Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat Panel TV Mounting to Save Space

Hello,
I recently spent all of my hard earned coin to buy a new place. It's
very nice, but small and I'm looking to save space where possible.
I'm also looking for an excuse to replace my old tube TV. First, a
picture of where I plan to set up the new LCD.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/wall.jpg.html

The TV would go about where the painting is. If you look at the
bottom of the picture, you can see the power outlet as well as the
cable outlet. Also, there is a closet behind the wall in case I want
to get creative and start punching holes through walls.

So, I'm looking for the best setup to save space. Wall mounting a TV
would be a good way to go. Althought I would like to hide the cords
behind the TV, I know there are cable covers that I could run from the
outlets up to the TV and paint the same color as the wall to disguise
the cables. The main problem is what to do with the cable box and DVD
player. I think those are the only two pieces of equipment I'm
looking to have set up along with the TV. Maybe some sort of
shelving? They would still stick out at least the depth of the
equipment. Maybe a hole through the wall to run wire and set them up
in the closet behind the wall? Not sure how keen I am on that, but if
easy and able to patch, I would consider it. Then would have to
figure out how to get remotes to work with the DVD player and cable
box since they would be behind the wall.

This area connects the the rest of the house to kitchen and living
room so will be a high traffic area. I would like to opt for a small,
shallow TV stand but that would impede the walkway.

Just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2007 11:24 AM or thereabouts, appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

[...]

You could make recessed shelves into the closet that open into the room
with the television. That way the equipment would be open and allow the
remote to work, but it would not intrude into your room at all.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just hung one for a friend. Made a metal plate with holes drilled to fit the
TV. Then made four "keyholes" or round holes with a slot going up. Put four
screws in the wall to fit the slotted holes. Lift the TV, insert over the
screws and work it down. No problem and the TV is dead against the wall.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 12:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

Easy enough to add an outlet inside the closet on the back side of
that wall to power the TV. Just run all of you cables and what-not
through a small hole in the wall behind the TV, nice house don't screw
it up with plastic conduit running up the wall. For the remotes you
can buy an infrared extender or similar device to control your
hardware no matter where it is. One example is:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104477
Google around I'm sur you will find something that will work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jan 2007 09:48:49 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

On Jan 30, 12:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

That MIGHT work, or you could be almost constantly moving the units to
try to avoid interference. It's looks like you'd do better with
something like http://www.smarthome.com/59500.html

Google around I'm sur you will find something that will work.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:06:36 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

So, I'm looking for the best setup to save space. Wall mounting a TV
would be a good way to go. Althought I would like to hide the cords
behind the TV, I know there are cable covers that I could run from the
outlets up to the TV and paint the same color as the wall to disguise
the cables. The main problem is what to do with the cable box and DVD
player. I think those are the only two pieces of equipment I'm
looking to have set up along with the TV. Maybe some sort of
shelving? They would still stick out at least the depth of the
equipment. Maybe a hole through the wall to run wire and set them up
in the closet behind the wall? Not sure how keen I am on that, but if
easy and able to patch, I would consider it. Then would have to
figure out how to get remotes to work with the DVD player and cable
box since they would be behind the wall.

Look into cable card ready TVs.
You may be able to find a way to do without
a cable box.

Cable Card is probably a good idea if you want digital cable, although
it does limit you. You can't distribute the signal to other TVs.

There's still the DVD player, which requires physical access to
insert/remove DVDs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing about
the DVD player. I really like the thought of inset shelving, but that
would put a large hole in the wall. Still might consider it. I think
setting up a cable and power outlet in the inside of the closet is a
pretty neat thought. A small hole for cords would be fine since a
picture or something will be there if a TV is not. I don't have any
experience with this but imagine I could find something online that
shows me how or find some basic pricing for someone to come out and do
it for me. I was thinking there might be some way to run infrared
from the devices inside the closet and mount a little eye on the TV so
I wouldn't have to worry about bouncing signals around. Not sure if
something like that exists.

Thanks and let me know if there are any other thoughts!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, just noticed that smarthome link is just what I was looking for!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 3:16 pm, wrote:
Oh, just noticed that smarthome link is just what I was looking for!

It has been a while since I bought AV equipment but Sony devices used
to have a port in the back, maybe S-link, that would transfer the
remote signal. That way you would only need line of sight to one
device and could link all of the others to that via cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:37:52 -0600, Dennis Turner
wrote:

On 1/30/2007 11:24 AM or thereabouts, appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Hello,
I recently spent all of my hard earned coin to buy a new place. It's
very nice, but small and I'm looking to save space where possible.
I'm also looking for an excuse to replace my old tube TV. First, a
picture of where I plan to set up the new LCD.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/wall.jpg.html

Kill your television.
Take up woodcarving or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kill your television.
Take up woodcarving or something.

