Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing connector from Christmas lights

For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Where's Houdini when you need him? If I had to do it, I would carefully
mark the wires a few inches from the connector, cut the wires, thread the
wires, then solder them back together with a sleeve of heat shrink tape over
each conductor

"Wanda" wrote in message
news:901831888f0bf43a896c757ef8849f7a@homerepairli ve.com...
For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[these days there is a fused plug on the end of christmas light
strings. rewiring this would create a child hazard with wire nuts or
crimps exposed.]
can you run a short lampcord extension cord thru the block, replace the
male plug with a replacement male, and plug in the complete christmas
string inside the project into the female end of the extension? this
would presume you don't have sharp glass edges, otherwise a threaded
lamp rod with end nuts might be used. knot as needed for strain relief.
or, at walmart i saw short strings of battery operated christmas lights
which could be safely wired to an ac/dc adapter.

Wanda wrote:
For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

A friend of mine made those lighted glass blocks last Chistmas. She
found cheap icicle lights at the dollar store. They only had a plug on
one end. No end to end connection. Try there.

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wanda wrote:
For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

I would just push the light through the hole and use clear hot glue to
keep the light in place. No need to push the connector through. You may
also be able to find a rubber grommet at Lowes or Home Depot that will
fit your length, width, and depth. I would take the window glass block
with you and your pre-cut holes to an associate at either of those
stores. Try a couple grommets and bring a bulb with you to test. You
might be able to find something just right if you don't mind black
grommets in your holes. This would probably hold better than glue.
Simply stick the grommet in, then push the small christmas light bulb
through the hole as far as possible and without breaking it. Keep it
connected to the light connector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:07:12 -0600, "Wanda"
wrote:

For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings.

I have a few old 50-light strings that lack the female connector on
the other end. I haven't seen any recent ones.

My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

There should be just 2 wires going to that connector, which is not a
part of that series (it's used only when you connect another string).
You can cut it off without affecting that set. Do something to
insulate the wires.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:13:00 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Where's Houdini when you need him? If I had to do it, I would carefully
mark the wires a few inches from the connector, cut the wires, thread the
wires, then solder them back together with a sleeve of heat shrink tape over
each conductor

Think about that. If they were set up that way, you'd have to put a
shorting block on the last string, and they'd get dimmer the more
strings you connect.

On most sets, soldering those wires together would create a short
circuit. The series circuit, going through (usually 50) bulbs, does
not extend to the connector. It stops at the last bulb.

On most miniature lights, the wiring looks like this (view this with
fixed-width font, of curse):

male female
end end

--fuse-------*------------------------------X-----

\--bulb----bulb----bulb---\

--fuse---------------------------------*----X-----

The "X" marks show where you'd be cutting.

"Wanda" wrote in message
news:901831888f0bf43a896c757ef8849f7a@homerepairl ive.com...
For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Nov 2006 15:26:29 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

[these days there is a fused plug on the end of christmas light
strings. rewiring this would create a child hazard with wire nuts or
crimps exposed.]

You sure read that differently than I did. It sounded like Wanda
wanted to remove the FEMALE end (the one that's there so you can add
more strings). This has nothing to do with the fuses, which are in the
MALE end (plug).

Wanda wrote:
For a craft project a need lights that have a string of lights with only
the plug on them. All the lights I look at have a connector as well to
add extra light strings. My projedt requires that I put the string of
lights through a 1/2 inch hole in a glass block, I cannot get the
connector through this opening so I need to remove in. How will I do this
and still have a working set of lights?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:54:22 -0500, (Pat) wrote:

A friend of mine made those lighted glass blocks last Chistmas. She
found cheap icicle lights at the dollar store. They only had a plug on
one end. No end to end connection. Try there.

Pat

If I was doing that, I would consider that the dollar store is a
couple of miles away, and the scissors and tape are HERE NOW.