Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing toilet seat

I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain encloses the
sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the seat. The pan is too
close to the rear wall to allow me to get in even by bending my arm
somewhere between the wrist and elbow. (!) The seat needs replacing. Are
there tools available to do this? Do I have to remove the pan?

Advice please.

--
Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:11:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain encloses the
sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the seat. The pan is too
close to the rear wall to allow me to get in even by bending my arm
somewhere between the wrist and elbow. (!) The seat needs replacing. Are
there tools available to do this? Do I have to remove the pan?

Advice please.

There should be 2 or 4 screws (possibly behind plastic camouflaging trim)
at the sides near the base these (wood)screw into plastic brackets behind
the ceramic. One you have undone these you should be able to move the pan
forward and various maintenance actions. The outlet connector will likely
be a flexible hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain encloses the
sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the seat. The pan is too
close to the rear wall to allow me to get in even by bending my arm
somewhere between the wrist and elbow. (!) The seat needs replacing. Are
there tools available to do this? Do I have to remove the pan?

Advice please.

--
Martin

Do you know what make it is? Roca do a toilet which sounds similar,
where the seat has a quick release bracket to be taken off for
cleaning, and the mechanism attaches from the top - no access to
underneath required. I've got the instructions for the one I'm fitting
next week if it is similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:11:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain
encloses the sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the
seat.

Nuts or wing nuts? Can you get at real nuts with a socket and extension
with a ratchet driver out the back?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Martin" contains these words:

I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain
encloses the
sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the seat. The pan is too
close to the rear wall to allow me to get in even by bending my arm
somewhere between the wrist and elbow. (!) The seat needs replacing. Are
there tools available to do this? Do I have to remove the pan?

Would this help?

Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:

I have moved into a house with a "modern" toilet. The porcelain encloses the
sides giving no side access to the nuts attaching the seat. The pan is too

I installed one that sounds a bit like that.

In fact it did not have any nuts at all. The bolts passed through some
rubber wallplug type affairs that had a threadded nut at the end. As you
tightened the bolt from the top, it shortened the rubber bung and forced
its radius to expand, thereby jamming it into the holes in the procelain.

--
Cheers,

John.

Considerations when installing tile and replacing toilet. ianjones Home Repair 3 October 3rd 06 08:46 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
intermittent weak flush on toilet Timo Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 01:40 PM
HELP replacing 'piston assembly' on toilet [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 4th 05 11:40 PM
Replace toilet in CA due to mineral build-up?? dave Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 03:51 AM