Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cost of skylight replacement?

Greetings,

I have three old plastic "bubble" skylights on my roof that I would
like to replace with new Velux glass ones. The old skylights are
curb-mounted and, since the interior size of the opening is 21.5 x 45
1/4 inches and the "hole" underneath the bubble itself seems a
little bit bigger, I think the Velux FCM 2246 skylights will fit. The
slope of the roof seems to be 45 degrees.

The question is- what might be the labor cost for skylight replacement?
( the skylight itself+flushing kit is approximately $205 in Lowe's).
Since I already have skylights, I do not think I need any interior
finish or making /expanding openings in the roof.

I also think that an average roofer could do this kind of job so I
don't need any specialized contractors - is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Andrei K.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

wrote

I also think that an average roofer could do this kind of job so I
don't need any specialized contractors - is this true?

An average roofer, is a specialized contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree that roofers are contractors capable of doing special jobs such
as roofing and probably others such as skylight installation.

As a "specialized contractor" here I meant a Velux authorized skylight
installer - they could be found on a Velux website or a contractor that
specilaizes on skylight intstallation and nothing else (do they exist?)

Andrei K.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

wrote
I agree that roofers are contractors capable of doing special jobs such
as roofing and probably others such as skylight installation.

As a "specialized contractor" here I meant a Velux authorized skylight
installer - they could be found on a Velux website or a contractor that
specilaizes on skylight intstallation and nothing else (do they exist?)

Andrei K.

Any reputable roofing contractor should be able to install skylights.

I couldn't tell you, if there are contractors that specialize in skylights
or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:29:37 GMT, "Moisés Nacio" wrote:

Any reputable roofing contractor should be able to install skylights.

Yes, all can.

I couldn't tell you, if there are contractors that specialize in skylights
or not.

No, there are not.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I could do skylight replacement by getting on the roof myself, I
would do it. Unfortunately, my roof has 45 degrees or so slope and I
can't even stay on it. I also don't have long ladder or any other
tools/devices roofers use.

Robert, if you are talking about replacement of the old plastic
skylights with the new PLASTIC ones, you probably did not read my
initial post. I would like to get rid of these awful plastic bubbles
altogether and replace them with glass skylights. I hate bubbles and
think that they were invented by an enemy of (home owning) mankind-
they provide little or no thermal and noise insulation and looks ugly
after several years of use, as mine are. Looks like the only people who
love them are builders because plastic skylights are the cheapest.

By the way, I got a quota $550 for the whole replacement process,
including the cost of Velux skylight and flushing kit. Is this good?

Andrei

Robert Gammon wrote:
wrote:
Greetings,

I have three old plastic "bubble" skylights on my roof that I would
like to replace with new Velux glass ones. The old skylights are
curb-mounted and, since the interior size of the opening is 21.5 x 45
1/4 inches and the "hole" underneath the bubble itself seems a
little bit bigger, I think the Velux FCM 2246 skylights will fit. The
slope of the roof seems to be 45 degrees.

The question is- what might be the labor cost for skylight replacement?
( the skylight itself+flushing kit is approximately $205 in Lowe's).
Since I already have skylights, I do not think I need any interior
finish or making /expanding openings in the roof.

I also think that an average roofer could do this kind of job so I
don't need any specialized contractors - is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Andrei K.

Replacement domes can be ordered for under $100 each, shaped exactly to
fit your existing hardware with new seals for the dome. All you need to
do is get on the roof, remove the screws/clamps that hold the dome to
the fixture, clean the sill, install new gaskets, drop the dome in
place, put the frame back on, and screw/clamp the frame to the box.