Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] seglie@gmail.com is offline

Default Flat Panel TV Mounting to Save Space

Hello,
I recently spent all of my hard earned coin to buy a new place. It's
very nice, but small and I'm looking to save space where possible.
I'm also looking for an excuse to replace my old tube TV. First, a
picture of where I plan to set up the new LCD.

http://www.alpine9.net/v/scott/house/wall.jpg.html

The TV would go about where the painting is. If you look at the
bottom of the picture, you can see the power outlet as well as the
cable outlet. Also, there is a closet behind the wall in case I want
to get creative and start punching holes through walls.

So, I'm looking for the best setup to save space. Wall mounting a TV
would be a good way to go. Althought I would like to hide the cords
behind the TV, I know there are cable covers that I could run from the
outlets up to the TV and paint the same color as the wall to disguise
the cables. The main problem is what to do with the cable box and DVD
player. I think those are the only two pieces of equipment I'm
looking to have set up along with the TV. Maybe some sort of
shelving? They would still stick out at least the depth of the
equipment. Maybe a hole through the wall to run wire and set them up
in the closet behind the wall? Not sure how keen I am on that, but if
easy and able to patch, I would consider it. Then would have to
figure out how to get remotes to work with the DVD player and cable
box since they would be behind the wall.

This area connects the the rest of the house to kitchen and living
room so will be a high traffic area. I would like to opt for a small,
shallow TV stand but that would impede the walkway.

Just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks!