Timo

Default intermittent weak flush on toilet

We have two toilets on the second floor of our house. One toilet has
frrequent but intermittent weak flush. A few flushes in a row might flush
strongly, then one, or maybe two,will be weak. The water in the toilet never
quite gets beyond a rapid swirl. And then there's another strong, complete
flush. Mind you, this is with nothing but water in the toilet. When I say
"in a row" I mean simply letting the toilet tank fill completely and then
flushing the toilet after each fill.

We've had a plumber use a snake to make sure nothing is lodged in the "S" of
the toilet. He said it could be a bird trapped in the vent that exits the
roof, and that if we bought a new super-dooper water-pressure toilet from
them ($900 installed) they'd run a snake up towards the rood and down
towards the sewer from opening in the bathroom, at no extra charge. He
lifted the tank lid to look inside, and noted that some bubbles were coming
up into the tank but did not explain the significance of this symptom. What
do bubbles coming up into the tank point to? Is the toilet not seated
properly on the lead pipe in the floor?

Thanks
Timo

Jeff Wisnia

Timo wrote:

[...]

Are you SURE the tank is full prior to each flush?

Try leaving the tank lid off for a while and eyeball the water level
before you flush.

Have you reamed out the water discharge holes under the rim of the bowl
with a small screwdriver or a piece of coathanger wire?

When you get that "weak flush" does the water level in the bowl rise
unusually high?

Give us a bit more info and soeone will find the answer for you.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Timo

Jeff,
Confirmed, the water level in the tank does rise to the fill line.
Yes, the water level on the weak flushes does rise unusually high.

I have not reamed out the water discharge holes under the rim of the bowl
yet, but will do that and report back.

Thanks for the help.
Timo

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Timo wrote:

[...]

Jeff Wisnia

Timo wrote:

[...]

Even though the plumber ran a snake through the S-bend of the toilet,
there may still be something solid in there like a jar lid which can get
pushed aside by the snake, but remains there to flip to it's "closed"
position just whne you think it won't happen again.

Even though it's a bit of a pain, I think you might have to pull the
toilet up and lay it on its side so you can see if there's anything in
the S-bend from the bottom end.

You'd also be able to see if there's anything funny lodged in the elbow
bend under the toilet.

The bubbles in the tank you mentioned are curious. If they are still
there can you see where they are coming from?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Timo

Fixed. I replaced the wax gasket where the toilet meets the pipe in the
floor. No longer a weak flush. Air leak must have been interfering with the
creation of the siphon?
Timo

whodat

no, you probably dislodged a toothbrush, plastic toy, comb, or a
favorite is -those small soaps the ladies keep in a basket on the lid.

--
whodat
whodat's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=35

increasing the force of a flush in a toilet Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 13 May 7th 05 03:48 AM
Lazy toilet flush tflfb Home Repair 2 July 8th 04 01:53 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Power Flush toilet problems William Lee Home Repair 1 December 25th 03 11:23 PM
Toilet won't flush without holding down handle Bob Greene Home Repair 4 October 26th 03 11:42 PM