Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spray Paint on Driveway.........

I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bret Miller wrote in message ...
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

What does that mean? "Unfortunately, it is not against my race." Would
the city pay for it or something, if it was? Just curious.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bret Miller" wrote in message
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

sandblasting might be as extreme as muriatic acid in effect/looks (markedly
different from other concrete in area); one form of art even exists whereby
templates made from old rubber inner tubes are used in sandblasting designs
into concrete...

some rental places rent concrete grinders that have stones you attach to the
bottom of the machine, the stones rotate and remove surface concrete...you
don't want the machine but want to buy one of the stones from the rental
place...use it, the friction from rubbing the effected spot in circular
potions with the stone should remove the paint, if that doesn't, follow up
with 3600 psi pressure washer...then retry stone etc.

to match sanded area to old concrete, maybe try using mixture of street
dirt, tiny portion oil, tiny portion of roofing tar, maybe some rust if
other concrete nearby has rust stains,,,thinned with something safe then
applied when it won't be raining for 4 or 5 days in a row,,,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bret Miller wrote:

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Citristrip is pretty effective against spray paint. Let it sit for 15
minutes or so and then scrub with a wire brush and wash off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:

Bret Miller wrote in message ...
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

What does that mean? "Unfortunately, it is not against my race." Would
the city pay for it or something, if it was? Just curious.

If it *was* against his own race, it would be obvious to the neighbors that he
was not responsible for putting it there. Hopefully, they realize that anyway,
but some people aren't too quick to catch on.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bret Miller wrote:
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

[snip]

Anyone have any suggestions?

Google on "graffiti removal" -- you can't be the first person to have this
problem.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bret Miller" wrote in message
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, call someone at the City of Chicago graffiti removal crew, probably
part of public works. There are fairly harmless ways of removing it. Even
though you're not in Chicago they won't mind pointing you in the right
direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Doug Miller) writes:
In article , "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
If it *was* against his own race, it would be obvious to the neighbors that he
was not responsible for putting it there. Hopefully, they realize that anyway,
but some people aren't too quick to catch on.

My impression of the original statement was that if it was against
them, they might be able to get more "action" against possible perps
since it would be considered a hate crime against them.

My advice, get
http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm to give you a
visit.

Beware advice of acid etching, since the paint might act as a resist
and make the letters stand out more.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:10:11 -0500, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

hit it with acetone or lacquer thinner, or grind it off with a wire wheel on
a drill.

The op hasn't said what his driveway is made of. (Why not, I
wonder?)

But wire wheels don't work well on many non-metals. They don't just
remove what is to be removed. They crush the surface of brick and
other things and I'm not sure it ever gets back to normal.

"Bret Miller" wrote in message
.. .
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=&categoryId=
http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=&categoryId=
http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=&categoryId=

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bret Miller wrote:
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would suggest checking your home insurance. Likely it is covered. In
any case, I suspect the best solution is sand blasting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:09:58 -0400, Bret Miller
wrote:

I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

I've pressure washed the paint and that took of a great deal, but it
is still plainly visible. All I can think of now is to paint over it
with some concrete paint, but I don't really want to paint my entire
drive way.

The area is in a 3' x 3' square. I'm thinking of trying to sand it
with a cinder block, trying to cover it with cement powder or maybe
sandblasting. Off the wall ideas I guess but worth a try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd just spray paint your own message next to it, and make a rude
comment against the race you suspect was responsible for the grafitti.
That will make everything well. If you suspect a gang did it, be sure
ot make a negative comment against that gang. They will probably come
and burn your house down after you do it, and once the house is gone
you can collect the insurance money and move to a better neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I would suggest checking your home insurance. Likely it is covered.

Unless your home owners deductable is extremely low,
I doubt it's worth it to contact your insurer.

I'm pasting an article on the subject below.
[DO NOT ADD CONCRETE POWDER, BTW]

I don't know that I agree with the article about the black asphalt but
then I don't have to worry about snow, etc, so maybe it;s a good idea.
Article is below
Do an online searech and compare the info you get with how logical it
sounds.Most articles I scanned say pressure washing should do it, but
you might have to repeat it a few times.
(use a rental pressure washer for $50-60 a day- more powerful
generally )

Uncoated asphalt tends to become very porous over time allowing easier
staining.
Spray paint has a solvent base that tends to bind tenaciously to
asphalt that's why the
lines on the roads stay put so long!

Any paint solvent or remover will likewise soften the asphalt.

Your best recourse is to just coat the driveway
(or just the offending area) with a black asphalt
sealer available at any hardware or home store.
This coal-tar based product will easily mask the paint stain with a
more attractive black finish. I would highly recommend sealing the
entire driveway. The resulting smooth, nonporous surface makes snow
removal easier
and lengthens the life of the driveway as well.

And future painting "accident" cleanups and if necessary touchups will
be easier!

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Bret Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

webmz wrote:
Unless your home owners deductable is extremely low,
I doubt it's worth it to contact your insurer.

Is I recall, there is no deductible for that kind of issue on mine.

In any case, checking it out is free.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sand blast.

--
Steve Barker

"Bret Miller" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grafitti remover. Spray on wait half hour wash off. Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spray Paint on Driveway.........attn: Cheri

If you are white and you have a racial slur on your drive, some fair
percent of the population assume YOU are making a statement. If you
are black and there is a black racial slur, you are a victim.
Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but people don't stop to think that
if you are a bigot, you most likely wouldn't put a big sign in your
yard saying that you are. Hope that helps.
I did get a visit from the code enforcement telling me that it was an
inappropriate sign. When I asked the guy if he really thought that I
put the message on my drive, he said probably not, but someone did and
called him. You have got to love stupid neighbors and the government
that makes it all possible.
BM

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:25:31 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

Bret Miller wrote in message ...
I live in Suburbia. Someone spray painted racial slurs on my drive
way. Unfortunately, it is not against my race. While this has been a
good way to meet the people in my neighborhood, it has not been
friendly meetings.

What does that mean? "Unfortunately, it is not against my race." Would
the city pay for it or something, if it was? Just curious.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:29:09 GMT, "nowforsale"
wrote:

[...]

My pressure washer was a 2700 psi. I don't know if a 3600 would do
much better, but maybe if it had hot water it might. OR after an
application of Citrapeel someone recommended.
I had thought to use a cinder block piece to "sand" the area.
I would really like it gone by Halloween.
bm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

hit it with acetone or lacquer thinner, or grind it off with a wire wheel on
a drill.

The op hasn't said what his driveway is made of. (Why not, I
wonder?)

Sorry I forgot. It is hard packed red clay. I'd really like to get
the pant up before the grass gets too high for me to find it and work
with it.
Yes, I am being a smart ass. There is no "BIG SECRET" on why I didn't
post what the driveway was composed of, it just slipped by me. Around
here 99% of the driveways are concrete.....as is mine.
Thanks
BM