Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default help my sanity-- spray paint troubles

I just kit what ever I intend to paint with KRYLON paint, and the hell
with primers and all the fuss of prep etc, and the paint sticks just
fine and is there years down the road..........pitch the rustoleum,
just clean off the old paint, use krylon spray on primer and top coat
with krylon paint. Flat black is afterall flat black....Krylon is not
fussy, and odds are skipping the primer won;t hurt much of anything
either. Primer in no way makes a surface finish harder.

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:41:20 -0500, Mike wrote:
I have 2 flat metal parts made out of steel. I want to paint them flat
black. I was recommended Rust-o-Leum 7777 as a perfect match for the
paint color and finish.

I first stripped the old paint with a spray-on stripper and than spray
painted. Looked great, but I wasn't pleased with how hard the finish was.
It scratched with my finger-nail.

I re-read the directions and realized I did *not* use primer. Of course I
was ****ed off, but I decided to redo everything.

I stripped the paint again using the same, nasty spray-on stuff. I then
rinsed with water, and used a wire-brush attached to my electric drill to
get most of the old stuff off. I then wiped it down with a wet rag and
let dry.

This time I used Rust-o-leum primer first, then applied the same spray
paint. But it seems the finish is even softer than before.

What am I doing wrong? I'm about to give up on this seemingly simple
project. The cast-iron parts that I painted are just fine.

--Mike

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....