Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylight cold

I have a skylight in a backroom that has a cathedral ceiling. There is a
light shaft of approximately 2 feet. I kept feeling cold air coming down on
me (no it wasn't the mother-in-law) so I got up on a ladder and it was
freezing. I put a thermostat up there and its a 12-15 degree difference
from the house!

My guess is that the insulation on the shaft walls has come down or worse
was never there! Any ideas/tricks on how to insulate those 4 oh-so-small
walls?? Or do I have to
take down the drywall?

Thanks

Edee Em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

Posted to alt.home.repair

edee em wrote:
I have a skylight in a backroom that has a cathedral ceiling. There
is a light shaft of approximately 2 feet. I kept feeling cold air
coming down on me (no it wasn't the mother-in-law) so I got up on a
ladder and it was freezing. I put a thermostat up there and its a
12-15 degree difference from the house!

My guess is that the insulation on the shaft walls has come down or
worse was never there! Any ideas/tricks on how to insulate those 4
oh-so-small walls?? Or do I have to
take down the drywall?

Thanks

Edee Em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

You should be able to access it from the attic area. It may be a very
tight fit, hard to say, each situation is different. There are lots of
option for insulation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"edee em" wrote in message
I have a skylight in a backroom that has a cathedral ceiling. There is a
light shaft of approximately 2 feet. I kept feeling cold air coming down
on me (no it wasn't the mother-in-law) so I got up on a ladder and it was
freezing. I put a thermostat up there and its a 12-15 degree difference
from the house!

Also check for gaps around the cover itself. A client hired me to keep wasps
out of her skylight. I found a 1/2" opening on one side of the skylight cap.
The plastic cap and frame just sat on top of flashing that stuck out of the
roof. The structure didn't have a tight fit, and the installer put all the
gap on one side. The client says that room is much more comfortable now, and
they don't have any more wasps.