Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Weird idea

Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally
about 20' to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the
sewer pipe (not the kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new
roof, I didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm
endeavoring to correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going
to be easier than dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Well some places sell cheap plastic flex hose for driers. That is a bad
idea. They collect lint nicely.

The idea that it is OK because the manufacturer did not prohibit it, is
a very poor argument. How many of you have ever read not to put water in
the fuel tank of your car rather than gasoline? They can't predict all the
foolish things people will think of.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/wac....ap/index.html

As for PVC, I really don't know. I can see some advantages, but I also
see some potential problems. Considering using standard materials works and
the possible results (like death) for using the wrong materials could be
serious, I will stick with standard tested materials.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY