Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C EFFICIENCY

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:51 pm, "RJ" wrote:
We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

Yes, anything you can do to shade it without cutting down on air flow
immediately around it will help significantly. Usually some type of
bushes, plants, tree, etc is a good choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:51:03 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed it won't?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue?

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed it won't?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed that eating
pork pies will NOT protect you from rabid skunks?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue
or the effect of pork pies on rabid skunks?

--
"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RJ" wrote in message

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed it won't?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue?

This is beyond stupid. The lower the outside temp, the less energy it
takes for any air conditioning unit to lower the temp. That is simple
physics. It;s also simple physics that on a hot day, it;s cooler in
the shade than it is to stand out in the direct sun.

I'm sure you can find a "scientific study", but do you need one? Do
you need a scientific study to tell you it's not good to cross a
street full of moving traffic?

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, I don't. But the other guy seemed to think one was needed.

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Feb 2007 19:25:19 -0800, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

YOU will be cooler in the shade. That doesn't mean the air is cooler.

I'm sure you can find a "scientific study", but do you need one? Do
you need a scientific study to tell you it's not good to cross a
street full of moving traffic?

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:47:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Common sense is often wrong.

Once it was common sense that the Earth couldn't be moving. You don't
feel motion. Now we know the Earth is moving, and very fast. Also that
we never feel movement. Just acceleration.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

I needed mine cleaned a couple of years ago. It had quit cooling at
all.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"" wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I was surprised to find this:

http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...95/950904.html

Excerpt:

"Air Conditioner Shading Shows Minimal Savings

"A study by the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) on the effects of
shading outdoor air conditioner condensers indicates that energy savings
benefits are modest at best--less than 5%. Although the study involved
just three sample cases, and researchers describe the experiments as
somewhat inconclusive, the results suggest that if shading is not done
properly, the risk of interrupting air flow to the condenser could more
than offset any benefits."

and a follow-up by the researchers:

http://homeenergy.org/archive/hem.di...95/951102.html

"Our report, "Measured Impacts of Air Conditioning Condenser Shading"
(FSEC-CR-827-95), does not show that shading A/C condensers cannot save
energy (see "Air Conditioner Shading Shows Minimal Savings," Sept/Oct
'95, p. 7). It does indicate that the potential savings are small. The
report shows that if done properly, as at Site 1, an improvement in A/C
efficiency of about 1% can be realized. On the other hand, the data show
that when shading is done improperly, A/C efficiency can be lowered.
Proper and improper shading strategies appear to be delineated by the
proximity of the landscape shading to the condensing unit and its air
flow pattern. A proper attempt at A/C shading would use landscape that
is sited so that the unit is shaded in the late afternoon hours, but air
flow is not impeded--particularly the hot exhaust air plume. This
usually means using larger specimens (or waiting for smaller ones to
grow), so that the shade trees are at least 6 ft away from the unit. We
do indicate that such shading is not cost-effective when done solely for
the purpose of shading an air conditioner. However, often landscaping is
placed around homes for other purposes (beautification), and allocating
one or two medium shade trees to this duty might be considered a no-cost
option."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[..]

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are available sprayer things that mist the compressor with water
that supposedly work much better than any shading could.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:20 pm, Ermalina wrote:
"" wrote:

[...]

I saw that report too. I found it interesting that when the first
study showed some savings, they almost dismissed it because it was
less than 5%. I don't know about you, but I would think saving say
4% on an cooling bill in say AZ or FL is not insignificant. If you
spend $1000 a year on cooling, that's $40 every year. And if you can
work some attractive landscaping into it that brings other benefits as
well, it seems well worth it to me.

If it really is only 1%, then I agree it's not worth it. And the
bigger issue is that if in the process you block airflow at all, then
it can have a neg impact.

For another opinion, here's what DOE says:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer...ditioners.html
Plant trees or shrubs to shade air conditioning units but not to block
the airflow. Place your room air conditioner on the north side of the
house. A unit operating in the shade uses as much as 10% less
electricity than the same one operating in the sun.

But, unfortunately, they don't cite what this is based on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

Stormin is correct, it will make a considerable difference.
The hotter the air entering the condenser the more energy it will take
because of numerous factors.
Shade it but do not block entering or discharge airflow!
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html - udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

Well, you've either not been listening/reading, or have your head in the
sand then. Besides, what you've "heard of" wasn't the question.

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

Not true during direct sunlight.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

Your post is a greater example of making a "small difference". Woof1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Common sense says shading is a big help.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

You're right about cleaning. But don't go relying on your test equipment;
cleaning didn't cause that, something else did.

"RJ" wrote in message

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

Shade of some sort will help. Mine went to running less often on same
temp/wind/humidity days. Actually, it went from nearly always on to short
off periods even on the worst days. No idea how much energy change that
amounted to though, but point is, it made a difference.

One important thing bout shading: Whatever creates the shade must NOT
impede air flow in any way. Ideally the shade should cover the ac and as
much area around it as reasonable so that the ambient it operates in drops
some on sunny days. I made mine look like a little patio roof.
Some people say to shade with plants; I disagree as enough foliage to
shade also impedes air flow. ymmv I suppose.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

imho:

Sounds like a good idea. If you can keep your AC condenser cooler, it
should have to work less transfering indoor heat to outdoor air.

Just a guess....

tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Feb 2007 21:13:41 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

[..]

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?

I saw the technician take mine off. It didn't look very hard. Turn off
the electricity first (mine had a disconnect right there) and remove a
few hex-head screws.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Common sense is often wrong.

