Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question on my disposable

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit. If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into. Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely, then run the unit and wash the debris down

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
[...]

Uh, boy, rice down the drain. I doubt the plunger would harm anything.
Rice is not good to put down drains, as you've learned by now. Maybe a
short wooden stick to try and turn the cutters will help, and some
diposals have a spot on the bottom to use a certain type of wrench.
Just dont put too much torque on the unit, as you can inadvertantly
mess with the plumbing/basket etc.. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

more rice out.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:20 pm, "tom" wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

[...]

I have wooden spatula - may be too thick - and a set of wodden
chopstick. I'll have to figure out what the cutter is. Have never
seen the inside of the unit.

and some
diposals have a spot on the bottom to use a certain type of wrench.

I think I sense that hole at the center of the bottom. Will look with
flash light. Hard to put my head there to see though.

Just dont put too much torque on the unit, as you can inadvertantly
mess with the plumbing/basket etc..

Unless it is very easy to turn, I doub that I will have enough
strength to but I'll be careful

So, I will get more rice out first and work on it. Will report the
result.

Tom- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin freely
before turning on the switch

"Amanda" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so
you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.
I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it
fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down
Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin
freely before turning on the switch

And don't forget to take the wrench out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:30 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin freely
before turning on the switch

that would be the indication that the congestion is gone? I did try
both and it turn like 1/8 to 1/6 of a 90 degree angle. So I guess I
should try some more till I feel that Allen wrench is spinning freely?

"Amanda" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so
you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.
I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it
fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down
Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Once you get it to move a few inches, try the switch and run water, if it
jams again keep using the wrench, and like Steve said, remove the wrench
before turning on the switch

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 7:30 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin
freely
before turning on the switch

that would be the indication that the congestion is gone? I did try
both and it turn like 1/8 to 1/6 of a 90 degree angle. So I guess I
should try some more till I feel that Allen wrench is spinning freely?

"Amanda" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so
you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use
the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.
I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that
it
fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit
spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down
Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:30 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin freely
before turning on the switch

Now, it's turning like 30-35 degree angle. Kind of scared to put force
to turn. I don't have much hand strength and as a reuslt I might put
too much force, (w/o good control) if I put force.

Am I supposed to see that whatever is in the stoppage flows freely
first before turning the switch on?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The motor won't turn if there is a slight jam, you want to get it freed up
to a point where you can flip the switch, run the water, and let the machine
chew up whatever had it jammed in the first place

"Amanda" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jan 30, 7:30 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin
freely
before turning on the switch

Now, it's turning like 30-35 degree angle. Kind of scared to put force
to turn. I don't have much hand strength and as a reuslt I might put
too much force, (w/o good control) if I put force.

Am I supposed to see that whatever is in the stoppage flows freely
first before turning the switch on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:55 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The motor won't turn if there is a slight jam, you want to get it freed
up to a point where you can flip the switch, run the water, and let
the machine chew up whatever had it jammed in the first place

Okay. Will keey trying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:55 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The motor won't turn if there is a slight jam, you want to get it freed up
to a point where you can flip the switch, run the water, and let the machine
chew up whatever had it jammed in the first place

Now, it's turning 360 degree and I made several turns before turning
the switch on (removed the wrench every time I turned on the switch).

There was some water in the sink already but I truned the water on
when I ran the disposable. I could hear the unit working with the
nosie sounding like it's grinding rice. But I dodn't see the stuff
going down, not even water thought he water became clody with ground
rice mixing in water.

I didn't know how long I should let the motor run when things are not
going down and so stopped it and tried again but not for very long.

Is it plunger time now? Since I don't have a sink plunger, should I
just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get
the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no
highway involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on, but I'll play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds. Eventually the rice will
soften enough that the disposal will free up. If you leave it on more
than a few seconds, you may have to press the reset button again, but
that's ok if you don't do it very many times.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,
so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is soft
enough to turn.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong. Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jan 2007 20:15:42 -0800, "Amanda"
wrote:

Is it plunger time now? Since I don't have a sink plunger, should I
just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get
the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no
highway involved.

You sound cute..

You need a man, my Darling. If you are accepting applications for the
job let me know!

I've always wanted a girlfriend named Amanda, the song from Boston
says it all.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try
getting
more rice out.

Something you don't probably know, but I'll tell you ..............

I didn't know it for a long time, but once I found out this secret, it
helped me infinitely with disposal clogs ...................

That silver tower that is about as round as a silver dollar and three inches
tall there on your sink ............

that's the vent for your garbage disposal and, I think, your dishwasher.

If your sink has one of these, in order to plunge your disposal, you will
need to seal that up. First, pull the silver cover off. It comes right
off. Next, put a VERY wet rag over the top as much as you can cover and as
best as you can cover. This will stop the air from going in and out of that
vent as you plunge up and down. Sometimes, this requires three hands, one
to hold the rag, one for the plunger, and one to hold a plug in the adjacent
sink. Or you can put the plug in and fill the sink. A helper to hold the
plug in there helps.

You can feel when you blow the clog, the plunging gets easier.

Plugging the air vent and plugging the hole in the adjacent sink will
shorten the amount of time you have to plunge, and it plugs up the air route
so you are pushing on water instead of having a hole where air can escape.

Otherwise, you can really work up a sweat, learn new cuss words, and never
have any noticeable effect on the clog.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 10:10 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.

But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try
getting
more rice out.

Something you don't probably know, but I'll tell you ..............

I didn't know it for a long time, but once I found out this secret, it
helped me infinitely with disposal clogs ...................

That silver tower that is about as round as a silver dollar and three inches
tall there on your sink ............

that's the vent for your garbage disposal and, I think, your dishwasher.

If your sink has one of these, in order to plunge your disposal,
you will need to seal that up.

I looked for it and saw some silver lookignt hings but later realized
that it was covered up by some sort of selant material (beige color).
I only hope that that sealant material is nto damaged by my putting
boiling water at a suggestion by a friend to soften the rice - I guess
he didn't know there could be selant.

I tried plunger first - only a few times though - and then when it
didn't work, I took out the muddy water as much as I could, boiled
water in a kettele and poured the boiling water in. When I turned on
the disposable unit, I saw more grinded rice powder coming up and so
I took out those hot water. So I boiled more water and added again.
After turning on the disposable, seeing rice poder coming up, I ended
up taking those hot water out too to get the rice out. Then boiled
more water and this time, I poured it in and let it sit.

It was after all that I saw your message, went to look at the unit
and
saw the sealant. When I touched it, it felt warm and some sealant
material came off easily. So I am hoping that the water will get cold
quickly and the sealant will not get damaged enough to leak air.

I'll continue with the plunger tomorrow.

Thank you all.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

I meant to say that if you have a vent from the dishwasher on the sink
(a silver cap with some holes in it) a plunger won't work. Maybe if
you could also plug the vent, but that doesn't seeem especially easy
to do.

just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get
the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no
highway involved.

See my other post and wait until the rice softens up. (It will, won't
it, even if the water isn't hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on,

Shrug..

but I'll play.

Admit that you just wanted to play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds.

It's bed time for me now. I guess I should fill the sink with water
before going to bed and try running it the first thing in the
morning. Hope it runs in the morning cus I don't have much time in
the morning to deal with it..

Eventually the rice will soften enough that the disposal will free
up. If you leave it on more than a few seconds, you may have to
press the reset button again, but that's ok if you don't do it very
many times.

I have been leaving it on more than a few seconds when I ran the
disposable.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,

Bad news.

so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is
soft enough to turn.

I'll run it once before going to sleep.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong.

Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

As long as the disposable is running, I thunk I have hope to resolve
the problem.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No wonder when I was using a plunger, I didn't feel like it was doing
anything. I have that vent ith a silver cap.

Maybe if
you could also plug the vent, but that doesn't seeem especially easy
to do.

How about very strong mailing tape?

just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get
the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no
highway involved.

See my other post and wait until the rice softens up. (It will, won't
it, even if the water isn't hot.

I guess, all I can do now is wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it plunger time now? Since I don't have a sink plunger, should I
just keep turning the motor on and off? Or would it be safer to go get
the plunger? Home Depot is less than 5 mins away to drive with no
highway involved.

You sound cute..

Sounding cute and looking cute are two different things, don't you
agree?

You need a man, my Darling.

Your assumption that *a man (referring to any man) can resolve this
problem* is wrong.

If you are accepting applications for
the job let me know!

You are out of luck.

I've always wanted a girlfriend named Amanda, the song from
Boston says it all.

I am sure there are many Amandas where you live. You just have to
try getting their attention.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote:

-snip-
I have wooden spatula - may be too thick - and a set of wodden
chopstick. I'll have to figure out what the cutter is. Have never
seen the inside of the unit.

Better than a spatula & it should work with rice is this little tool-
http://www.superiortool.com/photos/s...DrainStick.htm

It's a drain-Stick, by Superior Tool. Less than $5 at your local
Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes. I use mine before the plunger on all
drains. It is plenty flexible to maneuver its way through your
disposal- but it will take some wiggling the first time you do it.

[the pictures don't show it well, but the end is a bunch of plastic
barbs, so it really tears up clogs of grease, gunk & hair]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of
dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further
plug the pipe.
I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will
be a real challenge to clean out.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice
is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or
coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:
On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of
dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

When this whole episode started you had a jammed disposal, now you
have a clogged drain but not a jammed disposal.

My guess is the clog is in the trap just beyond the
disposal.....remove all the junk from beneath the sink, place towels &
a shallow catch basin of some sort under the trap & remove it.

USe the shop vac again to suck any rice out of the plumbing you can
access......put it all back together & give it a try.

In the future if you want to dispose of buggy food; two options ziploc
bag & into the trash OR down the toilet but not more than a typical
toilet load per flush plus flush & get the water flowing & pour the
stuff in. Hold the handle down to maximize the flush.

The key to have your disposal not jam up.......add stuff to it while
it & the water is running, don't feed it too much too fast, let the
water run for enough time after you're done grinding to wash all the
food waste through the trap & on its way.

Encourage both of your male friends to dig into this problem...it
isn't that hard & its a good life skill to have.

This could have happened at 6pm on Thanksgiving........(BTDT) getting
a plumber out to fix something this simple at that time would cost a
bundle. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than
waitng for the plumber.

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:10:20 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

There seems to be a clog, since the water sits there, but her main
problem is that the disposal won't turn. Hmmm. In a way, it would be
a mistake to get rid of the clog before the rice has been softened up.

OTOH, it will probably clog again fairly soon if the disposal can't
turn. The ony time I run my disposal is when there is a clog.
(Although I'm going to do better this time because I want to postpone
it's rusting shut.)

Plugging the air vent and plugging the hole in the adjacent sink will
shorten the amount of time you have to plunge, and it plugs up the air route
so you are pushing on water instead of having a hole where air can escape.

Otherwise, you can really work up a sweat, learn new cuss words, and never
have any noticeable effect on the clog.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:49:43 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further
plug the pipe.

If you're right, then I was right to say run the disposal every four
hours. I love being right.

Although maybe that wasn't often enough? I wanted it to be run as the
rice softened but before it expanded too much. I thought cold water
might not work, but maybe it was better because the softening would
take place more slowly, giving more opportunity to find it soft but
not too much enlarged??

I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will
be a real challenge to clean out.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice
is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or
coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 31 Jan 2007 08:36:58 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than
waitng for the plumber.

That's so true, about so many repairs.

BTW, has Amanda actually said the jamb is gone. I thought in the past
when she said she was running it, that just meant waiting for it to
start turning, or it moving a bit and then stalling. Who says it is
actually running freely now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 9:00 am, mm wrote:
On 31 Jan 2007 08:36:58 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

. Plus with experience you can clear this problem
faster than waitng for the plumber.

That's so true, about so many repairs.

BTW, has Amanda actually said the jamb is gone. I
thought in the past when she said she was running it,
that just meant waiting for it to start turning, or it
moving a bit and then stalling.

The disposable was turning but the load in the sink wasn't going down.

Who says it is actually running freely now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 8:36 am, "BobK207" wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of
dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

After runnign it when I woke up and it was stillt he same, I didn't do
anything about the disposable today cus I was gone the whole day.

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

I can rent one, I think. Do I just suck it up via the sink hole, il.e
from the top?

