Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Skylight

Anyone have any advice on skylights? I'm thinking of installing one in
my new family room.
Any good sites where they show different types, advice?
Thank you.
Stephanie

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mike in Arkansas

Get low E glass to keep from raising the heat load on your ac a bunch.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Installation is a bit-tch. If your roof is steep do not do it yourself.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 5 Mar 2006 15:59:42 -0800, someone wrote:

One of the basic questions is whether you want them to be fixed or to
be openable. That depends on your lifestyle and environment. But if
you do decide to go with ones that open, I highly recommend going for
the electric motor option. In the grand scheme of construction, it
doesn't cost all that much....

In new work I might be inclined to agree with you, in a retrofit it is
bringing in another level of complication and another trade, and may
seem to be a bigger relative difference if the job is ONLY skylights..

We have 3 cranked ones and we operate them routinely. However they
are not in a particularly high ceiling and the crank rod is easy to
engage and not very big. If they were way way up there it might make
a bigger difference. I find it kind of fun to spin the crank.