Posted to alt.home.repair
MP MP is offline

Default Any idea of cost to run water line to my fridge?

Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MP wrote:

Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

He will very likely put in a self-piercing "saddle valve"
which requires no soldering.

To avoid floods later on, insist that he run 1/4" copper tube,
not plastic.

If you're the least bit handy, it's a DIY job.

How much for a tradesperson? $50 to $100 to drive up.
That much more for labor.
Maybe someone will do it for a $20 bill?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MP" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a
plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes
are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a
tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

You probably won't get a plumber to drive to your house for less than $100,
plus some parts and a half hour labor. It is not a difficult job so a
"handyman" type of guy can do it for about half the cost of a plumber.

The real trick here is routing the line from sink cabinet to fridge. If it
is a long way and other cabinets, it may be a real PITA. If the fridge is
over a basement with open ceiling, that may be a simpler route to take.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MP wrote:
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 7:11 am, Norminn wrote:
MP wrote:
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.

I did it myself over 10 years ago with plastic tubing and the self
piercing tap, never had a problem, very easy to do. I wouldn't bother
with copper, don't know anybody that has done that, nor anybody with a
leak.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

MP wrote:
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.

In my kitchen using either line would result in cold water. My water
heater is about 50' away. The ice tray would be full long before hot
water would fill the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 9:30 am, "Terry" wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:11 am, Norminn wrote:
It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.

In my kitchen using either line would result in cold water. My water
heater is about 50' away. The ice tray would be full long before hot
water would fill the line.

The water would be cool in the line but should still make clearer
cubes. Gases are driven off the water when it is heated and very
little can be reabsorbed while the water is in the pipes.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 1:54 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:11:26 GMT, Norminn wrote:
MP wrote:
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes.

HUGE mistake IMO. Hot water tanks contain sediment that taints the taste of the water
and can add unhealthy minerals to the water.
The water can taste downright nasty.

I was thinking about the taste issue too. Not to mention, it's a
pretty stupid waste of energy to be running water through a heater,
then routing it back to a refrigerator that is going to turn it into
chilled water and ice.

I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

MP wrote:
Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber
come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are
all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap
for the line that will run to the fridge.

I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).

Thanks in advance.

It is an easy DIY job, which we did ourselves years and years ago. Most
recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because
it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether
they are clear or cloudy.

I did it myself over 10 years ago with plastic tubing and the self
piercing tap, never had a problem, very easy to do. I wouldn't bother
with copper, don't know anybody that has done that, nor anybody with a
leak.

My humidifier hose sprang a leak, and my friends ice cube hose did
also. Fortunately she was having a party in her basement when it
happened, or at least when the water started dripping through.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen a couple leaky plastic lines. They wear through much
easier, and also easier for pets to chew through the line.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...

I did it myself over 10 years ago with plastic tubing and the

self
piercing tap, never had a problem, very easy to do. I wouldn't

bother
with copper, don't know anybody that has done that, nor anybody

with a
leak.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:58:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've seen a couple leaky plastic lines. They wear through much
easier, and also easier for pets to chew through the line.

Mine just sprang a leak, after a few years. No rubbing, no sharp
curves, and no pets, especially on the basement ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't laugh -- I do have friends whose cats inhabit the cellar
ceiling.

Thank you very much for the field report. I've believed in copper
water tubing, and now I've got another reason why.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote:

I've seen a couple leaky plastic lines. They wear through much
easier, and also easier for pets to chew through the line.

Mine just sprang a leak, after a few years. No rubbing, no

sharp
curves, and no pets, especially on the basement ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to MP, Ion Dorse wrote:
i do these all the time i charge 85.00 an hour 50.00 trip fee if its far and
the hardest part is going through multiple cabinets, plastic line is far
better than copper and will not leak. im a handyman and charge 85.00 to 150.00
hourly and get it all the time,cant keep up with work.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ge-190062-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-5, Ion Dorse wrote:

replying to MP, Ion Dorse wrote:

i do these all the time i charge 85.00 an hour 50.00 trip fee if its far and
the hardest part is going through multiple cabinets, plastic line is far
better than copper and will not leak. im a handyman and charge 85.00 to 150.00
hourly and get it all the time,cant keep up with work.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ge-190062-.htm

Dontcha think after NINE YEARS MP has gotten his water line installed?
Or do you think he's been waiting all these years for you come along
and offer advice?

More silliness from "homeownnershub." The sad part is the date of
the original post from January 2007 is shown here as well as on
homeownershub-bub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Speedy Jim, Valorie Bolt wrote:
ICE MAKING HOOKUP

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-190062-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first to make clear ice cubes.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-190062-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

It does make it easiest as it drives out undissolved oxygen. Best to freeze slowly.
If you think it dumb you must have a better idea for perfectly clear ice. Please tell us.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-190062-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:15:03 +0000, Nfisher posted for all of us to digest...

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first to make clear ice cubes.

Really? Then how come ice machines do it on a consistent & quantity basis
without without boiling?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 2:45:08 PM UTC-4, Bobby wrote:
It does make it easiest as it drives out undissolved oxygen. Best to freeze slowly.
If you think it dumb you must have a better idea for perfectly clear ice. Please tell us.

I forget...

Tell me again why I want perfectly clear ice cubes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 3:52 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:15:03 +0000, Nfisher posted for all of us to digest...

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first to make clear ice cubes.

Really? Then how come ice machines do it on a consistent & quantity basis
without without boiling?

Ice machines vary, not perfectly clear.

I know what works for me. I have a rubber mold that makes ice balls,
about 1 1/2". For best results I heat water to near boiling, pour into
the mold, then freeze. The heated water also takes longer to freeze
allowing oxygen to escape.

Tap water in the slow freezing mold it better but not nearly as perfect.
RO water freezer more clear too.

Found this:
The short answer: Cloudy ice is caused by gases (mainly nitrogen and
oxygen) dissolved in the water that come out of solution when the water
freezes. The small bubbles trapped in the ice cause the white
appearance. Boiling the water removes the air dissolved in it, producing
clear ice as a result.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 May 2021 16:15:03 +0000, Nfisher
wrote:

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first to make clear ice cubes.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-190062-.htm

This is pretty funny. I just read the webpage so I could read the whole
thread, to see who is boiling water for ice, but I posted to disagree
with the guy who said plastic hose was good enough.

Then I kept reading and found a guy who had the same attitude I do,
including that he too was at a party when the fridge hose started
leaking. What are the odds on that?

"My humidifier hose sprang a leak, and my friends ice cube hose did
also. Fortunately she was having a party in her basement when it
happened, or at least when the water started dripping through."

Turns out that one was me too! 14 years ago.

They really shouldn't include plastic tubing with those valves. It
encourages people to use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I did the humidifier in the basement with plastic tubing (poly-something) and in 5 years or so it sprang a leak and sprayed water all over the place. No sharp bends and no one touched it. Replaced it with copper and 15 years later, no problem. Saddle valve was never a problem. Plus I was a party one night when our hostess's fridge icemaker tube started leaking from the kitchen into the basement. So now you know two people.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-190062-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:31:22 PM UTC-4, Rick Green wrote:
Well, I did the humidifier in the basement with plastic tubing (poly-something) and in 5 years or so it sprang a leak and sprayed water all over the place. No sharp bends and no one touched it. Replaced it with copper and 15 years later, no problem. Saddle valve was never a problem. Plus I was a party one night when our hostess's fridge icemaker tube started leaking from the kitchen into the basement. So now you know two people.
--

So, I go down the basement to grab something out of storage. Why am I feeling a cool mist?

I look up to see the 25 YO plastic tube to the ice maker right above my head. Directly to the left of
that is the copper pipe to the water heater. The copper pipe has a pinhole in it, from which
water is spraying.

Does my intact plastic tube and leaking copper pipe cancel out 1 the 2 plastic tube leaks
that you describe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 4:29 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 2:45:08 PM UTC-4, Bobby wrote:
It does make it easiest as it drives out undissolved oxygen. Best to freeze slowly.
If you think it dumb you must have a better idea for perfectly clear ice. Please tell us.

