Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Sears air compressor throws breaker

Eric9822 wrote:
On Jan 30, 2:19 pm, wrote:
I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20
gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5
HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is
huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC
circuits are usually 30.

You're all forgetting the funny way they rate horsepower on compressor
motors. A "5 HP" motor might really be 2 HP or less.

My current 6 HP compressor runs on a 20A 240V breaker, and it doesn't
put out as much air as the ancient 1.5 HP compressor that it replaced
when the old one finally bit the dust.

Best regards,
Bob