Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default question on my disposable

On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I tried to put a bunch of brown rice (uncooked) in the disposable -
because there were some bugs and I didn't want the bugsfluing out of
the trash - and the next thing I knew, the disposable stopped. I
turned it off, and pressed the rest button after I removed the rice as
much as I could but some are still in the disposable. Upon turning on
the disposable, I can hear the
sound like "wuuuuuuuu...." but it's not taking down the water. I
wonder whether the disposable is not turnign becauise it's congested.
What should I try before calling plunbing?

I think you are putting us on, but I'll play.

I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours
(except when sleeping) for a couple seconds. Eventually the rice will
soften enough that the disposal will free up. If you leave it on more
than a few seconds, you may have to press the reset button again, but
that's ok if you don't do it very many times.

I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling
the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft,
so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is soft
enough to turn.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to
turn. Dry rice is really strong. Maybe when your sure it is wet, the
wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.

I wouldn't call the plumber either.

P&M

Last time I called the plumbing, all they did was remove that little
tiny fork (for cocktail shrip) and press reset button but I still had
to pay $45. So I'd liek to try myself if anyone can guide me before I
get the plumbing.

Should I use a plunger? If so, I will have to go get a sink plunger.
But I am wondering whether the plunger might damage the disposable's
grinding unit which I think is congested right now I'll go try getting
more rice out.