Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry8770@gmail.com is offline

Default Sears air compressor throws breaker

On Jan 30, 5:02 pm, "Bob S." wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, wrote:

I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5hp, 20
gallonaircompressorthat when turned on runs for a few seconds then
throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to
repair? Anyone come across this problem before?

TIA

Jerry

Things that will cause the breaker to trip:
1. using an extension cord with thecompressor.
2. other units running when thecompressorkicks in.
3. bad or under rated circuit breaker. (need 15-20A)
4. a bad pressure switch on thecompressor.
5. a bad capacitor on thecompressormotor.
6. a bad motor on thecompressor.

Bob

Since it is running a few seconds, (like 10-15 seconds), might that
indicate that the run capacitor is the culprit? I have no way to test
the capacitors. It has 2, 1 of which is a G.E., (I think it is the
run capacitor), & the other is a Mallory, (which I think is the start
capacitor). I can find a replacement for the G.E., but I would have
to replace the Mallory with a different brand. The Mallory is 400-480
MFD, 165 VAC, but the nearest replacement that I can find, w/o having
to buy about $100 worth, is 400-480 MFD, 125 VAC.

Sears doesn't list the capacitors as replacements & the complete motor
w/capacitors is $230. At that price I might as well buy a new
compressor & tank.

Jerry