Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I stop new toilet seat from slipping?

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Try putting some contact adhesive between the seat hinges and the bowl.
Clean both surfaces with alcohol first.

Of course you could always pack some Bondo into the holes around the
bolts, but that could make future changes a bit more difficult.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think a Colostomy would do the trick.... :-)

Seriously, Maybe a non-slip seat. Might have to get another if plastic,
or rubber washers dont work

Posted to alt.home.repair

The last toilet seat I installed had double sided foam tape cut outs that
looked like washers and fit between the toilet seat and the ceramic.
Tightning the nut down caused you to tape the seat to the bowl. Prevented it
from twisting

MAybe I would try some foam tape available just about anywhere. Double sided
carpet tape may also work

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

My experience, a combination of the holes in the porcelain being
deliberately large, plus the bolts working loose because the nuts don't
have a lot of grip on the porcelain.... the various fixes I've seen
both on new seats and on old toidy's I've taken apart include the
"sticky pad" methods described in the thread, as well as tapered
conical washers that force the bolts to center in the holes; looks like
maybe something like conical faucet washers might do it; to indeed,
filling the holes with putty before tightening it all up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abe wrote:
as well as tapered
conical washers that force the bolts to center in the holes; looks like
maybe something like conical faucet washers might do it; to indeed,
filling the holes with putty before tightening it all up.

That's the right fix because you don't want to modify the holes or put
on an adhesive that you will have a hard time removing later.

Go to the hardware store and find those conical things. They work
great for me. They're not really washers, but more of a conical nut.

The best bet is to buy a seat that has the correct
stuff included. The best seem to be the nylon
bolts and nuts. And the best indeed have a
conical washer on one end and a conical nut on the
other.

Maybe the problem is that the seat slips on the
rod because of large tolerances, rather than the
rod slipping around because the bolts don't hold
it tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:44:06 -0500, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

The foam pad mentioned previously is what I've see in some new toilet
seat packages. I bet a small piece of old inner-tube, cut to size
would stop slipping.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

The foam pad mentioned previously is what I've see in some new toilet
seat packages. I bet a small piece of old inner-tube, cut to size
would stop slipping.

Or a dab or just about any caulk.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:34:22 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

The foam pad mentioned previously is what I've see in some new toilet
seat packages. I bet a small piece of old inner-tube, cut to size
would stop slipping.

Or a dab or just about any caulk.

Bob

Not painter's latex, please. Some silly-caulk, yep .. agree. It won't
warrant railroad car construction adhesive.

I prefer the parts; supposedly packed with the product.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob kater wrote:
sure you bought the correct seat for the toilet you have??? Never had
that issue before.

Just bought new plastic ones myself and have the same issue. It's a combination
of a slick material and bolts that are considerably smaller than the whole they
go through.

There were no pads or conical washers with mine either. I was going to try to
come up with a sleeve that would make the bolt-to-commode clearance a but
tighter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

see www.hdsupply.com toilet seat gasket if needed, but spend this
$20.99 on a good seat.and use a stainless steel threaded molded to
hinge of seat with stainless nuts.
HVY DUTY WHITE CLOSED FRONT TOILET SEAT
Heavy-Duty Closed Front Plastic Toilet Seat - White - Fits Round Front
Toilet Bowls - Stainless Steel Hinge Post - 5 Lb 5 Oz - Mfg #420HPSS
420HPSS
568740 1-5 $20.99
6-11 $19.99
12+ $18.99
http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=&categoryId=

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote in
:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

Reminds me of days at the beach when I was a kid. Have to take a dump
but having too much fun in the water. Finally it gets wicked and run to
the ****ter with wet suit on. Sit on toilet and ass slips all over the
place.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit
between the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the
bolts - just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:12:23 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

You need ceramic handles to hold on to. Try
www.cermamictoilethandles.com .

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Try putting some contact adhesive between the seat hinges and the bowl.
Clean both surfaces with alcohol first.

Of course you could always pack some Bondo into the holes around the
bolts, but that could make future changes a bit more difficult.

Grind flat spots on the bolts first.

HTH,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 28 Dec 2006 11:22:13 -0800, "avid_hiker"
wrote:

I think a Colostomy would do the trick.... :-)

Seriously, Maybe a non-slip seat. Might have to get another if plastic,
or rubber washers dont work

The remedy is to put velcro on the seat, and the other half of the
velcro on one's bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:
bob kater wrote:
sure you bought the correct seat for the toilet you have??? Never had
that issue before.

Just bought new plastic ones myself and have the same issue. It's a
combination of a slick material and bolts that are considerably smaller than
the whole they go through.

I had the problem in the past. What I ended up doing was going out and buying a
new seat that had a solid bar across the back where the seat and cover flip
down. Once I had one of those, there was no way for the seat to slip to either
side.... the other side held it in place and the bar kept it rigid.

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product2420

This isn't the exact one I got (bought mine at Lowes) but you can see the bar
I'm talking about at the back of the seat alongside the hinges.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bundy locked in porta-potty as kid

Al Bundy wrote:

Reminds me of days at the beach when I was a kid. Have to take a dump
but having too much fun in the water. Finally it gets wicked and run to
the ****ter with wet suit on. Sit on toilet and ass slips all over the
place.

nobody told you to play in it, that was on you

I was there when a grown woman pee'd on a pair of jeans in JCPenney
dressing room
i knew the lady, I handed her the jeans she pee'd on.

by whatever means is neccessary

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Go to Lowes and pick up a pack of seat repair washers. The blue-labeled bubble
packs were hanging at the beginning of one of the plumbing supply aisles. The
package contains 6 black plastic conical-shaped washers and a hand wrench to
tighten the nuts. The wrench looks something like a gray plastic nut driver.
This worked for me on two toilets with your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Rick Brandt wrote:
bob kater wrote:
sure you bought the correct seat for the toilet you have??? Never
had that issue before.

