Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stepping off a ladder onto the roof

I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other foot
onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting there,
swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it. It
doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off the
ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way with an
extension ladder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other foot
onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting there,
swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it. It
doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off the
ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way with an
extension ladder.

Use a ladder stabilizer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

What do you mean? It was a borrowed ladder, so that is strike one against
me right there, but more to the point. A more steady ladder would help
greatly obviously, but being afraid of heights I need to picture the motion
in my head and I couldn't do it.

It's one of those things where you're afraid to do it but once you do it and
see how to do it it's no longer a big deal. It was this way with me and
climbing into my attic. Again the act of stepping off the ladder and into
the attic was beyond me. It was only when I forced myself to do it once and
saw that it wasn't a big deal did it become a trivial task. By the way,
getting back down out of the attic was just as tough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other
foot onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting
there, swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it.
It doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off
the ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way
with an extension ladder.

Forget step ladders, as they send more folks to hospitals and wheelchairs
and early graves than do extension ladders.

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well above the
roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto the roof (your
hips should be well above the roof edge).

The ladder angle and the ladder footing are critical. A ladder near the
vertical is asking for a fall. A ladder with an uneven or unstable footing
is asking for an accident.

Ladders are dangerous. Are you sure you want to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont care for heights either. My other home had a spot where the roof
came together

Kinda of a L shape, I would go up there it still bothered me.

I can stand on a ladder and do stuff pretty good........

but climbing on roof is tough

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:53:47 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other foot
onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting there,
swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it. It
doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off the
ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way with an
extension ladder.

It's a lot easier to get on the roof than to get back on the ladder.
Me, I stay off of ladders. G
If it's higher than I am willing to fall, I hire somebody else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:30:01 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well above the
roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto the roof (your
hips should be well above the roof edge).

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof. Coming down I grab the ladder and then
step down.

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

wrote:

Ladders are dangerous. Are you sure you want to do this?

Not me!

"A man's got to know his limitations."
Harry Callahan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:42:27 -0800, Oren wrote:

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.

"feel" better, sorry...
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:42:27 -0800, Oren wrote:

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.

"feel" better, sorry...

Nice slip of the "tongue"

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:47:56 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:42:27 -0800, Oren wrote:

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.

"feel" better, sorry...

Nice slip of the "tongue"

Malfunction between the chair and the key board G
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.

Me too ... especially if it is someone I'd like to fall on ;)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other foot
onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting there,
swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it. It
doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off the
ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way with an
extension ladder.

Hi,
You wear a pair of shoes with good grip. And extend the ladder higher so
you have something to steady yourself. Or there is stabilizer, something
like wings to attach to either side at the top of ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I dont care for heights either. My other home had a spot where the roof
came together

Kinda of a L shape, I would go up there it still bothered me.

I can stand on a ladder and do stuff pretty good........

but climbing on roof is tough

You know I could do that, put the ladder in the corner of the roofline, that
way I could step off sideways.

The biggest problem I had, and I mentioned this to the first poster, I was
using a borrowed ladder, a ladder that was rated for 200 lbs and I am NOT
200 lbs, plus the thing is like cooked spaghetti in that it wobbles all
around. So maybe just using a better ladder would be to my benefit. I
gotta get those damn gutters cleaned or I won't ever fix that water
problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No I refuse to give in. Maybe when I'm lying on my back in the hospital
I'll give in but not before then. Like I say, I have to just visualize
myself doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I nailed a large nail into the roof and fastened a loop of 12gauge solid
copper wire between it and a rung of the ladder. Just left the nail in for
future use. Better safe than sorry.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

drive some stakes in the ground and tie ladders base, then climb ladder
and tie ladder at top, like using a C clamp on the gutter, tie ladder
to c clamp.

DONT leave rope etc to catch your feet trip on!

its nice to know your ladder wouldnt blow down, that happened to a
friend before he had a cell phone he was stuck on roof for hours

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well
above the roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto
the roof (your hips should be well above the roof edge).

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof. Coming down I grab the ladder and then
step down.

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

Was "someone" the beneficiary? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I dont care for heights either. My other home had a spot where the roof
came together

Kinda of a L shape, I would go up there it still bothered me.

I can stand on a ladder and do stuff pretty good........

but climbing on roof is tough

You know I could do that, put the ladder in the corner of the roofline,
that way I could step off sideways.

The biggest problem I had, and I mentioned this to the first poster, I was
using a borrowed ladder, a ladder that was rated for 200 lbs and I am NOT
200 lbs, plus the thing is like cooked spaghetti in that it wobbles all
around. So maybe just using a better ladder would be to my benefit. I
gotta get those damn gutters cleaned or I won't ever fix that water
problem...

