Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Toilet roll holder: how high, how far?

we put a surface mounted not recessed double roll paper holder to the
left and another like it to the right as follows: within reach of the
smallest family member, and at such a height so that that same seated
human's reaching wet arm drips down toward its fingertips.
also, all our grab bars double as towel bars and exceed minimum lengths
to provide plenty of towel hanging space.
but first see ada info and illustration at:
http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Ac...es/fig29b.html
"A 42 inch (1065 mm) minimum length grab bar is required to the side of
the water closet spaced 12 inches (305 mm) maximum from the back wall
and extending a minimum of 54 inches (1370 mm) from the back wall at a
height between 33 and 36 inches (840-915 mm). The toilet paper
dispenser shall be mounted at a minimum height of 19 inches (485 mm).
(4.16.3, 4.16.4, 4.16.6)"
and also:
"4.16.6 Dispensers. Toilet paper dispensers shall be installed within
reach, as shown in Fig. 29(b). Dispensers that control delivery, or
that do not permit continuous paper flow, shall not be used."
as quoted from:
http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Ac...DAAG_4-16.html

Ajanta wrote:
You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to
install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on
the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings
have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the
body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because
then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than
others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be
used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?