Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Christmas lights

Adrian C wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:

Are they really in series? That is, when one goes out do they all go
out?

'I say, d'you know those olympic synchronised swimmers? If one drowns,
do they all drown?'

Some light strings are series/parallel.

Most 240V sets (UK anyway) are all in series, but each bulb is designed
to self-short if the filament fails - so the rest of the set remain
alight, though sharing now a higher voltage per bulb. Eventually, after
more bulb failures (due to overrun) the fuse bulb will blow and tommy
will get upset, bawl out tears, and santa will head seriously for the
drinks cupboard again.

Most everywhere else are too, though often the larger sets are segmented
with several smaller series sections.

I have one set of UK miniature lights which is very unusual from my
perspective as it has sections of 10 2.4v bulbs in series and runs from
a 24V transformer, that's something I've never seen on this side of the
pond.