DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete sanding (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190520-concrete-sanding.html)

emaalyon January 27th 07 07:18 AM

Concrete sanding

We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

[email protected] January 27th 07 01:56 PM

Concrete sanding

On Jan 27, 2:18 am, "emaalyon" wrote:
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

You can rent a concrete grinder.

It's like a floor buffer on steroids.

dpb January 27th 07 03:02 PM

Concrete sanding

On Jan 27, 1:18 am, "emaalyon" wrote:
We placed concrete ...and did the broom finish ...
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out?

Besides the power sander/grinder, alternative approach would be to
apply a skim coat and re-texture. Here's a link that discusses the
"how"...

http://www.cbsupply.com/pages%20CBS%...ncretetips.htm

# Fred # January 27th 07 03:09 PM

Concrete sanding

"emaalyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

Concrete grinding will be hard on the back, need special equipment and will
take hours. http://www.diapro-canada.com/

Concrete resurfacer is what I use and works very well:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1381749

DanG January 27th 07 03:38 PM

Concrete sanding

You don't say what the slab is for. If it is a high traffic area
and in the open, you can scatter fresh, sharp mason's sand on it
and walk/work/let-the-kids-ride-bikes to ease the texture. It
does kind of depend on what it is, where it is, and what it is to
be used for.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

oups.com...

Ivan Vegvary January 27th 07 04:43 PM

Concrete sanding

"emaalyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We placed concrete in our backyard about a month and a half ago. It was
a cold day and my husband rushed the finish because it was getting
dark. Things weren't setting up as quickly as we would have liked so he
went ahead and did the broom finish before it was ready. Now we have a
very rough surface. Anybody know a good way to smooth it out? Please
help!

I've had good luck with renting a floor belt sander and using the roughest
sand paper available. Of course my area (decorative fountain base) was
small, equivalent of a 12' x 10' area.

Ivan Vegvary

emaalyon January 28th 07 06:21 PM

Concrete sanding

Thanks so much for all the ideas. It is for our back patio. I believe
it is about 12 x 20. That may not be exact but that is my estimate.