I forget...

Tell me again why I want perfectly clear ice cubes?

They look nice in a glass of bourbon. The large balls of ice cool and
don't dilute as much so even better.

Presentation matters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 May 2021 15:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Manson wrote:

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:31:22 PM UTC-4, Rick Green wrote:
Well, I did the humidifier in the basement with plastic tubing (poly-something) and in 5 years or so it sprang a leak and sprayed water all over the place. No sharp bends and no one touched it. Replaced it with copper and 15 years later, no problem. Saddle valve was never a problem. Plus I was a party one night when our hostess's fridge icemaker tube started leaking from the kitchen into the basement. So now you know two people.
--

So, I go down the basement to grab something out of storage. Why am I feeling a cool mist?

Maybe someone installed a spa in your basement?

I look up to see the 25 YO plastic tube to the ice maker right above my head. Directly to the left of
that is the copper pipe to the water heater. The copper pipe has a pinhole in it, from which
water is spraying.

Interesting use of present tense. Did this really happen?

Does my intact plastic tube and leaking copper pipe cancel out 1 the 2 plastic tube leaks
that you describe?

Yes, I think so. This is a real problem. What is one to do?

We need an infrastructure law that will promote research on a tube that
won't leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 May 2021 18:52:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/29/2021 4:29 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 2:45:08 PM UTC-4, Bobby wrote:
It does make it easiest as it drives out undissolved oxygen. Best to freeze slowly.
If you think it dumb you must have a better idea for perfectly clear ice. Please tell us.

I forget...

Tell me again why I want perfectly clear ice cubes?

They look nice in a glass of bourbon. The large balls of ice cool and
don't dilute as much so even better.

Seems to me there is a direct relationship beetween cooling and
diluting. Unless you have supercooled ice, but even then.

Presentation matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/29/2021 4:29 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 2:45:08 PM UTC-4, Bobby wrote:
It does make it easiest as it drives out undissolved oxygen. Best to freeze slowly.
If you think it dumb you must have a better idea for perfectly clear ice. Please tell us.

I forget...

Tell me again why I want perfectly clear ice cubes?

They look nice in a glass of bourbon. The large balls of ice cool and
don't dilute as much so even better.

Seems to me there is a direct relationship beetween cooling and
diluting. Unless you have supercooled ice, but even then.

There is but not as simple as you think. You have thermal mass and
surface area. Put in say 2 ounces of zero degree ice and pour 4 ounces
of 70 degree liquid over it.

If it is crushed ice, it has a lot of surface area and little mass so it
will melt and dilute quickly.

In another container put a 2 ounce ball of ice and pour the liquid.
Since it is thicker, the mass allows it to absorb more heat from the
liquid and melts at a slower rate.

Small cubes would be between crushed and large chunks.

This is the one I have and it really does make a difference sipping your
favorite adult beverage.
https://tinyurl.com/yhmv5j3m
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 1:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/29/2021 3:52 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:15:03 +0000, Nfisher posted for all of us to
digest...

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first
to make clear ice cubes.

Really? Then how come ice machines do it on a consistent & quantity basis
without without boiling?

Ice machines vary, not perfectly clear.

I know what works for me.Â* I have a rubber mold that makes ice balls,
about 1 1/2".Â* For best results I heat water to near boiling, pour into
the mold, then freeze.Â* The heated water also takes longer to freeze
allowing oxygen to escape.

Maybe not?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...hat-hot-water/

Tap water in the slow freezing mold it better but not nearly as perfect.
RO water freezer more clear too.

Found this:
The short answer: Cloudy ice is caused by gases (mainly nitrogen and
oxygen) dissolved in the water that come out of solution when the water
freezes. The small bubbles trapped in the ice cause the white
appearance. Boiling the water removes the air dissolved in it, producing
clear ice as a result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 10:49 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 5/29/2021 1:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/29/2021 3:52 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:15:03 +0000, Nfisher posted for all of us to
digest...

That's the dumbest thing i've heard...water needs to be boiled first
to make clear ice cubes.