Just bought new plastic ones myself and have the same issue. It's a
combination of a slick material and bolts that are considerably
smaller than the whole they go through.

I had the problem in the past. What I ended up doing was going out
and buying a new seat that had a solid bar across the back where the
seat and cover flip down. Once I had one of those, there was no way
for the seat to slip to either side.... the other side held it in
place and the bar kept it rigid.
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product2420

This isn't the exact one I got (bought mine at Lowes) but you can see
the bar I'm talking about at the back of the seat alongside the
hinges.

That was the kind I replaced. While I prefer the look of that style hinge, all
the tightening (and loosening) has to be done from the bottom which was
difficult on both of my toilets due to the clearance around the toilet. Given
the length of the bolt and the funny plastic nut used I had no tool that would
fit. Was stuck using Pliers.

That made it difficult to get the bolts snug enough when installing and it was a
real PITA to get those off as one of the threads was "stiff" all the way to the
end on at least one side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

I have had that problem for years. It appears to me
that a big part of the problem is those plastic bolts
they provide with them. I have gotten so I throw
them away and get some brass bolts. With those I can
tighten them down enough to hold. I do use the conical
washers that come with the plastic bolts.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Use bondo or quksteel to make you a conical washer. While still
pliable, make a small donut shaped piece and place it in the top of
the porcelain holes and install the seat and let it set for 15
minutes.

It comes off with the seat with a tap on the bolt from the bottom.

wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

I've seen some newer toilet seats come with a double sides foam tap,
shapped like an o-ring, to help secure the seat. It works like a
washer, and keeps the seat from sliding. Might want to see if they
have this, or rubber washers to help keep your seat secure.

Just guessing.....

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. They seemed pretty obvious
in retrospect, but I'd not thought of them before. I couldn't find
conical washers that would accommodate the bolt and fit into the holes
in the toilet, so I just got some double-stick tape, and that seems to
be working fine.

I actually did some checking and I guess the toilet seat I bought
probably did come with some adhesive pads or conical washers, but I must
have just torn through the box, grabbed the seat and the bolts, and
thrown the other stuff out. Oh well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This just came across my desk.

Once again you wake me up for the trivials.

Nobody knows anything
Who cares
I didn't see anything
No Cover up attempt

- The Virus

12+ $18.99http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-...

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently replaced atoiletseatin my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shiftingseat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, thisseatcontinues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actualtoiletfixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a newtoiletseat(seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent theseatfrom slipping?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28 2006, 6:25 pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:34:22 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Frankly I am getting sick and tired hearing about your Master painting
ability and your skills at taping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader-of-some-jacks, Mel wrote:
tradejack wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.
But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.
I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.
So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.
And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Try these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BI...&robot_redir=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

tradejack wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.
But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on
a slipping and shifting seat, obviously.
I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I
think is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the
forces of use, this seat continues to slide.
So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit
between the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold
the bolts - just something to take friction out of the equation.
And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Try these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BI...&robot_redir=1

I just use Lock-tite on the bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tradejack wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.
But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on
a slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

Try these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BI...&robot_redir=1

I just use Lock-tite on the bolts.

How about a couple of Velcro strips on your ass? They make it with
adhesive to apply. You really only have to do one cheek for it to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2014 2:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.
But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on
a slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

How about a couple of Velcro strips on your ass? They make it with
adhesive to apply. You really only have to do one cheek for it to work.

He'd have to sit on the pot with the lid and seat
up, as the seat shifts. Velcro on the toilet bowl.
But, it sure would work.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

tradejack wrote:

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.
But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a
slipping and shifting seat, obviously.
I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think
is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of
use, this seat continues to slide.
So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between
the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts -
just something to take friction out of the equation.
And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as
hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems
excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Try these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BI...&robot_redir=1

Just be sure the toilet is at no more than a 20 degree angle.from
horizontal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader-of-some-jacks, yeastbite wrote:
There is some bad advice below. Adhesive washers don't last. the main reason a
seat slips is that the hole in the ceramic is much bigger than the bolt
holding the seat down, so eventually loosening occurs. get the spoecial
tapered or conical washers mentioned to pack the bolt so it is tight in the
hole-or do what i did and get a piece of the right size rubber fuel line from
your auto parts shop and use this as the washer. also you can get stabilizers
that screw into the underside of the toilet seat and stop sideways
movement-google toilet stabilizers or look on ebay

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-179901-.htm

Cardale garage door wires and cones - anyway to stop them slipping? Clive UK diy 0 December 16th 06 05:13 PM
Cherry Toilet Seat Lawrence Hughes Woodworking 10 November 2nd 06 01:13 AM
Fitting toilet seat R D S UK diy 13 November 1st 06 09:17 PM
Replacing toilet seat Martin UK diy 5 October 16th 06 05:44 AM
Getting toilet seat off? souls UK diy 19 October 13th 05 01:50 PM