Actor123

Default How to fix/seal plastic shower stall

I've got one of those pre-fab steam shower enclosures. Its got a
rectangular shower pan with curved corners, on top of which sits three
of those hard plastic sides. The long side has developed a "leak" of
sorts. Its not so much a leak, but I've tracked it down to when the
water droples run down that side, they wind up curving under the side
before hitting something with some brown color in it, then curving back
out into the shower. There's also a little bit of a "shelf" formed
about the rounded corner where water can collect, making things a lot
worse. I've got limited access to the interior wall behind the shower
and it does not appear that any water is leaking "out" of the shower -
merely that it is travelling from the inside to that point in between
the seams where there is some rust or something. The result of this is
that about a half houw after every shower, I have a puddle of ugly
brown liquid on the shower floor.

I have tried re-grouting the seam, but it doesn't work. It appears
there is enough water gathering at that seam that it "pushes through"
any grout I put on the interior side. I thought sealant would actually
seal things, but it doesn't appear to be a completely waterproof seal -
maybe enough to stop an occasional splash but not enough to push back
direct water contact over a 30 minute period.

I've been using normal tub and shower sealants, which are all flexible.
But in my opnion, they may be too flexible, allowing water to seap
through them. Is there any type of sealant out there that really does
form a waterproof seal in these seams. Something that is made to
withdstand more direct water contact than the typical tub and shower
sealant? Any other suggestions? I'd rather not have to rip out the
entire enclosure or anything that drastic.

Thanks in advance

Shower Stall Drain Leak? Arnie Goetchius Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 10:31 PM
grout for shower stall Drew Morton Home Repair 13 July 28th 04 02:13 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
reconstruction of shower stall and bathroom floor Spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 12th 04 02:13 AM
Under shower stall backerboard-- visquine? JimC622911 Home Repair 3 September 1st 03 09:32 PM