Banty

Default Possibly dumb question about Christmas lights

My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas lights on all
the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including overnight. For the magical
feeling it's supposed to invoke, and wanting to wake up to the sight of the lit
tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks,
Banty

Matt

Probably depends mostly on the type of bulbs, and the dryness of the
tree. If they are cool bulbs, and the tree isn't directly off of
"Christmas vacation", you are probably ok.

On the other hand, most light sets are crappy $2.55 sets just waiting
to short circuit (IMO)

You could put in a timer (available at any home store) to turn them off
after you go to bed, and on again before you get up.

Matt

After further thought, the fireman in me came alive. It's been awhile,
but I can recall stories of families killed because their tree torched.
Might not happen to you - I would even go so far as to say probably
wont happen..... is it worth taking the chance?

willshak

On 12/28/2004 3:45 PM US(ET), Banty took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas lights on all
the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including overnight. For the magical
feeling it's supposed to invoke, and wanting to wake up to the sight of the lit
tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks,
Banty

Do you mean other than to your electric bill?
Tell them if they were truly magical, they would light without electricity.

--
Bill
Banty

In article .com, Matt says...

Probably depends mostly on the type of bulbs, and the dryness of the
tree. If they are cool bulbs, and the tree isn't directly off of
"Christmas vacation", you are probably ok.

The tree is a new artificial pre-strung tree. The other lights are pretty
decent and new.

On the other hand, most light sets are crappy $2.55 sets just waiting
to short circuit (IMO)

You could put in a timer (available at any home store) to turn them off
after you go to bed, and on again before you get up.

That would be a lot of timers. We're pretty decked out :-)

Banty

Joseph Meehan

Banty wrote:
My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas
lights on all the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including
overnight. For the magical feeling it's supposed to invoke, and
wanting to wake up to the sight of the lit tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks,
Banty

My neighbor across the street had a small fire and called the fire
department. In five minutes the small fire was out. However they saw the
Christmas lights attached to the house in April. The neighbor did not
bother to take them down and put them up each year. The firemen made it
clear that they would be back in a week and if the lights were not off the
house they would declare the home unfit to habitation. The lights came off.
I might add that your insurance company may not like the idea and may have a
clause in your contract that could cost your insurance coverage if you keep
using them.

Regular cheap Christmas lights are not designed for year around use.
They should be used once a year and inspected each year as they are put up.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

effi

"Banty" wrote in message
My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas lights
on all
the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including overnight. For the magical
feeling it's supposed to invoke, and wanting to wake up to the sight of
the lit
tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks,
Banty

two dangers at least

1) this danger will become apparent on your next electricity bill, unless
you have averaged billing

2) the danger of being disappointed if expected magical feelings aren't
invoked

beyond that, seems christmas trees can catch fire, resulting in destruction,
and maybe even death

maybe christmas is about risking death while enriching energy companies and
keeping fire departments busy

Phisherman

On 28 Dec 2004 12:45:30 -0800, Banty wrote:

My family has gotten in to the habit of leaving all the Christmas lights on all
the time (indoor - tree, garlands), including overnight. For the magical
feeling it's supposed to invoke, and wanting to wake up to the sight of the lit
tree.

Any danger to this?

Thanks,
Banty

I would not do it as there is some risk. Use a timer.