Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Weird idea

HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20'
to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the
kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I
didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to
correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than
dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

That is an extreme length for ducting a dryer.

As for easier to work with? I see very little difference between the
galv. metal and pvc. One needs a hacksaw to cut it with the other
tinsnips. One uses glue, the other just slips together. Haven't
checked prices recently but at a guess I suspect galv would be cheaper.

As for the 'combustibility' warnings. I don't think it would really be
in play minus a real fire to begin with. There is softening with heat
though.

Harry K