Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Your name

Default Christmas lights

Hi

Christmas lights wired in series

240 volt mains ac - 30 lights

what voltage does each bulb have to be?

any words of wisdom?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nvic

I'd say 8 volts if put in series. Math: 240 / 30 = 8 Volts

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Your name spake thus:

Christmas lights wired in series

240 volt mains ac - 30 lights

what voltage does each bulb have to be?

any words of wisdom?

Yes--simple arithmetic: 240/30. I leave the answer as an exercise for
the reader.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Your name wrote:
Hi

Christmas lights wired in series

240 volt mains ac - 30 lights

what voltage does each bulb have to be?

any words of wisdom?

Are they really in series? That is, when one goes out do they all go
out? Some light strings are series/parallel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C

Travis Jordan wrote:

Are they really in series? That is, when one goes out do they all go
out?

'I say, d'you know those olympic synchronised swimmers? If one drowns,
do they all drown?'

Some light strings are series/parallel.

Most 240V sets (UK anyway) are all in series, but each bulb is designed
to self-short if the filament fails - so the rest of the set remain
alight, though sharing now a higher voltage per bulb. Eventually, after
more bulb failures (due to overrun) the fuse bulb will blow and tommy
will get upset, bawl out tears, and santa will head seriously for the
drinks cupboard again.

What's 'Your name' worrying about Christmas for? It's more than six
months away!

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Adrian C wrote:
Eventually, after more bulb failures (due to overrun) the fuse bulb
will blow and tommy will get upset, bawl out tears, and santa will
head seriously for the drinks cupboard again.

Um, cocktail hour here in the states. Good idea.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Adrian C wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:

Are they really in series? That is, when one goes out do they all go
out?

'I say, d'you know those olympic synchronised swimmers? If one drowns,
do they all drown?'

Some light strings are series/parallel.

Most 240V sets (UK anyway) are all in series, but each bulb is designed
to self-short if the filament fails - so the rest of the set remain
alight, though sharing now a higher voltage per bulb. Eventually, after
more bulb failures (due to overrun) the fuse bulb will blow and tommy
will get upset, bawl out tears, and santa will head seriously for the
drinks cupboard again.

Most everywhere else are too, though often the larger sets are segmented
with several smaller series sections.

I have one set of UK miniature lights which is very unusual from my
perspective as it has sections of 10 2.4v bulbs in series and runs from
a 24V transformer, that's something I've never seen on this side of the
pond.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW

On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:13:18 -0700 David Nebenzahl
wrote in Message id:
:

Your name spake thus:

Christmas lights wired in series

240 volt mains ac - 30 lights

what voltage does each bulb have to be?

any words of wisdom?

Yes--simple arithmetic: 240/30. I leave the answer as an exercise for
the reader.

Can you give me a little hint?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

JW wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:13:18 -0700 David Nebenzahl
wrote in Message id:
:

Your name spake thus:

Christmas lights wired in series

240 volt mains ac - 30 lights

what voltage does each bulb have to be?

any words of wisdom?

Yes--simple arithmetic: 240/30. I leave the answer as an exercise for
the reader.

Can you give me a little hint?

I'd give you a hint, but I'm getting a little old, and don't
understand this new math, so....

I'm pretty sure that these youngsters today got one part
wrong. They keep saying pie are square, and that's just
not right! Even us old guys know that pie are round,
it's cake that square!

Take care.

Ken

Blowing transformers for low voltage kitchen lights Rick Home Repair 6 January 9th 06 01:53 PM
Christmas lights - just light up already [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 20th 05 06:19 PM
weird lights issue Sasha Home Repair 18 December 14th 05 02:51 PM
You're All Invited to a Politically Correct Christmas Party [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 6th 05 11:09 AM
Possibly dumb question about Christmas lights Banty Home Repair 10 December 30th 04 03:35 AM