I agree. Lived without TV for a year and loved it. We're both plenty
active and not in front of it all day. We want less profile so that
it's not the centerpiece of the room. That said, it is nice to watch
"My Super Sweet 16" or "Cheaters" from time to time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 3:15 pm, wrote:
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing about
the DVD player. I really like the thought of inset shelving, but that
would put a large hole in the wall.

The size of the hole shouldn't be an issue if it solves your space
problem. I like Dennis's idea of building an opening with shelves in
the wall. That is, provided you can live with the loss of space at
that location in the closet. The other consideration is if the wall
is load bearing, which would complicate things. If it's not, then
putting some shelves into an opening isn't a big project.

If not, then you could put the cable box, dvd on a shelf in the closet
and use one of the remote repeater/relocater gizmos. Or locate them
anywhere in the room from which you can run cabling to the LCD.

Still might consider it. I think
setting up a cable and power outlet in the inside of the closet is a
pretty neat thought. A small hole for cords would be fine since a
picture or something will be there if a TV is not. I don't have any
experience with this but imagine I could find something online that
shows me how or find some basic pricing for someone to come out and do
it for me. I was thinking there might be some way to run infrared
from the devices inside the closet and mount a little eye on the TV so
I wouldn't have to worry about bouncing signals around. Not sure if
something like that exists.

Thanks and let me know if there are any other thoughts!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 11:24 am, wrote:
[...]

A friend of mind cut out the drywall completely in a spot similar to
yours. Then re-applied it against the back of the wall. If you have
no structure supporting beams in the spot you can easily do this.
This not only saved space, but it kept people from knocking into it as
they walked by. If he ever decides to take the TV out, he can andd
shallow shelving instead for a very nice look.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 Jan 2007 09:24:11 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Is this the bottom floor or the top floor? If the bottom and you have
a basement, or the top and you have an attic, I would put the cable
box and player near the chair I would be sitting in, and run the
cables through the floor (or back to a wall, into the wall and down or
up to the unfinished floor), over to below or above the wall that you
are showing, and arrange for the wires to come out right behind the
tv. That's the advantage of owning your own home.

It also means you don't have to get up to change the DVD and you don't
have to rely on a remote to; control whatever devices you are using.
I have my vcr next to my bed and the tv that it feeds on the far side
of the bed 10 feet away. Why people always put the vcr/dvd/cable box
right by the tv, I have no idea.

Also it appears that behind that wall is a closet or something. You
could without too much trouble put an added electrical outlet 3 feet
above the first one, so you wouldn't see that either. You'd have to
look at the back of the tv carefully before doing this, or the first
part above, but there is probably plenty of room, because I'm not the
first person to think of this.

I would probably do it in violation of code, but I don't recommend
that. Other people he I know you won't like running plain lamp
cord or even heavier through a little hole in the wall, but if a 1 or
2 inch diameter hole was cut in the wall behind the tv -- the
circumference could be plastered -- could the cord be run through that
to an outlet somewhere else, or a new outlet put in back to back with
the current one near the floor? That way the pretty wall wouldn't be
obstructed.

I agree that the tv should be right against the wall but I don't think
you should have to make your own plate. Don't they sell them for each
tv?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
There's still the DVD player, which requires physical access to
insert/remove DVDs.

With this in mind, the recessed shelving suggested by others might be
attractive. The shelves could be semi hidden behind a smoked glass door
similar to those on many TV stands. That would provide convenient access to
auxiliary equipment and should not be too difficult to construct.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

This area connects the the rest of the house to kitchen and living
room so will be a high traffic area. I would like to opt for a small,
shallow TV stand but that would impede the walkway.

Just looking for some suggestions.

Before you go hanging the thing like the next Mona Lisa, I highly
suggest you think about hanging it in this manner.

Depending on your viewing habits for this location, hanging these TVs
at this height is very unnatural. I know it looks cool, and it's the
latest and greatest, but with most TVs, the bottom of the picture is
perhaps 24-30" above the floor, so when you're sitting on your couch,
you're looking straight ahead. If you go and hang this thing
perhaps 48" above the floor and you'll be looking UP to watch TV.

In the location you want it, that might be a good thing (if it's
designed for viewing when working in the kitchen, for example), but if
you plan on sitting most of the time, I would do a test run and sit in
the regular spot and stare at that painting for an hour or TWO
(movies, of course) and see how uncomfortable it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:52:26 -0800, "SJF" wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
There's still the DVD player, which requires physical access to
insert/remove DVDs.

With this in mind, the recessed shelving suggested by others might be
attractive. The shelves could be semi hidden behind a smoked glass door
similar to those on many TV stands. That would provide convenient access to
auxiliary equipment and should not be too difficult to construct.

SJF

Yes, that would be a way to do it. Is the smoked glass door
transparent to IR?