Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C EFFICIENCY

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RJ" wrote in message

We live in Southern Arizona.
The A/C unit is on the south side of the house.
and gets direct sun most of the day.
In the summer time, you could fry eggs on the A/C housing.

Is there any advantage to erecting some sort of shade
over the A/C unit ?

Enough to where the ( energy ) savings would be significant ?

( planning my summer projects.... )

rj