand.
I basically did what you suggested, and it seemed to be okay, except a
week later, the new sealant is totally wrinkled and cracked and came
out of the cracks.

No idea why.

Poor quality sealant?

I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly. And I let it sit for two days
after applying it to let it dry thoroughly.

michael March 26th 07 10:26 PM

fix bathtub seal

follow up: I removed the latex sealant which I had used, and I applied
100% silicone sealant which is definitely a lot better.

On Feb 14, 9:45 am, wrote:

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:

newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.- Hide quoted text -