You mean

When this whole episode started you had a jammed disposal, now you
have a clogged drain but not a jammed disposal.

Right.

My guess is the clog is in the trap just beyond the
disposal.....remove all the junk from beneath the sink, place towels &
a shallow catch basin of some sort under the trap & remove it.

Remove the trap? That's major work for me. I'll take a look but I
doubt that I can do it. Does it need big hand and a lot of strength?

USe the shop vac again to suck any rice out of the plumbing you
can access......put it all back together & give it a try.

If I can take that apart.....

In the future if you want to dispose of buggy food; two options ziploc
bag &

Thought about using grocery bag but was tried at the time, I just got
home, trying to make put some rice in the rice cooker, and was just
eager to get rid of it this bag of rice. Major mistake in rushing...

into the trash OR down the toilet but not more than a typical
toilet load per flush plus flush & get the water flowing & pour the
stuff in. Hold the handle down to maximize the flush.

The key to have your disposal not jam up.......add stuff to it while
it & the water is running, don't feed it too much too fast, let the
water run for enough time after you're done grinding to wash all the
food waste through the trap & on its way.

Encourage both of your male friends to dig into this problem...it
isn't that hard & its a good life skill to have.

Both are in IT and are busy. One one works full time (5-6 days a week
in hardware 3-11 shift) but started a programming job 4hr/day for 5
days a week. He is out of the question.

The other works full time (5 days a week) + in school + married with
one child. He can probably try it later this week but I just asked him
to assemble my inclined excercise bench when it arrives. So I am not
sure whether I should ask him for this since he doesn't live in my
side of town.

This could have happened at 6pm on Thanksgiving........(BTDT) getting
a plumber out to fix something this simple at that time would cost a
bundle. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than
waitng for the plumber.

Tomorrow, I will try getting the thing you suggested above.

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default using rgular canister vacuum - "question on my disposable"

On Jan 31, 8:36 am, "BobK207" wrote:
[..]

if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

What if I use regular canister vacuum? I can just throw away the bag
afterward instead of a trip to rent the shop vacuum?

I haven't started my day yet. If it is okay to use reglar vac, I'll
try when I get up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 8:36 am, "BobK207" wrote:
[..]

if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

What if I use regular canister vacuum? I can just throw away the bag
afterward instead of a trip to rent the shop vacuum?

I haven't started my day yet. If it is okay to use reglar vac, I'll
try when I get up.

No, don't do that. You will get at least some water and it is not
good for a regular vacuum. You will need a wet/dry vac if you want to
try that.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buy a shp vacuum - question on my disposable

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[].

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they
come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one
should I get (for the power)? Which size?

It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40
mins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[].

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they
come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one
should I get (for the power)? Which size?

It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40
mins.

Actually, I'll levae in 20-25 mins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[].

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they
come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one
should I get (for the power)? Which size?

It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40
mins.

From what I've read so far, you don't have rice in the disposal.
If you look down the drain, do you see rice?
If not, the blockage is beyond the disposal.

It's not hard at all to unscrew the pipe from the bottom
of the disposal and look for a blockage there.
Put a bucket under it before you loosen the pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[].

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they
come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one
should I get (for the power)? Which size?

It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40
mins.

From what I've read so far, you don't have rice in the disposal.

Right.

If you look down the drain, do you see rice?

Look down the drain? How? From where?

If not, the blockage is beyond the disposal.

Blockage seems to be beyond the disposal.

It's not hard at all to unscrew the pipe from the bottom
of the disposal and look for a blockage there.

I looked at my unit and it seems that the drain pipe is attached to
the disposal on the side. I see two big pieces that looked like it
needs a wrnch to unscrew it; they are sitting side way holding the
trap, I think.

Put a bucket under it before you loosen the pipe.

I have a short, flat bucket. To unscrew it, I think I need a big
wrench. I'll get one.

I will be back in a few hours.

disposable coveralls Peter Taylor UK diy 0 September 12th 06 07:46 PM
disposable coveralls sm_jamieson UK diy 0 September 11th 06 03:57 PM
disposable coveralls Saxman UK diy 2 September 10th 06 07:16 AM
Disposable Televisions [email protected] Electronics Repair 12 December 7th 05 09:48 PM