Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird idea

Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20'
to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the
kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I
didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to
correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

It's combustible... That a good enough reason?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "HeyBub"
wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

It's combustible... That a good enough reason?

Is it combustible at temperatures of dryer exhaust? PVC burns, but it isn't
easy to ignite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

It's combustible... That a good enough reason?

Is it combustible at temperatures of dryer exhaust?

I don't know, and I don't want to find out -- since it releases poisonous
gases when it burns. I'm gonna stick with metal duct for dryer vent.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Combustibility, lint and static electricty. Sounds like a fun
combination.

Here's something pretty funny that I found at
http://www.askthebuilder.com/B228_In...yer_Vent.shtml

First the author (a "Nationally Syndicated Newspaper Columnist") says
there is no reason you can't use PVC, then adds that the manufacturer
might not want you to because it's combustible! So, according to him,
unless your specific dryer manufacturer says not to use PVC, it's OK.

"I have had to use four inch PVC pipe on occasion to vent dryers
through roofs. ... There is no reason why you can't use plastic pipe to
vent your dryer unless of course the manufacturer says not to. When I
did it, there were no restrictions as to using PVC material. There is
an outside chance that a manufacturer may not want you to use it
because the pipe is actually a combustible material. I would talk to
the local fire department and see what they say......"

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20'
to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the
kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I
didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to
correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

that runs way too long it will reward you in bigger bills and slower
drying let alone occasional lint clean out.

dryer vents should be as short and straight as possible

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally
about 20' to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the
sewer pipe (not the kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new
roof, I didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm
endeavoring to correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going
to be easier than dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Well some places sell cheap plastic flex hose for driers. That is a bad
idea. They collect lint nicely.

The idea that it is OK because the manufacturer did not prohibit it, is
a very poor argument. How many of you have ever read not to put water in
the fuel tank of your car rather than gasoline? They can't predict all the
foolish things people will think of.

As for PVC, I really don't know. I can see some advantages, but I also
see some potential problems. Considering using standard materials works and
the possible results (like death) for using the wrong materials could be
serious, I will stick with standard tested materials.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/wac....ap/index.html

As for PVC, I really don't know. I can see some advantages, but I also
see some potential problems. Considering using standard materials works and
the possible results (like death) for using the wrong materials could be
serious, I will stick with standard tested materials.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, delete the double zeroes after @
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are at or exceeding the maximum distance for residential
dryers. Check your particular model. Each fitting and turn
require a reduction in distance.

There is some good information he
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml
but you might note they do NOT recommend PVC due to static/lint
issues.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust
piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then
horizontally about 20' to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm
considering the sewer pipe (not the kind with holes) because
it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a
new roof, I didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now
I'm endeavoring to correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent
is going to be easier than dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20'
to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the
kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I
didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to
correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

..
Plastic is combustible
Recently replaced our flexible plastic dryer hose with a flexible
metalized one. Although our insurance companies require metalized as
part of new installs they do not necessarily tell you to replace the
plastic of existing installations.
Our flexible hose connects to a length of galvanized tin pipe duct
identical to that used for gutter drains. The thin Al of the new hose
is very delicate and perforates more easily than the plastic skin of
the old flex. hose.
BTW you can get light weight aluminum some of which comes flat with
edges that you snap together into a pipe after trimming it to length
with metal shears. Also there are 45s and 90s that are completely
rotatable which makes offsets and other angles such as getting over a
truss joist or into a soffit area much easier. We used that for our
bathroom exhaust.
One thing we found with bathroom exhaust duct in cold attic was
condensation; it may be wise to slope exhaust pipe downwards toward
outside. In cold weather a little 'beard' of frozen moisture appears on
the lip of the exhaust outlet. That moisture can drip through joins
onto ceiling insulation and ceilings. However the hotter exhaust from a
clothes dryer may avoid this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20'
to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the
kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I
didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to
correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

That is an extreme length for ducting a dryer.

As for easier to work with? I see very little difference between the
galv. metal and pvc. One needs a hacksaw to cut it with the other
tinsnips. One uses glue, the other just slips together. Haven't
checked prices recently but at a guess I suspect galv would be cheaper.

As for the 'combustibility' warnings. I don't think it would really be
in play minus a real fire to begin with. There is softening with heat
though.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

28' is not extreme. According to the chart at
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml some models allow 60
or more feet.

--
Steve Barker

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

That is an extreme length for ducting a dryer.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was really afraid of fire from that cheap white plastic durable
flexible easy to use vent pipe thats no longer on the market because of
fire risks.

a friend replced his with the new junk foil type.

i brought his old line home it was in his trash and tried setting it on
fire on the driveway.

it wouldnt burn. at most it might support combustion barely.

even with direct ignition from my mapp gas torch it wouldnt go on fire
just smolder and go out immediately when torch was removed.

personally i think it was safe.

kinda disappointed me with fire hose at ready nothing to put out

Posted to alt.home.repair

PVC Ducting

While PVC tubing looks like it would be ideal for dryer venting being
rigid and perfectly smooth, numerous technicians report that some sort
of static effect seems to take place during use which causes lint to
adhere to it, eventually leading to blockages. It may be best to avoid
this material for this application if you can use rigid metal ducting
instead

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Manufacturers have to allow for every possible
stupidity and lack of maintenance. I have used the
plastic flex hose and it works fine; I clean the
duct and the inside of the dryer housing
periodically. Currently replaced the split
plastic with thin metal flex, primarily because it
was cheaper. A normal operating dryer isn't
going to cause a problem, but if you use
corrugated anything you have to clean the piping
as it collects stuff. If the lint catches fire,
it will burn or melt the plastic.

I don't see the OP's sewer pipe causing any
problem since the temperature will be down as it
would be 8 feet away from the source. OTOH, a 20
foot horizontal run is a concern unless he has a
booster fan in the tube.

Never had a dryer that wasn't located close to an
outside wall, usually 2-3 feet of tube to the
outside. I would consider moving the dryer so
that it would be next to an outside wall; sounds
like a poor house design. But then I wouldn't
consider an AC unit in the attic, a non-vented
stove exhaust, seven smoke detector tied together,
and a whole lot of other ill conceived ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

it wouldnt burn. at most it might support combustion barely.

even with direct ignition from my mapp gas torch it wouldnt go on fire
just smolder and go out immediately when torch was removed.

personally i think it was safe.

kinda disappointed me with fire hose at ready nothing to put out

Most plastics used in buildings are made with non-flammable materials by use
of additives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
.
Plastic is combustible

Some are, most used in building are not. Fire retarding additives have been
around fo rmany years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

A potential problem is that the PVC pipe will not heat up enough to
evaporate water that causes lint to cling to the pipe. Lint buildup
would be a major concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
| Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

it is illegal
reason enough

| I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally
about 20'
| to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe
(not the
| kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

this is too long of a run for a dryer vent

| Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new
roof, I
| didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring
| correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
| dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

soffit vents for dryers suck
the lint gets all over the house and sometimes come in the house through
an open window.

| Suggestions welcome.

use metal 4 inch ducting with the least amount of elbows and no flexible
ducting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

A potential problem is that the PVC pipe will not heat up enough to
evaporate water that causes lint to cling to the pipe. Lint buildup
would be a major concern.

Good point. So one should insulate the dryer vent pipe, irrespective of the
pipe's composition.

Hmm. If you do that, who's to know what's under the insulation?

Insulating the vent pipe would make the technique of de-linting using a
propane torch easier too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:
"butwhat" wrote in message
ps.com...

personally I think you are a dumbass for giving lousy advice.
ever hear of static electricity igniting lint trapped in the plastic or
flexible ducting.

Bull! Static electricity causing lint to ignite is
in the same category as static electricity
causing fires in home workshops and cellphones
starting gasoline pump fires.

I have seen it burn down many rooms and/or houses in the last 25 years
or so.

No you haven't, Fires (small numbers) are cause by
the build up of lint in clothes dryers and exhaust
lines, but they were not ignited by static
electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
| Rick wrote:
| "butwhat" wrote in message
| ps.com...
|

| personally I think you are a dumbass for giving lousy advice.
| ever hear of static electricity igniting lint trapped in the plastic
or
| flexible ducting.
|
| Bull! Static electricity causing lint to ignite is
| in the same category as static electricity
| causing fires in home workshops and cellphones
| starting gasoline pump fires.

yes it does and yes I have seen it burn down many homes over the years.
also have seen vacuum systems with plastic pipes ignite.
the only way to stop static electricity from igniting in plastc pipes is
to install a bare copper wire in the pipes grounded to the unit and
grounded to each tool.

do not try to dis-credit my knowledge
for what I say is factual.

watch myth busters
haven't you seen that episode?
the static electricity that is on your clothes from sliding off fabric
seats causes static electricity to ignite the gasoline fumes while
pumping gas.
and yes it did catch fire.

so there ..................Mr Bullthon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 05:45:06 -0500, "Rick" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
| Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

it is illegal
reason enough

For what it's worth, Harvel Plastics makes
a CPVC duct, but I don't think it comes as small as
4" ID.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
| Rick wrote:
| "butwhat" wrote in message
| ps.com...
|

| personally I think you are a dumbass for giving lousy advice.
| ever hear of static electricity igniting lint trapped in the plastic
or
| flexible ducting.
|
| Bull! Static electricity causing lint to ignite is
| in the same category as static electricity
| causing fires in home workshops and cellphones
| starting gasoline pump fires.

yes it does and yes I have seen it burn down many homes over the years.

Must live in area with a very high proportion of
stupid people to see so many homes burn down,
regardless of the cause. (or you are very old).

also have seen vacuum systems with plastic pipes ignite.
the only way to stop static electricity from igniting in plastc pipes is
to install a bare copper wire in the pipes grounded to the unit and
grounded to each tool.

Yeah, that will work.

do not try to dis-credit my knowledge
for what I say is factual.

Suggest that you point to a government source of
such information.

watch myth busters
haven't you seen that episode?
the static electricity that is on your clothes from sliding off fabric
seats causes static electricity to ignite the gasoline fumes while
pumping gas.
and yes it did catch fire.

Igniting gas fumes with static electricity is
entirely different from igniting lint. And cell
phones do not cause fires at gas stations.

Yes a few, very few cases of static electricity
igniting gasoline fumes while fueling vehicles at
commercial pumps are documented. Caused by the
person getting back in the vehicle after fueling
started. Easy to fix, don't get back into the
vehicle until you hang up the fuel nozzle!

so there ..................Mr Bullthon