But I don't think it's wrong in this case.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Ermalina wrote:

"" wrote:

[...]

Even 1% is not insignificant. How many barrels of oil would be saved by
a 1% improvement nation-wide?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What about spraying well water (64 degres year round) on my heat pump
during the summer months(Atlanta Ga area). Could this save me money?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones I've serviced, the outer cover is held on with a bunch
of screws. For a sheet metal worker, it's pretty basic skills.
What's your skill level?

Rinsing with a water hose won't do much, the dirt is usually
packed in. True cleaning requires the cleaning chemicals that
HVAC folks use.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Amanda" wrote in message
ups.com...
[..]

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple

years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the

fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In a dry climate, yes.

However, you'd have the problem of dissolved minerals caking the
coils.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
There are available sprayer things that mist the compressor

with water
that supposedly work much better than any shading could.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Nice to hear someone agree with me.

I was thinking of two heat changes. First, the air around the
condensor might be cooler. Also, the sun would not be heating the
condensor by solar heat.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"udarrell" wrote in message
t...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Stormin is correct, it will make a considerable difference.
The hotter the air entering the condenser the more energy it

will take
because of numerous factors.
Shade it but do not block entering or discharge airflow!
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html -

udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT
The Powerful Living Wisdom of the Eternal Cosmic Spiritual

Principles’
- LET US all live & be guided by those Powerful Spiritual

Truths
http://www.udarrell.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you weren't there. Guess all you want, but restoring the
efficiency of the unit was simply by cleaning it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pop`" wrote in message

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw

went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in

years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I

saved
him a lot of money.

You're right about cleaning. But don't go relying on your test

equipment;
cleaning didn't cause that, something else did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope your "little patio roof" is several feet over the
condensor fan.

Wondering if something like a chimney would be good. Let the hot
air rise naturally, but provide some sides for shade.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pop`" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Think of the children, man!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"CJT" wrote in message

Even 1% is not insignificant. How many barrels of oil would be

saved by
a 1% improvement nation-wide?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 6:09 am, "Stormin Mormon" cayoung61-
wrote:
The ones I've serviced, the outer cover is held on with a bunch
of screws. For a sheet metal worker, it's pretty basic skills.

What's your skill level?

None but I can get my brother - he is visiting - can unscrew it for me
if necessary or I can get the eletric tool from home depot. I am sick
of paying the money (that I don't have) for simple things.

I won't bother trying to do these myself if I am rich. Last place
where I lived (a condo), the guy advertised for cheap price for
cleaning vent but but when he got to my place, he said I needed to do
this and that and so I got him cleaned the coil and what not (I need
to keep the air as clean as possible and so I took care of those when
I moved in; I had no information what the previosu ownder did thanks
to my useless family who did the purchase ), and the next thing I
knew, it was over $ 300.00.

He mentioned efficiency of the A/C unit and I agreed to cleanign it
and so he did go up the roof to wash that housing but I have no idea
whether he just used the wster or not. That was the first time I lived
at a non-managed apartment. A freidn of mien laughed saying he carged
you "---" for rinsing out with water? Made me feel bad at the time but
I wouldn't have the ladder to go up there anyway. May be I can through
my upstairs neighbor's place.

At my current place, I have been noticing that my A/C is not stopping
once reached the temperature set. Of course, right now, I am heating
the house. (BTW, my understanding is that it uses gas while coolign
portion used electricity.) So I just stopped it manually by either
turning off or adjust temperature to 1 degree lower but then I have to
go turn it back on when it gets cold.

Rinsing with a water hose won't do much, the dirt is usually
packed in. True cleaning requires the cleaning chemicals that
HVAC folks use.

Can we buy that same chemicals? Licensing required? I don't know
what's in it but I'd be able to handle it safely once I know what's in
it. I was a chemist.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Amanda" wrote in message

ups.com...

[..]

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple

years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the

fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:16 pm, wrote:
What about spraying well water (64 degres year round) on my heat pump
during the summer months(Atlanta Ga area). Could this save me money?

How long will that effect keep it cool since the temp in environment
is high?

Beside, I'd be careful of the minerals in the water if the water were
to get inside ...of whatever you are spraying at.

I could be wrong on all this thinking..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 00:16:28 -0500, wrote:

What about spraying well water (64 degres year round) on my heat pump
during the summer months(Atlanta Ga area). Could this save me money?

This is not a good idea as it quickly ruins the coils with rust and
deterioration from the moisture constantly on the coil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The ones I've serviced, the outer cover is held on with a bunch
of screws. For a sheet metal worker, it's pretty basic skills.
What's your skill level?

Rinsing with a water hose won't do much, the dirt is usually
packed in. True cleaning requires the cleaning chemicals that
HVAC folks use.

Dos buying the same chemicals require Licensing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm surprised from the lack of advice. I'm expected more feedback

You talked for days about shading an AC unit.

My well water (64 degrees F year round) should cool down my coils heat much
more efficiently than air. What if I connected a timer to cool down my
compressor( say every 45 min) during the hottest time of day?

.. .

Rayburn efficiency? Helen UK diy 260 January 25th 06 07:57 PM
efficiency of candles? [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 6th 05 12:57 AM
Boiler efficiency? William W. Plummer Home Repair 10 February 24th 05 12:55 AM
furnace efficiency m Ransley Home Repair 2 November 26th 04 02:56 AM
Furnace efficiency Halvey Home Repair 8 July 9th 04 03:32 PM