Junior Member

Cool skylight/rooflight

I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder if anyone has a plan/drawing for one.
Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default skylight/rooflight

news

--
oilyboy

I like building stuff as much as the next guy, but in this case, I think my
plan would be to case my local BORG for one on sale. The ones around me
seem to have them pop up now and then, presumably from being misordered or
not picked up.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:42:08 +0100, oilyboy
wrote:

I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder if
anyone has a plan/drawing for one.

My thoughts if you need help here, find and hire a competent
contractor.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

oilyboy wrote:
I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder if
anyone has a plan/drawing for one.
Thanks

No offense, but this isn't a good project for an amatuer. One of the
houses I lived in had 3 skylights installed by professionals.
Eventually, they all leaked (as did most of them in the neighborhood).
They appeared to be installed correctly, but over the years developed
leaks.

Every neighbor I knew of in the development had a similiar problem.

If you want more light in the room, how about adding an overhead light
with nice full spectrum daylight bulbs?

Yes, I'm biased, but I would never want another house with a skylight
again. Going up on the roof in December (and risking life) to tear it
out a reshingle that part of the roof so it doesn't leak gets old.

I imagine it would be even more difficult on a flat roof.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "bf" wrote:

oilyboy wrote:
I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder if
anyone has a plan/drawing for one.
Thanks

No offense, but this isn't a good project for an amatuer.

Amen.

One of the
houses I lived in had 3 skylights installed by professionals.
Eventually, they all leaked (as did most of them in the neighborhood).
They appeared to be installed correctly, but over the years developed
leaks.

Every neighbor I knew of in the development had a similiar problem.

Yep. I've known several people with skylights in their homes. I don't know
anyone who had a skylight that didn't leak.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

oilyboy wrote:
I want to construct a skylight/rooflight for a flat roof. I wonder if
anyone has a plan/drawing for one.
Thanks

No offense, but this isn't a good project for an amatuer. One of the
houses I lived in had 3 skylights installed by professionals.
Eventually, they all leaked (as did most of them in the neighborhood).
They appeared to be installed correctly, but over the years developed
leaks.

I've had skylights in my roof for over 15 years, with never a single leak.
Something is very wrong with your installation and the installations in your
neighborhood. I live in the northeast where we get a lot of snow and our
roof systems go through quite a bit. I know lots of folks with skylights
and leaks are just not common on a properly installed skylight.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

I've had skylights in my roof for over 15 years, with never a single
leak.

Mike, is yours a flat roof like the OP's, or is yours a pitched roof?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
news
Mike Marlow wrote:

I've had skylights in my roof for over 15 years, with never a single
leak.

Mike, is yours a flat roof like the OP's, or is yours a pitched roof?

Mine is a 3/12 on the back of the house. The front is steeper but the back
is a very shallow pitch. Skylights should work on a flat roof just as well
since there really is no such thing as a truly flat roof. All roof
structures have some pitch to drain water.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

There is no reason it should leak. Roof vents, chimneys, ect are not a great
source of problems, why should a skylight be any different? I would
definitely recommend professional installation though.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I've had skylights in my roof for over 15 years, with never a single leak.
Something is very wrong with your installation and the installations in

your
neighborhood. I live in the northeast where we get a lot of snow and our
roof systems go through quite a bit. I know lots of folks with skylights
and leaks are just not common on a properly installed skylight.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
There is no reason it should leak. Roof vents, chimneys, ect are not a

great
source of problems, why should a skylight be any different? I would
definitely recommend professional installation though.

I'd agree for those who are not familiar with roofing and it's
idocyncracies. I installed my own and found that the manufacturer's
instructions were dead on for a good install and the supplied matierials
such as step flashing were the proper materials. I think even an
inexperienced DIYer could have properly installed them by following the
directions.

--

-Mike-