Really? Then how come ice machines do it on a consistent & quantity
basis
without without boiling?

Ice machines vary, not perfectly clear.

I know what works for me.Â* I have a rubber mold that makes ice balls,
about 1 1/2".Â* For best results I heat water to near boiling, pour
into the mold, then freeze.Â* The heated water also takes longer to
freeze allowing oxygen to escape.

Maybe not?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...hat-hot-water/

But put 200 degree water in a rubber mold and surround it with 1/2" of
insulation and it changes all their calculations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 8:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

There's a PHD topic for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2021 11:27 PM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Nah, by the time I got it done Congress will change the laws of physics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manson wrote:

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 6:31:22 PM UTC-4, Rick Green wrote:
Well, I did the humidifier in the basement with plastic tubing (poly-something) and in 5 years or so it sprang a leak and sprayed water all over the place. No sharp bends and no one touched it. Replaced it with copper and 15 years later, no problem. Saddle valve was never a problem. Plus I was a party one night when our hostess's fridge icemaker tube started leaking from the kitchen into the basement. So now you know two people.
--

So, I go down the basement to grab something out of storage. Why am I feeling a cool mist?

Maybe someone installed a spa in your basement?

Wouldn't a spa release warm mist?

You're the one who signed a contract with a low-budget spa.

I look up to see the 25 YO plastic tube to the ice maker right above my head. Directly to the left of
that is the copper pipe to the water heater. The copper pipe has a pinhole in it, from which
water is spraying.

Interesting use of present tense. Did this really happen?

Yes

Does my intact plastic tube and leaking copper pipe cancel out 1 the 2 plastic tube leaks
that you describe?

Yes, I think so. This is a real problem. What is one to do?

1 - Turn off the water
2 - Cut out the bad section
3 - Sweat in a new section
4 - Turn the water back on

I meant what is one to do *in advance* so this won't happen? 3/8"
copper pipe. Galvanized pipe. Pec for refrigerators?

We need an infrastructure law that will promote research on a tube that
won't leak.

Research does not fit the old school definition of infrastructure.
The bill will never see the light of senate - errr...umm...I mean - day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Interesting.

This is the one I have and it really does make a difference sipping your
favorite adult beverage.
https://tinyurl.com/yhmv5j3m

Reminds me of that kiwi egg I posted about.

I see. I bought an icecube tray that made ice in the shape of naked
female torsos. But once in the water, one could barely see a thing. So
the next time I added food coloring, but rather than disperse as it does
in kool-aid etc. the color all sank to the bottom, or the top, I forget.

Then I stopped having parties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Manson wrote:

[...]

Nothing. Stuff happens. Metal fails.

With all the multi-bazillion miles of copper pipe installed around
the world, the rare leak is not only not a reason to change anything,
it's not even a reason to *consider* changing anything.

We need an infrastructure law that will promote research on a tube that
won't leak.

Research does not fit the old school definition of infrastructure.
The bill will never see the light of senate - errr...umm...I mean - day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manson wrote:

[...]

so you too are saying that copper is better than plastic. Your tale of
the water mist confused me. When my plastic tube leaked it was more
than a mist.

(you have to bend copper properly, not too tightly. Wrap it around a
coke bottle. That's good becaue a real coke bottle has many diameters.
With plastic you can't bend it sharply either, but seems fine today
might still spring a leak in 4 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manson wrote:

[...]

I did not say that. I was simply pointing out 2 things:

1 - To he who said he knows of 2 instances of plastic tubing failing: copper fails also
2 - To you who wondered if we should be using 3/8" copper or galvanized to our refrigerators: No

(you have to bend copper properly, not too tightly. Wrap it around a
coke bottle. That's good becaue a real coke bottle has many diameters.
With plastic you can't bend it sharply either, but seems fine today
might still spring a leak in 4 years.

Now, if you want to discuss PEX vs copper, push-to-fit fittings (e.g. Sharkbites) vs sweating,
etc., that's always a fun conversation.

I use all of the above. I mix, I match. It all depends on the application and if my priority is looks,
time, ease of installation, cost and/or some combination of all four.