Rueful Chuckle- I resemble that remark. I'm fat enough that class 1a is the
only thing I will buy or use more than 3 feet off the ground. Sams had a
good price on 24 foot, 50 bucks cheaper than the other place had 20 foot. 20
foot would be a lot easier to carry and spot, on this tall 1-story. Buy a
decent ladder, or hire a service to clean the gutters. Stuff that can kill
you, or take a long annoying time to heal up from, is NOT the place to cut
corners.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well
above the roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto
the roof (your hips should be well above the roof edge).

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

Coming down I grab the ladder and then
step down.

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

. wrote in message
news
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:19:15 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Use a ladder stabilizer.

What do you mean?

A simple triangle of 2-3 feet wide of 2x4s that rests on the roof with one
point through a rung 2-3 feet above the roof works great.

Ah, thank you. I was thinking of something to stabilize it at the ground
level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well
above the roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto
the roof (your hips should be well above the roof edge).

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking at the time I tried it. I felt like a
little scaredy cat standing on that ladder wondering how painful it would be
to jump down to the ground if the ladder fell while stepping on to the roof.

Coming down I grab the ladder and then
step down.

I really fell better when someone is holding the bottom.
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:

Forget step ladders, as they send more folks to hospitals and wheelchairs
and early graves than do extension ladders.

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well above the
roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto the roof (your
hips should be well above the roof edge).

The ladder angle and the ladder footing are critical. A ladder near the
vertical is asking for a fall. A ladder with an uneven or unstable footing
is asking for an accident.

A good rule of thumb:
With the ladder leaning on the house, stand on the ground with your toes against
a ladder foot. Hold an arm out straight in front of you, parallel to the
ground. If you fingers just touch the ladder, it is leaning at the proper
angle. Otherwise, adjust the ladder angle and repeat.

Also be sure all four corners (two feet on the ground and two sides at the top)
are firmly touching their surface without any rocking.

Finally, before climbing the ladder, test how sturdy it is. Be sure it doesn't
rock or slide and the extension latches are properly set. Bounce a little on
the first rung or two to confirm it stays put before climbing further.

Another safety note: Never lift the ladder up from the top (e.g. while you're
on the roof)! People have killed themselves because they lift the ladder to move
it or whatever, and release the extension latches. Then when they climb on to
the ladder to start down, the ladder collapses.

Never take a ladder or its positioning for granted, whether you only use one
once a year to clean your gutters, or you are a professional roofer. And look
up for wires!

(Don't forget to tie your shoes and don't play with matches!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

Confidence on the ladder comes with time and experience. If you are
inexperienced then you may never feel comfortable. Just be sure the
ladder is safe by keeping its' pitch shallow and the bottom secure, as
others have said. Then there will be no risk of kicking the ladder
down. Have a long enough ladder to extend several feet above the
roofline so you have somthing to grab. These things will increase your
confidence. After that you just put one foot in from of the other,
always moving forward. You always want to lean forward, never back.
Keep your eyes on the roofline and your where your next step will fall.

When I was on the roofing crew we often had to carry bundles of
shingles and other material up the ladder. When you have a 70lb bundle
on your shoulder your concentration is increased dramatically and you
instinctively understand that you must move forward. Usually I can
just step off onto the roof and carry the bundle to the ridge. On
steeper roofs you can unload the bundle onto the roof or to a waiting
helper. then it can be carried to the peak to be stacked. On steeper
pitched roofs we would nail a board to the roof next to the ladder to
give a more secure foothold or place to put the bundle. This only
works if you are tearing off the roof anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

Consider where you put the ladder. Falling doesn't hurt. It's when you
STOP falling. Would you rather stop on concrete or stop on grass?

First time I tried it the act of pushing off the ladder to put my other foot
onto the roof would have kicked the ladder down. So I'm sitting there,
swaying in the wind trying to picture the motion needed to do it. It
doesn't help that I'm mildly afraid of heights, and more realistically
afraid of falling down and hitting the pavement.

Sometimes I wonder how much it would hurt to jump off a roof onto
grass (like when you get on the roof and something happens to the
ladder).

I was thinking that it would be easier to use a step ladder rather than an
extension ladder, at least with a step ladder you can step sideways off the
ladder and turn and sit down on the roof. It doesn't work that way with an
extension ladder.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 17:58:13 -0600, Al Bundy
wrote:

Was "someone" the beneficiary? :-)

I'm worth more dead than alive (BG)

......(you read my correction)..

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:04:50 -0600, Al Bundy
wrote:

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

Part time Vegas show girls.. they steady the ladder...
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well
above the roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto
the roof (your hips should be well above the roof edge).

