Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C EFFICIENCY

On Feb 1, 6:40 pm, CJT wrote:
DK wrote:
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:51:03 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj

I've never heard of a single scientific study that showed that
shading would reduce energy usage significantly.

Have you heard of a single scientific study that showed it won't?

Have you heard of a single scientific study that addressed the issue?

This is beyond stupid. The lower the outside temp, the less energy it
takes for any air conditioning unit to lower the temp. That is simple
physics. It;s also simple physics that on a hot day, it;s cooler in
the shade than it is to stand out in the direct sun.

I'm sure you can find a "scientific study", but do you need one? Do
you need a scientific study to tell you it's not good to cross a
street full of moving traffic?

The ambient conditions are essentially overwhelmed by the energy
required to run the compressor.

If you live in a cave and use solar powered electric compressor to
drive a 1 ton ac, then maybe it would make a slight difference.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -