Posted to rec.woodworking
chris jung

Default removing spray paint from furniture

Hi,
A few years ago, we picked up a table & four chairs from a yard sale. The
table & chairs are Danish made and I'm guessing from the 1950s. The
previous owner had spray painted it hunter-green and I don't believe she had
sanded it before spray painting it, as I can easily scrap up the green paint
with my finger nail and the original finish looks smooth and intact. I've
scraped a couple of square inches off (an idle habit of mine when I'm
talking on the phone) and the original finish is actually quite attractive.
I'm pretty OK with ID-ing common woods but I haven't figured out this wood
yet - it's close grained, not much figure but with lighter spots - somewhat
like birds eye maple. The wood is red. I don't think it's natural but I
could be wrong. Since the green paint doesn't seem to be strongly bonded to
the original surface, I'm wondering if there is a fairly easy way to peel
it off without damaging the original finish too much.

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Arvid

It may be that the paint is loose enough that you can blow most of it off
with a high pressure air hose. If that won't work maybe a trip to a truck
wash where they have high pressure washing wands.