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

Don't step on the ladder above the roof. Step on the first step down.
Having the ladder several feet above the roof means your hands can
hold it and stabilize it as you step.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
Oren wrote in

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

That's the point of the ladder stabilizer. It moves the uppermost
contact point inwards. It also keeps the ladder off of the gutter, is
useful for other ladder applications, weighs very little, and keeps
people from putting nails in their roofs.

http://www.snapmediaworks.com/250402...eLib/hmpg1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Al Bundy wrote:
Oren wrote in

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

That's the point of the ladder stabilizer. It moves the uppermost
contact point inwards. It also keeps the ladder off of the gutter, is
useful for other ladder applications, weighs very little, and keeps
people from putting nails in their roofs.

http://www.snapmediaworks.com/250402...eLib/hmpg1.jpg

Thank you very much for the clarification, I initially misinterpreted what
you said about "ladder stabilizer" Now that I've seen it I totally
understand how that would help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Nov 2006 18:27:06 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Al Bundy wrote:
Oren wrote in

With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

That's the point of the ladder stabilizer. It moves the uppermost
contact point inwards. It also keeps the ladder off of the gutter, is
useful for other ladder applications, weighs very little, and keeps
people from putting nails in their roofs.

http://www.snapmediaworks.com/250402...eLib/hmpg1.jpg

My newest ladder has flared legs/feet on both ends; not like the
picture, but the same idea.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On 5 Nov:27:06 -0800, "RicodJour"

That's the point of the ladder stabilizer. It moves the uppermost
contact point inwards. It also keeps the ladder off of the gutter, is
useful for other ladder applications, weighs very little, and keeps
people from putting nails in their roofs.

http://www.snapmediaworks.com/250402...eLib/hmpg1.jpg

My newest ladder has flared legs/feet on both ends; not like the
picture, but the same idea.

Not really. The wider stance is more stable on the ground, and more
stable leaning against a wall, but it doesn't make it any more stable
when you're climbing onto a roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes I wonder how much it would hurt to jump off a roof onto
grass (like when you get on the roof and something happens to the
ladder).

I know a unfortunate fellow that fell off a 3rd story roof He fell
and hit concrete, with no one around he dragged himself inside and
called 911. He broke his back and was bleeding pretty bad, left blood
trail on ground.

He survived after missing near a year of work and lots of surgery and
painful rehab.

supringisly he still weorks on his home, painted it again this summer.

he lost soi much income being a project manager for building the
pittsburgh airport his home will never recoop the money let alone the
pain......

If I were him I would make the outside no maintence he sands and strips
it constantly.

complete waste of effort if you ask me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I know the basic safety of ladder use. It's easy to get to the roof, but
here is where my fear of heights and mechanics get in the way.

How to step off the ladder onto the roof and then how to get back onto the
ladder without knocking it off the eaves?

Beats the hell out of me. I tried to go up on my roof to fix a piece of
trim that had come loose, but I couldn't do it. I simply couldn't get my
foot to go up on the roof. I had to ask a friend to do it. When he did he
disturbed some bees that were nesting under the molding; so there he is
running across the roof flailing his arms around, and I can't even get up
there. I felt so so, well I'm sure you know how I felt.

Mind you, I have climbed 1,000' cliffs in Yosemite, and been sky diving and
hang gliding; but I can't go up on my roof.

Good luck; if you figure something out, let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Jim Taylor wrote:

Another safety note: Never lift the ladder up from the top (e.g. while you're
on the roof)! People have killed themselves because they lift the ladder to move
it or whatever, and release the extension latches. Then when they climb on to
the ladder to start down, the ladder collapses.

Actually you do sometimes need to do this- but of course use a rope or
something to connect the two sections. I have to do this to get from
1st floor to 2nd floor roof(ie haul ladder up), then lower ladder down
again when going down.

Never take a ladder or its positioning for granted, whether you only use one
once a year to clean your gutters, or you are a professional roofer. And look
up for wires!

Well said. I try to remind myself that my first concern is to stay
alive, job is only #2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

With an extension ladder, the top of the extension should be well
above the roof edge, so that you can comfortably swing your foot onto
the roof (your hips should be well above the roof edge).
With the ladder being well above the roof line; it gives me a sense of
security. I feel like I at least have something to hold on to for
that first step onto the roof.

Agree, but also can't help thinking that whatever weight I am putting on
it is towards the roof and above the fulcrum of the ladder on the roof
edge. The result is more kickout force at the foot :-)

Don't step on the ladder above the roof. Step on the first step down.
Having the ladder several feet above the roof means your hands can
hold it and stabilize it as you step.

Or it can mean you push against it and kick the
bottom out and you fall to the ground as you step
down.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

[...]

Goddamn, and I was expecting this to be one of those "You moron" threads. I
actually mountain climb too, it took me a few trips to get used to
navigating ledges, and free climbs are simply impossible, but like we all
seem to be saying - taking that last step onto the roof seems to be
impossible.

Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company W A R N I N G [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 13th 06 06:36 PM
roofing footwear Choreboy Home Repair 14 September 17th 05 07:10 PM
tar-and-gravel roof - puddles etc. advice needed Steve Portigal Home Repair 6 November 23rd 04 09:40 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM