Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default A/C EFFICIENCY

On Feb 4, 6:09 am, "Stormin Mormon" cayoung61-
wrote:
The ones I've serviced, the outer cover is held on with a bunch
of screws. For a sheet metal worker, it's pretty basic skills.

What's your skill level?

None but I can get my brother - he is visiting - can unscrew it for me
if necessary or I can get the eletric tool from home depot. I am sick
of paying the money (that I don't have) for simple things.

I won't bother trying to do these myself if I am rich. Last place
where I lived (a condo), the guy advertised for cheap price for
cleaning vent but but when he got to my place, he said I needed to do
this and that and so I got him cleaned the coil and what not (I need
to keep the air as clean as possible and so I took care of those when
I moved in; I had no information what the previosu ownder did thanks
to my useless family who did the purchase ), and the next thing I
knew, it was over $ 300.00.

He mentioned efficiency of the A/C unit and I agreed to cleanign it
and so he did go up the roof to wash that housing but I have no idea
whether he just used the wster or not. That was the first time I lived
at a non-managed apartment. A freidn of mien laughed saying he carged
you "---" for rinsing out with water? Made me feel bad at the time but
I wouldn't have the ladder to go up there anyway. May be I can through
my upstairs neighbor's place.

At my current place, I have been noticing that my A/C is not stopping
once reached the temperature set. Of course, right now, I am heating
the house. (BTW, my understanding is that it uses gas while coolign
portion used electricity.) So I just stopped it manually by either
turning off or adjust temperature to 1 degree lower but then I have to
go turn it back on when it gets cold.

Rinsing with a water hose won't do much, the dirt is usually
packed in. True cleaning requires the cleaning chemicals that
HVAC folks use.

Can we buy that same chemicals? Licensing required? I don't know
what's in it but I'd be able to handle it safely once I know what's in
it. I was a chemist.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Amanda" wrote in message

ups.com...

[..]

Having the outdoor unit professionally cleaned every couple

years
will do more good than shade. The tech should take the outer
housing off, use spray on liquid chemicals, and rinse the

fins
thoroughly with a water hose.

How difficult it it to take the outer housing off?- Hide quoted text -