igor

Default gluing panel in flat panel door

If one uses 1/4" hardwood-veneer ply for a panel in a flat-panel kitchen
cabinet door is there a problem caused by gluing in the panel? I know this
is a no-no for solid wood panels. But, since I plan to use stub tenons for
my cab doors, the thought is that gluing in the panels would strengthen the
doors -- which could be helpful for large doors and if any rack is attached
to the cab doors to hold "things", such as pot lids, woks, whatever. This
would also keep the panels from sliding around, having to use spaceballs,
etc.

If this is a no-no even for ply, it would be helpful to know why -- i.e.,
what the dynamic is. Also, what if I could locate mdf-core or particle
board core ply for the panels?

All this being said, at my sister's this past T-day I noticed that the ply
panels in some of their cab doors has warped -- in their large custom
kitchen. Not generally noticeable, but as I studied the cabs I noticed
that the panels were "stuck" because they had warped in the slots. They
live in New England, so they do not have big humidity problem in summer and
they use a humidifier (at normal levels, as best I can tell, i.e., not fog
on windows) in winter.

Comments, please, about glue-in. TIA. -- Igor
George

Ply just grows/shrinks in all directions rather than across the grain. Same
for anything made of wood fiber, really. Random direction fiber expands
randomly with water uptake.

Stub tenons and modern glues are likely more than enough. Give the panel a
little room in dry weather, build tight in wet, and wedge. Attach the rack
to the solid wood.

"igor" wrote in message
[...]

moore

While I can see the logic of not having to worry about expansion as
much with a 1/4 ply, I don't think it will really give you much of an
advantage. Keep in mind that stub tenon doors hold much heavier solid
panels without a problem. If your tenons are cut to fit well and you
use a good glue, I'm sure they'll be more than strong enough. Also,
if you're going to attach some kind of pot rack (no Target refrence
there) wouldn't you be fastening it to the rails and stiles instead of
a 1/4 panel?

Your sister's doors are a good testament to why panel doors are so
advantageous. Regardless of if you suspect local weather conditions
will be a problem or not, you can always rely on a floating panel to
be immune. There are lots of other things (especially in a kitchen)
that can introduce moisture to a cabinet.

Moore

igor wrote in message . ..
[...]

Sharp microwave oven problem Pat Electronics Repair 12 November 19th 04 11:07 PM
Flat panel heaters Tom Miller UK diy 5 January 8th 04 05:30 PM
Hangin' a door! [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 18th 03 07:13 AM
Garage door opener help...and patch jim Home Repair 7 July 25th 03 03:05 AM