Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete sanding

We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 2:18 am, "emaalyon" wrote:
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

You can rent a concrete grinder.

It's like a floor buffer on steroids.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 27, 1:18 am, "emaalyon" wrote:
We placed concrete ...and did the broom finish ...
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out?

Besides the power sander/grinder, alternative approach would be to
apply a skim coat and re-texture. Here's a link that discusses the
"how"...

http://www.cbsupply.com/pages%20CBS%...ncretetips.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"emaalyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

Concrete grinding will be hard on the back, need special equipment and will
take hours. http://www.diapro-canada.com/

Concrete resurfacer is what I use and works very well:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1381749

Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't say what the slab is for. If it is a high traffic area
and in the open, you can scatter fresh, sharp mason's sand on it
and walk/work/let-the-kids-ride-bikes to ease the texture. It
does kind of depend on what it is, where it is, and what it is to
be used for.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"emaalyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago.
It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was
getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have
liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we
have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out?
Please
help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"emaalyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

I've had good luck with renting a floor belt sander and using the roughest
sand paper available. Of course my area (decorative fountain base) was
small, equivalent of a 12' x 10' area.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks so much for all the ideas. It is for our back patio. I believe
it is about 12 x 20. That may not be exact but that is my estimate.

Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint? Harry Muscle Home Ownership 9 March 22nd 06 09:28 PM
concrete sanding KTECH Home Repair 2 October 24th 05 09:51 PM
breaking 6 inch concrete pad need a concrete breaker-follow up tom patton UK diy 5 April 6th 05 12:28 AM
How well do the powerless sanding tools work on sanding the inside of bowls? George Saridakis Woodturning 5 February 8th 05 11:48 PM
Sanding Concrete Countertops MC Home Repair 9 September 6th 04 01:15 AM