Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Toilet roll holder: how high, how far?

You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ours was mounted on the wall by the builder/plumber. When you sit on the
"john" you should be able to reach it whether you are right or left
handed.

One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to
the left of it.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shirley ann wrote:

: One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to
: the left of it.

We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My
question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet
bowl is best location for most people?

I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to
the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even
somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works
best in everyone's opinion here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ajanta" wrote in message
We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My
question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet
bowl is best location for most people?

I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to
the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even
somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works
best in everyone's opinion here?

Wherever you like it. Mine is 30" high and about 8" in front of the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ajanta wrote:
Shirley ann wrote:

: One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to
: the left of it.

We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My
question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet
bowl is best location for most people?

I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to
the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even
somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works
best in everyone's opinion here?

There are no majic numbers.
The difference you observe between institutional and private mounting
heights probably results from accessibility standards applied to
institutional situations. Many residential situations don't have the
ubobstructed surface of a stall partition, and so are mounted helter
skelter.

Have you considered reaching for an imagined roll a couple of times and
using the resulting "landing zone" as your mounting arrangement?

TB

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional
settings have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the
front of the body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know
why, because then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously
be used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Take a seat on the toilet and think about it. If you are still without
an answer reach out with both hands and decide which one is close to a wall
that is most convenient. That's that spot. Who cares where they put it in
a commercial application.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

we put a surface mounted not recessed double roll paper holder to the
left and another like it to the right as follows: within reach of the
smallest family member, and at such a height so that that same seated
human's reaching wet arm drips down toward its fingertips.
also, all our grab bars double as towel bars and exceed minimum lengths
to provide plenty of towel hanging space.
but first see ada info and illustration at:
http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Ac...es/fig29b.html
"A 42 inch (1065 mm) minimum length grab bar is required to the side of
the water closet spaced 12 inches (305 mm) maximum from the back wall
and extending a minimum of 54 inches (1370 mm) from the back wall at a
height between 33 and 36 inches (840-915 mm). The toilet paper
dispenser shall be mounted at a minimum height of 19 inches (485 mm).
(4.16.3, 4.16.4, 4.16.6)"
and also:
"4.16.6 Dispensers. Toilet paper dispensers shall be installed within
reach, as shown in Fig. 29(b). Dispensers that control delivery, or
that do not permit continuous paper flow, shall not be used."
as quoted from:
http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Ac...DAAG_4-16.html

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

My grandpa always had a tub of yellow and white corn sitting next to
thr john and you shelled it to get the cob. First the yellow and then
white to check you wiped clean. That way the chickens aways had shelled
corn on hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ajanta" wrote in message
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

If you're conflicted, don't mount the TP dispenser on the wall. Little racks
are available that allow the, um, user to move the dispenser to any
location. This has the added benefit of easily taking the whole roll to an
area where TP is needed in an urgent situation (an extreme chick-flik movie
in the family room, a beloved pet's "accident" in the hallway, or to
celebrate the team's homecoming victory in the yard).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Yes. I think the group has been (t)rolled. Nice.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:00:25 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Shirley ann wrote:

: One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to
: the left of it.

We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My
question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet
bowl is best location for most people?

I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to
the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even
somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works
best in everyone's opinion here?

You don't want the best height for most people. You want
someplace a 2-year old can reach.

If you then have an adult who's too crippled to reach that,
then mount a second holder. It's not like having a second
roll available is going to be a bad thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I need to install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when
deciding where on the wall it should go.

it would obviously be used by many friends and family, young and old.

I don't think there is any "rule" for this, it's mostly a matter of
preference, ease of access, and available mounting locations.

Too far back and a larger person will have to twist around to access the
toilet paper.

Too low, too high, or too far forward, and small children may not be able
to reach the paper without leaning or stretching.

It also depends on how cramped the area around the toilet is. You don't
want to be bumping into the toilet paper roll as you're sitting down or
standing up. And, you don't want to be bumping it with your elbows while
you're reading a magazine or something.

Also consider the closer the roll is to the toilet, the more likely it will
absorb "splatter" and "splashing" from the males of the species...

