Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Considerations when installing tile and replacing toilet.

I am preparing to install ceramic tile in our master bedroom. While
doing that I will be replacing the toilet. Thinking ahead, will be
there be an issue with the level of the toilet flange in respect to the
toilet and how they mate up? I will be adding 1/2" of cement board plus
tile and mortar and I am afraid there will be a gap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ianjones" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am preparing to install ceramic tile in our master bedroom. While
doing that I will be replacing the toilet. Thinking ahead, will be
there be an issue with the level of the toilet flange in respect to the
toilet and how they mate up? I will be adding 1/2" of cement board plus
tile and mortar and I am afraid there will be a gap.

Any suggestions?

You'll be adding close to 3/4 of an inch, so you'll need to deal with it.
They have "make-up" flanges (not sure what they're really called) in the
plumbing department that are designed for just this use. You'll also need
extra-long toilet bolts for the flange (unless the makeup one has some
provision for putting shorter ones in higher up). I just was looking at
these at Lowes the other day and they have at least 3 different options.

We just did something similar, only I just added tile over a slab so it was
only being raised about 1/4. Still, I needed the longer bolts and an
extra-thick wax ring. I personally wouldn't want to use wax to span 3/4"
inch like you have though. If you can raise it up 1/2" then you could use
the thicker wax to span the rest.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

ianjones wrote:
I am preparing to install ceramic tile in our master bedroom. While
doing that I will be replacing the toilet. Thinking ahead, will be
there be an issue with the level of the toilet flange in respect to the
toilet and how they mate up? I will be adding 1/2" of cement board plus
tile and mortar and I am afraid there will be a gap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

A new flange on top of the tiles? Or tile around the old flange and
use longer bolts and a wax seal with a platic extension to reach the
drain:

http://www.toiletology.com/wax-ring.shtml
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homem...t/waxring3.php
http://www.plumb-bob.com/order.html

These should get you started...

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 2 Oct 2006 14:59:31 -0700, "ianjones" wrote:

I am preparing to install ceramic tile in our master bedroom. While
doing that I will be replacing the toilet. Thinking ahead, will be
there be an issue with the level of the toilet flange in respect to the
toilet and how they mate up? I will be adding 1/2" of cement board plus
tile and mortar and I am afraid there will be a gap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

They make large wax rings that will take care of your worries.