Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default A/C EFFICIENCY

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Common sense says shading is a big help.

Someone on alt.hvac posted a study awhile back. Someone set up
two identical houses, and found the shade versus sun made no
difference.

I'd plant some trees, or rig a shade if possible. Remember, AC
units can produce a LOT of air flow.

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

One I did a couple years ago, the unit was drawing about 9.5
amps,a nd hardly cooling. I cleaned it, and the current draw went
down to about 8.5. The fellow said it was the first time in years
the unit shut off cause the house reached temp. I'm sure I saved
him a lot of money.

Stormin is correct, it will make a considerable difference.
The hotter the air entering the condenser the more energy it will take
because of numerous factors.
Shade it but do not block entering or discharge airflow!
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html - udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT