Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question on my disposable

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit. If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into. Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely, then run the unit and wash the debris down

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

more rice out.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.

I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down

Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Doesn't matter, in fact try both directions, you just want it to spin freely
before turning on the switch

"Amanda" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
When you go to HD, have them show you the bottom of a display unit, so
you
can see what your looking, or feeling for. The units probably all use the
same size Allen wrench

I have a few tools in a box and I happened to find one which looks
like Allen wrench - it's not quite L shape but more like a small
letter f w/ the bottom having a tail and w/o the "-" in the midle of
"f". It does fit the wole perfectly but I didn't turn because I
didn't know which way to turn? Do I turn clock-wise or counter clock-
wise?

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 6:18 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
There may be an Allen wrench tool that came with the unit.
I would know where it is. The first and previous person living here,
my brother was a sloppy people).

If you feel in
the dead center of the bottom of the unit, there is the hole that it
fits
into.

I'll have to figure out what the dead center is

Insert it or any Allen wrench that fits, turn it until the unit spins
freely,

Will try. It seems liek I have to make a trip to home depot for the
tools.

then run the unit and wash the debris down
Ok. Will report the update.

"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try
getting
more rice out.

Something you don't probably know, but I'll tell you ..............

I didn't know it for a long time, but once I found out this secret, it
helped me infinitely with disposal clogs ...................

That silver tower that is about as round as a silver dollar and three inches
tall there on your sink ............

that's the vent for your garbage disposal and, I think, your dishwasher.

If your sink has one of these, in order to plunge your disposal, you will
need to seal that up. First, pull the silver cover off. It comes right
off. Next, put a VERY wet rag over the top as much as you can cover and as
best as you can cover. This will stop the air from going in and out of that
vent as you plunge up and down. Sometimes, this requires three hands, one
to hold the rag, one for the plunger, and one to hold a plug in the adjacent
sink. Or you can put the plug in and fill the sink. A helper to hold the
plug in there helps.

You can feel when you blow the clog, the plunging gets easier.

Plugging the air vent and plugging the hole in the adjacent sink will
shorten the amount of time you have to plunge, and it plugs up the air route
so you are pushing on water instead of having a hole where air can escape.

Otherwise, you can really work up a sweat, learn new cuss words, and never
have any noticeable effect on the clog.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
[...]

Uh, boy, rice down the drain. I doubt the plunger would harm anything.
Rice is not good to put down drains, as you've learned by now. Maybe a
short wooden stick to try and turn the cutters will help, and some
diposals have a spot on the bottom to use a certain type of wrench.
Just dont put too much torque on the unit, as you can inadvertantly
mess with the plumbing/basket etc.. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:20 pm, "tom" wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

[...]

I have wooden spatula - may be too thick - and a set of wodden
chopstick. I'll have to figure out what the cutter is. Have never
seen the inside of the unit.

and some
diposals have a spot on the bottom to use a certain type of wrench.

I think I sense that hole at the center of the bottom. Will look with
flash light. Hard to put my head there to see though.

Just dont put too much torque on the unit, as you can inadvertantly
mess with the plumbing/basket etc..

Unless it is very easy to turn, I doub that I will have enough
strength to but I'll be careful

So, I will get more rice out first and work on it. Will report the
result.

Tom- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote:

-snip-
I have wooden spatula - may be too thick - and a set of wodden
chopstick. I'll have to figure out what the cutter is. Have never
seen the inside of the unit.

Better than a spatula & it should work with rice is this little tool-
http://www.superiortool.com/photos/s...DrainStick.htm

It's a drain-Stick, by Superior Tool. Less than $5 at your local
Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes. I use mine before the plunger on all
drains. It is plenty flexible to maneuver its way through your
disposal- but it will take some wiggling the first time you do it.

[the pictures don't show it well, but the end is a bunch of plastic
barbs, so it really tears up clogs of grease, gunk & hair]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on, but I'll play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds. Eventually the rice will
soften enough that the disposal will free up. If you leave it on more
than a few seconds, you may have to press the reset button again, but
that's ok if you don't do it very many times.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,
so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is soft
enough to turn.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong. Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on,

Shrug..

but I'll play.

Admit that you just wanted to play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds.

It's bed time for me now. I guess I should fill the sink with water
before going to bed and try running it the first thing in the
morning. Hope it runs in the morning cus I don't have much time in
the morning to deal with it..

Eventually the rice will soften enough that the disposal will free
up. If you leave it on more than a few seconds, you may have to
press the reset button again, but that's ok if you don't do it very
many times.

I have been leaving it on more than a few seconds when I ran the
disposable.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,

Bad news.

so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is
soft enough to turn.

I'll run it once before going to sleep.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong.

Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

As long as the disposable is running, I thunk I have hope to resolve
the problem.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of
dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "Amanda" wrote:
On Jan 31, 4:33 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is
clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal
miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of
dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry)
vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

When this whole episode started you had a jammed disposal, now you
have a clogged drain but not a jammed disposal.

My guess is the clog is in the trap just beyond the
disposal.....remove all the junk from beneath the sink, place towels &
a shallow catch basin of some sort under the trap & remove it.

USe the shop vac again to suck any rice out of the plumbing you can
access......put it all back together & give it a try.

In the future if you want to dispose of buggy food; two options ziploc
bag & into the trash OR down the toilet but not more than a typical
toilet load per flush plus flush & get the water flowing & pour the
stuff in. Hold the handle down to maximize the flush.

The key to have your disposal not jam up.......add stuff to it while
it & the water is running, don't feed it too much too fast, let the
water run for enough time after you're done grinding to wash all the
food waste through the trap & on its way.

Encourage both of your male friends to dig into this problem...it
isn't that hard & its a good life skill to have.

This could have happened at 6pm on Thanksgiving........(BTDT) getting
a plumber out to fix something this simple at that time would cost a
bundle. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than
waitng for the plumber.

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further
plug the pipe.
I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will
be a real challenge to clean out.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice
is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or
coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:49:43 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further
plug the pipe.

If you're right, then I was right to say run the disposal every four
hours. I love being right.

Although maybe that wasn't often enough? I wanted it to be run as the
rice softened but before it expanded too much. I thought cold water
might not work, but maybe it was better because the softening would
take place more slowly, giving more opportunity to find it soft but
not too much enlarged??

I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will
be a real challenge to clean out.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of
plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice
is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or
coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Update on - question on my disposable

Celebration time but one question. But first, what happened was
that.. this guy - I used to refer to him as a boy but now he is 25 and
to be married soon - who lives not far from me, showed up because he
saw my garage door opened. He always passes the street perpendicular
to my street and sometimes he would stop by unannouced. Sometimes I
pretended like I was not home because I don't like people showing up
unanounced.

He had visited me recently. I got his new number but didn't even dawn
on me to call him probably because he is always on the road for his
father's business anyway.

He just used his hand to unscrew those things. He was in a rush and so
I had no time to assemble the sho vac and just used the coat hanger to
clean the stuff. (I'll just return this bulky shop vac and get a
smaller one.) He said that I should put a little bit of draino (not
from the sink with disposal but the other one) foolowed by hot water
to clean the stuff going to the drainage. What do you guys think I
should do?

One thing I can do is when my brother visits me in a week or two, I'll
ask him to unscrew these so that I can vacuum.

BTW, this boy, oops, I meant this guy, has been aiming to drive my
Subie since I bought it and now he brought it up again as he was
leaving, passing through the garage. He said what're you doing next
Saturday. He's been asking that ever since I got to know him 2 1/4
years ago but because of his schedule, I never needed to say "No, I
wouldn't go". In the beginning, I was new to this town and was not
against going somewhere like "to go sit by the river". He worked
crazy hours and obviously had no normal life like people his own age.

I don't know whether I should let him drive my subie. He wants to go
to a city 2 hours from here to casino. I hate casino but the route is
nice. I'd better ask how long he plans to stay there. I'll kill myself
if it is longer than 2 hours.

Should I use draino or unscrew the trap and vacuum it when I get the
opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 1 Feb 2007 20:32:47 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Should I use draino or unscrew the trap and vacuum it when I get the
opportunity.

I don't think you've said whether you have metal or plastic drain
pipes. Although regardless which it is, I don't like Drano.

Now that the water is running through the drain, there might be no
need for anyting more. Not sure, but maybe gradually the water will
wash away whatever is left. I do know that if your sink is draining
quickly, that's good enough. You have a double sink, it seems. So if
the sink withough the garbage disposal is draining quickly, that
accounds for most of the drain. Any other clogs should be removable
by running the disposal. Except for 3 or 4 inches of drain which are
unlikely to be a big problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 1:52 am, mm wrote:
On 1 Feb 2007 20:32:47 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Should I use draino or unscrew the trap and vacuum it when I get the
opportunity.

I don't think you've said whether you have metal or plastic drain
pipes. Although regardless which it is, I don't like Drano.

I have decided against using draino.

Now that the water is running through the drain, there might be no
need for anyting more. Not sure, but maybe gradually the water will
wash away whatever is left.

We rinsed out the trap and the pipe going to drain has been cleaned
with a coat hanger. I got out all the rice I could see.

Pipe is plastic btw.

I do know that if your sink is draining quickly, that's good
enough. You have a double sink, it seems. So if
the sink withough the garbage disposal is draining quickly, that
accounds for most of the drain.

It's running like it used to before the incident.

Any other clogs should be removable by running the disposal.

I ran the disposal a little bit yesterday after the issue was
resolved. Those tarce of grounded rice didn't seem to be a problem.

Except for 3 or 4 inches of drain which are unlikely to be a big
problem.

You mean only the first 3 or 4 inches of the drain were clogged? It
seemed that way IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2 Feb 2007 06:53:46 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Any other clogs should be removable by running the disposal.

I ran the disposal a little bit yesterday after the issue was
resolved. Those tarce of grounded rice didn't seem to be a problem.

Except for 3 or 4 inches of drain which are unlikely to be a big
problem.

On rereading I saw this wasnt' clear. I meant here 3 or 4 inches
after the garbage disposal but before it met up with the other sinks
drain.

You mean only the first 3 or 4 inches of the drain were clogged? It
seemed that way IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thanks - question on my disposable

Thanks for helping me.

Btw, if any one wondered why I didn't ask my brother in the first
place, he is not from here. He's just visiting. He doesn't know how
things are set up here. And it's unproductive to get things done
counting on family in my case.

\Again, thanks.

disposable coveralls Peter Taylor UK diy 0 September 12th 06 07:46 PM
disposable coveralls sm_jamieson UK diy 0 September 11th 06 03:57 PM
disposable coveralls Saxman UK diy 2 September 10th 06 07:16 AM
Disposable Televisions [email protected] Electronics Repair 12 December 7th 05 09:48 PM