In any case, the holder in our main bath is mounted to the side of the
lavatory cabinet, and is centered about 18" from the back wall, and 24"
from the floor. The holder in our master bath is mounted on a side wall,
36" from the back wall, and 32" from the floor. Both are quite accessable
and comfortable, so you can see there is a lot of flexibility in the
mounting location.

Sit down on the seat, and hold the roll where you think it is comfortable.
Then have one or two other family members do the same thing. Pick a spot
somewhere in the middle of those locations and screw it to the wall.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

My grandpa always had a tub of yellow and white corn sitting next to
thr john and you shelled it to get the cob. First the yellow and then
white to check you wiped clean. That way the chickens aways had shelled
corn on hand.

I hate to imagine what that would do to modern plumbing.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:17:19 -0500, "Craven Morehead"
wrote:

What is this "toilet paper" you speak of?

A modern substitute for dried leaves.

"Ajanta" wrote in message
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Bob F wrote:
"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ajanta wrote:
[...]

I hink they pitched them in the washer an Grandma washed them and then
they were reusable.Thats where recycleing got its start.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:38:48 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Thats easy........
Stand directly in front of your toilet. Place your ass against the
wall. Let out a nice size turd and let it smear on the wall. That's
where you put the holder (in the ****ty spot). This is the reason the
human body was designed the way it is. It's all about placement of
the toilet paper holder. I know this sounds silly, but this is what
God intended us to do when we install a TP holder, thus it's a
religious thing and needs to be taken very seriously. This was
documented in the original Hebrew version of the bible, but it was
removed when converted to English because the ultra conservative
republicans found it offensive. Either way, this is SERIOUS.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

What is this "toilet paper" you speak of?

A modern substitute for dried leaves.

I still prefer corn cobs........
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob F wrote:
"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ajanta wrote:
[...]

LOL! eeeuuuuuwwwwww.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Jack"
I hink they pitched them in the washer an Grandma washed them and then
they were reusable.Thats where recycleing got its start.

Today they go to the ethanol plants.

Some of THAT output is used in food and medicine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Mine is 22 3/8" from the floor to the center of the roll and 12 3/4"
from the edge of the toilet seat to the center of the roll. No one has
ever complained.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Thanks to everyone who responded. Now, as for the most common advice
offered here, I did know that I can install it wherever I want.

Basically, I was puzzled that this being a common question faced in
every bathroom, why isn't there one standard, in particular why
instituional and reseidential builders have come to such different
conclusions...The answer probably is government regulations...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Now, as for the most common advice
offered here, I did know that I can install it wherever I want.

Basically, I was puzzled that this being a common question faced in
every bathroom, why isn't there one standard, in particular why
instituional and reseidential builders have come to such different
conclusions...The answer probably is government regulations...

Keep in mind that these newsgroups are consumer/repair oriented and not
design oriented. You might get some better information if you were to
post the question on alt.architecture, for instance.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RPS RPS is offline

Bob F wrote:

: Give us a break.

Try growing up a little. Nobody owes you a "break" here. This is a
public forum. People post what they like, not what you might like. It
is your job to select what you read and what you don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"RPS" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

: Give us a break.

Try growing up a little. Nobody owes you a "break" here. This is a
public forum. People post what they like, not what you might like. It
is your job to select what you read and what you don't.

You sure take offense easily. The guy made a joke and I responded to it.
What's your problem?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RPS RPS is offline

Bob F wrote:

: : Give us a break.
:
: Try growing up a little. Nobody owes you a "break" here. This is a
: public forum. People post what they like, not what you might like. It
: is your job to select what you read and what you don't.
:
: You sure take offense easily. The guy made a joke and I responded to it.
: What's your problem?

Maybe spending too much time reading Usenet posts. By coincidence I had
read several posts where people asked others not to post this or that,
instead of themselves selecting what they want to read. My apologies if
all of you were joking; without smilies, I can't tell.

Toilet roll holder dilemma xxx UK diy 33 April 18th 06 11:13 AM
Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Plan Wanted - Spare toilet roll holder mgg Woodworking 12 November 9th 04 12:27 PM
toilet flange too high? Tish Home Repair 3 October 3rd 04 01:22 PM