Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When will someone reinvent the trouble light?

When will someone reinvent the trouble light?
Or should I say create a troubleFREE light.....

All my life I have battled these damn things. They are all poorly
made. They are always facing the wrong way, either blinding the user
or pointing away from the work. They are nearly impossible to keep
pointing the right way, their hooks are poor and they eat lightbulbs
like crazy. OK, I know someone will tell me to get those heavy-use
bulbs, but I have tried them, and while they are more durable, they
still break when the f**king trouble light falls, (and they always
do). Plus, those heavy-use bulbs are nearly $3 each, and for that
price I can buy a dozen regular bulbs, and just keep replacing them
every few work hours because there is no way to keep them from eating
bulbs. Trouble lights are aptly named because they are nothing but
trouble.

This is the 21st century. Isn't it time someone comes up with a
better light? One that stays put, stays the direction the user turns
it, has a hook that locks in place, has some shock proof cushion for
the bulb, and more. I am not complaining about the quality of the
lights, because I have gotten the cheap ones that fail soon, and the
costly ones that are durable. It's the DESIGN that flops every time.
They are just not made to be user friendly and they are a pain in the
butt no matter how much they cost.

Someone, somewhere, someday, a newly designed trouble(free) light
needs to be created. We can send men to the moon and have all this
technology, yet no one can make a portable light that does not fight
the user and eat bulbs. Maybe it's time.....

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I like the version I have. LED brights, a hook on each end. Half the
size, diameter and weight of a traditional light. Best of all, it is
rechargeable and lasts 8-12 hours on a single charge. No cord to battle
with. You should get one!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love the trouble light I got used at Boeing Surplus a few years ago.

It is a bit bulky, since it has a 2-foot-long fluorescent head. But
it's indestructible -- I've driven over it without damaging it. And it
does have a locking hook. A nice long power cord, too. Oh, and it's
waterproof and gas-tight for hazardous locations. I've actually lowered
it a couple of feet into the bay without trouble.

Sorry, but one thing it doesn't have any more is a brand name.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:08:54 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Where have ya been?

They invented some nice trouble free flourescent trouble lights about
20 or 30 years ago...

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
[...]

I've been using those, they only have a lifespan of about a year or so,
and they eat bulbs too. If the housings were made more durable they
could be an excellent product however.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

My 18Volt drill came in a kit with a light and I love it. The
battery will last forever (hours) and the battery acts as an anchor so
it doesn't move from where you point it. Fantastic.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I like the version I have. LED brights, a hook on each end. Half the
size, diameter and weight of a traditional light. Best of all, it is
rechargeable and lasts 8-12 hours on a single charge. No cord to battle
with. You should get one!!

have a link?

http://www.atdtools.com/showitem.php?item_id=80103

Cool

Is it well made?

lasts a long time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I like the version I have. LED brights, a hook on each end. Half the
size, diameter and weight of a traditional light. Best of all, it is
rechargeable and lasts 8-12 hours on a single charge. No cord to battle
with. You should get one!!

have a link?

http://www.atdtools.com/showitem.php?item_id=80103

Cool

Is it well made?

lasts a long time?

Seems well made. I've only had it a little while so we'll see how long
it lasts. No complaints so far!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike M. wrote:

On 23 Oct 2006 12:21:15 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

have a link?

http://www.atdtools.com/showitem.php?item_id=80103

I need one of those! I didn't see any prices, but Amazon seems to
have a good variety of those rechargeable LED work lights.

Mike

That particular version cost me about $56. My employer outlawed trouble
lights that have an outlet in the end as unsafe. You know, the kind
that can be used as extension cords? So, in looking for an alternative,
we tried this rechargeable version.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote in
news

[...]

I saw an auto trouble light on Two Guys Garage on Speed Channel,it had a
magnet on the base to hold to the body,and a flex neck so you could aim it
where desired,battery-powered(rechargable,IIRC).

I bought a $10 12" battery-powered fluorescent that uses 8 AA cells
(12V),and has a socket for an external 12V DC power source,so I made up a
12ft.cable with alligator clips so I can connect it to the car battery.
Very useful.

I've also seen 30-LED auto trouble lights at Harbor Freight,both
rechargable and battery-powered,and they also have a 6 LED battery-powered
light made for wall-mounting to illuminate pic frames or
bookshelves,whatever you wish to attach it to.That might make a nice
trouble light.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Oct 2006 00:25:06 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

DK wrote in
news

[...]

Thanks for everyones replies, but I DO NOT want battery powered. I
want plug in, 120VAC. The last thing I need is to have to change and
charge batteries and have the batteries die when i am working. Thats
as bad as the bulb burning out and would happen more often. On top of
that, I know how they rob people with the cost of those rechargable
batteries. No Thanks !!!!!

Now if they made and sold a LED light that is bright enough as a 100W
bulb and uses 120VAC, I might be happy. As for the florescent trouble
lights, I had one, it did not last very long.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for everyones replies, but I DO NOT want battery powered. I
want plug in, 120VAC. The last thing I need is to have to change and
charge batteries and have the batteries die when i am working. Thats
as bad as the bulb burning out and would happen more often. On top of
that, I know how they rob people with the cost of those rechargable
batteries. No Thanks !!!!!

Just buy a sheet-metal trouble light of the normal type,
and drill a couple holes in the back so you can screw
a clamp to it. While you're at it, bend the wire
hook into a closed loop, and slap a carbiner on it.