Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Weird idea

Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?

I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally
about 20' to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the
sewer pipe (not the kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new
roof, I didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm
endeavoring to correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going
to be easier than dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

Suggestions welcome.

Well some places sell cheap plastic flex hose for driers. That is a bad
idea. They collect lint nicely.

The idea that it is OK because the manufacturer did not prohibit it, is
a very poor argument. How many of you have ever read not to put water in
the fuel tank of your car rather than gasoline? They can't predict all the
foolish things people will think of.

As for PVC, I really don't know. I can see some advantages, but I also
see some potential problems. Considering using standard materials works and
the possible results (like death) for using the wrong materials could be
serious, I will stick with standard tested materials.

Manufacturers have to allow for every possible
stupidity and lack of maintenance. I have used the
plastic flex hose and it works fine; I clean the
duct and the inside of the dryer housing
periodically. Currently replaced the split
plastic with thin metal flex, primarily because it
was cheaper. A normal operating dryer isn't
going to cause a problem, but if you use
corrugated anything you have to clean the piping
as it collects stuff. If the lint catches fire,
it will burn or melt the plastic.

I don't see the OP's sewer pipe causing any
problem since the temperature will be down as it
would be 8 feet away from the source. OTOH, a 20
foot horizontal run is a concern unless he has a
booster fan in the tube.

Never had a dryer that wasn't located close to an
outside wall, usually 2-3 feet of tube to the
outside. I would consider moving the dryer so
that it would be next to an outside wall; sounds
like a poor house design. But then I wouldn't
consider an AC unit in the attic, a non-vented
stove exhaust, seven smoke detector tied together,
and a whole lot of other ill conceived ideas.