Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears air compressor throws breaker

I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

What size breaker in on that line? 5h/p is a large motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

I was given an old Craftsman AC a few years ago that gave me problems. Upon
inspection I discovered the ground and neutral wires had been reversed.
Fixing this stopped the GFI from tripping but it tstill tripped the breaker
till I ran a 20 amp circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

20amp breaker

On Jan 30, 4:24 pm, "Andy & Carol" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

What size breaker in on that line? 5h/p is a large motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Things that will cause the breaker to trip:
1. using an extension cord with the compressor.
2. other units running when the compressor kicks in.
3. bad or under rated circuit breaker. (need 15-20A)
4. a bad pressure switch on the compressor.
5. a bad capacitor on the compressor motor.
6. a bad motor on the compressor.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob S. wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Things that will cause the breaker to trip:
1. using an extension cord with the compressor.
2. other units running when the compressor kicks in.
3. bad or under rated circuit breaker. (need 15-20A)
4. a bad pressure switch on the compressor.
5. a bad capacitor on the compressor motor.
6. a bad motor on the compressor.

Bob

7. a bad unloader valve (maybe that's what you meant by the pressure switch)

Bob (no relation)
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

To many variables. What is the nameplate voltage and running amperage(fla)?
Is the motor connected for 120 or 240 volts? Is the 20 amp circuit you're
connecting it to, a dedicated circuit? Do you know that it is or was in
working condition? Is the tank empty or is there compressed air in it?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

compressor oil low? That will put a tremendous load on the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jan 2007 15:02:52 -0800, "Bob S." wrote:

1. using an extension cord with the compressor.

Yup. If the extension cord is too long the voltage drop will trip the
breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 2:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5
HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is
huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC
circuits are usually 30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric9822 wrote:
On Jan 30, 2:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5
HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is
huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC
circuits are usually 30.

You're all forgetting the funny way they rate horsepower on compressor
motors. A "5 HP" motor might really be 2 HP or less.

My current 6 HP compressor runs on a 20A 240V breaker, and it doesn't
put out as much air as the ancient 1.5 HP compressor that it replaced
when the old one finally bit the dust.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 11:37 pm, "Eric9822" wrote:

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5
HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is
huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC
circuits are usually 30.

My 5hp/20gal compressor draws 15A.

-Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 5:09 pm, zxcvbob wrote:

7. a bad unloader valve (maybe that's what you meant by the pressure switch)

My CH compressor manual calls it a pressure switch. It's a pressure
operated contactor that opens the ac line input when it gets to
operating pressure. I once had a pressure switch go bad (weak spring &
arcing contacts) and it would trip the breaker like the OP described.
-Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob S. wrote:

My 5hp/20gal compressor draws 15A.

If your motor was 100% efficient, 15.5A would give 5HP.

Since most 5HP motors draw around 20-21A, I suspect the specs on your
compressor are somewhat optimistic.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:45 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

If your motor was 100% efficient, 15.5A would give 5HP.
Since most 5HP motors draw around 20-21A, I suspect the specs
on your compressor are somewhat optimistic.

Chris

What, you mean a manufacturer would make a misleading claim???
Naw....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:52 am, "Bob S." wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:37 pm, "Eric9822" wrote:

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5
HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is
huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC
circuits are usually 30.

My 5hp/20gal compressor draws 15A.

-Bob S.

Not sure how the manufacturer is defining Horsepower. But there is no
way a 5 HP 110VAC or 220VAC single phase motor will run on a 15A
circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
20amp breaker

I have a 4hp compressor that requires a 30 amp breaker. Did you have to put
a new standard plug on the cord or special outlet in the wall to plug this
in? If so, you most likely did not put in a big enough breaker. Also, you
cannot just put a bigger breaker in and the corect outlet. You will need to
run 10ga wire to the outlet. standard 12ga is way to small!.

wrote in message

oups.com...I have come
in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

What size breaker in on that line? 5h/p is a large motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 5:02 pm, "Bob S." wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:

I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5hp, 20
gallonaircompressorthat when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Things that will cause the breaker to trip:
1. using an extension cord with thecompressor.
2. other units running when thecompressorkicks in.
3. bad or under rated circuit breaker. (need 15-20A)
4. a bad pressure switch on thecompressor.
5. a bad capacitor on thecompressormotor.
6. a bad motor on thecompressor.

Bob

Since it is running a few seconds, (like 10-15 seconds), might that
indicate that the run capacitor is the culprit? I have no way to test
the capacitors. It has 2, 1 of which is a G.E., (I think it is the
run capacitor), & the other is a Mallory, (which I think is the start
capacitor). I can find a replacement for the G.E., but I would have
to replace the Mallory with a different brand. The Mallory is 400-480
MFD, 165 VAC, but the nearest replacement that I can find, w/o having
to buy about $100 worth, is 400-480 MFD, 125 VAC.

Sears doesn't list the capacitors as replacements & the complete motor
w/capacitors is $230. At that price I might as well buy a new
compressor & tank.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:09 pm, wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:02 pm, "Bob S." wrote:

On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:

[...]

It was the G.E run capacitor. I ordered one from
www.surpluscenter.com, installed it & the compressor ran with no
problem. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

camocs had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-190003-.htm
:
Mallory 400-480MFD 165 VAC is BAD! Capacitor does not discharge properly!
Check to see if the capacitor has a voltage charge after being plugged in
(With Plug REMOVED FROM OUTLET!!!) Check Ohms of capacitor. It probable
is open? The other Capacitor is probale good but check that one also!

Please remember that Ohms are checked with out current applied.

Anybody try this web page for the exact Capacitor? Probable Not Mallory!!!

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/PSU.pdf

Looks like they have the 400-480mfd 165vac that sears uses in the
compressors. The part number is PSU 40065A or PSU40065A

Good Luck!!!
Clark

-------------------------------------

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200,
5 hp, 20 gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few
seconds then throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as
to why or how to repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

Had an old Sears compressor that would trip a 15 amp circuit but ran fine on
a 20 amp circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

camocs had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-239451-.htm
:
Update to previous post from camocs:

Found the site that sells individual capacitors. There is a minimum order
of $30 dollars. I bought two to avoid the surcharge of $14.83. Bill came
out to 32.50 and with shipping came out to 41 bucks. I keep you posted if
this is the fix!!! I have come across so many of these compressors that
throw breakers and My girlfreind just bought a mini compressor from sears
that did the same thing. I took it back for her and got a new one after
opening three boxes to get one that wasn't dented or wasn't covered with
oil or even having parts missing on an unopen box. This isn't the Quality
Controled sears that I grew up? I have been using Craftsman gear for 35
plus years. It's insane that we live in a throw away world. Recycle
those old compressor. Keep the Old Gear in shape and it should last a
lifetime!!!

The website for the capacitor is Onlinecomponents.com. Search for
PSU40065A. The PSU40065 is too long for this apllication.

Since I bought two, I probable will sell the second at a fair rate plus
shipping if anyone is interested?

Good Luck Ya,All!!!

-------------------------------------

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
News and Discussions Community of the Net
Web
and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.home.repair - 229077 messages
and counting!

News and Discussions Community of the Net

Air compressor tripping 20 amp breaker Tom Home Repair 23 October 31st 04 11:15 PM
old SEARS air compressor info j.b. miller Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 06:16 PM
Old Sears Air Compressor - Help Please jim Metalworking 9 August 15th 03 09:16 AM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Woodworking 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Home Ownership 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM