pgg

Default toilet, sink above tile?

I need to undertake a bathroom remodeling project (people who've read my

I plan on replacing a vanity/sink with a pedestal sink and possibly
replace the toilet as well. I will need to pull up the existing vinyl
sheet flooring. Tub and tub surround will stay.

I've Googled and read that the pedestal sink goes above new flooring
(which will likely be ceramic tile). What about the toilet? Do I need to
remove the toilet, lay tile, then have new toilet installed?

My initial thoughts are to remove the old vanity cabinet myself (because
the sink is actually attached to the wall and the vanity cabinet build
around it), remove the flooring and then lay tile. After tile is laid,
call the plumber and have him remove the sink and install new pedestal
sink.

But the toilet could throw a wrench into things if I have to remove it to
lay tile.

Advice?

Thanks
m Ransley

Fisrt a ceramic tile needs a subfloor that won`t move you probably don`t
have one, concrete board should be used it is the thinnest strongest
material for tile, even joists can be weak , rotted . Take everything
out, old baths often have rotted wood that has to be fixed first.
Honestly you could have a major job but won`t know till you look . This
could be a reason it is not tile now. Get out a pro to give ideas ,
better then finding out the worst is a total redo.

Harry K

pgg wrote:
[...]

Simple answer. Pull the toilet too. It is simple to pull, simple to
replace (you don't need a plumber) and a -lot- easier to install tile
with it out of there.

Harry K

m Ransley

Your only bath, thats why they make 5 gallon buckets and Burger King has
clean washrooms. Tub stays but if supports are rotted no. My last 2 day
bath redo was new sub floor, new joists supports even the ceiling below
had to go. For years water went to the lowspot, the toilet and rotted
alot of wood. It ended up being a week using a 5. Removing the vinyl
will show alot as will floor flex indicate rot. Tile needs to not move
at all. A pro will point out possible issues. Baths easily take the
longest of any job due to unforseens from years of water unseen to you
but finding wood to rot.

Rudy

Fisrt a ceramic tile needs a subfloor that won`t move you probably don`t
have one, concrete board should be used it is the thinnest strongest
material for tile,

I have to take exception with the part "concrete board..strongest"

Concrete board has minimum strength..You can put it on walls as a tile
backer but as a sub floor, they need something stiff and strong under
tile..like a 5/8 min T&G subfloor..preferably 3/4" and even then, another
layer of something strong like 3/8" ply..glued and screwed. If the floor
flexes, so will the cement board.

plumber failed to fix drip pgg Home Repair 21 April 12th 05 06:49 PM
new tile and toilet flange steve Home Repair 3 March 22nd 05 11:49 AM
fasten sink to a 2" tile counter a guest Home Repair 5 February 26th 05 12:36 AM
Sink in Toilet katogrove UK diy 25 October 31st 04 12:28 AM
Silly Question about Installing Tile in a Bathroom Bill Leska Home Repair 9 December 24th 03 03:30 PM