Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default question on my disposable

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further
plug the pipe.
I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will
be a real challenge to clean out.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice
is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or
coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on,

Shrug..

but I'll play.

Admit that you just wanted to play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds.

It's bed time for me now. I guess I should fill the sink with water
before going to bed and try running it the first thing in the
morning. Hope it runs in the morning cus I don't have much time in
the morning to deal with it..

Eventually the rice will soften enough that the disposal will free
up. If you leave it on more than a few seconds, you may have to
press the reset button again, but that's ok if you don't do it very
many times.

I have been leaving it on more than a few seconds when I ran the
disposable.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,

Bad news.

so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is
soft enough to turn.

I'll run it once before going to sleep.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong.

Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

As long as the disposable is running, I thunk I have hope to resolve
the problem.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.- Hide quoted text -