Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are condo prices so inexpensive in the best areas of the city of Chicago?

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in news:1160708662.628854.320370
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

What is your home repair question or contribution posting?
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

I'm not sure which state would want you, if you couldn't spell that
state's name correctly. Realty is an illusion. Tom
Al Bundy wrote:
"Chris Tsao" wrote in news:1160708662.628854.320370
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

What is your home repair question or contribution posting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"Chris Tsao" wrote in news:1160708662.628854.320370
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

What is your home repair question or contribution posting?

I have a wall unit that I stained the side of with fishtank water, so I
am thinking of hiering (sp.) a cabinetmaker to take the side of it off
and put a new one on, so can you please tell me if he'd be able to do
this without denting or scratching it and if he and the front part is
rounded, so would he be able to make it round to match the other ones.
He'd have to come to my house to look at at, but if I stare (sp.?) at
it hard, would I be able to tell that it's not the original. To get the
side off, I figure he'd have to bang it with a rubber hammer because
they must be stuck on with mollies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tom wrote:
I'm not sure which state would want you, if you couldn't spell that
state's name correctly. Realty is an illusion. Tom

I'll simply write "sp." on the return address side of envelopes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

it and if he and the front part is

Sorry, I was too lazy to exert the mental concentration to finish this
sentence, so I deluded myself that I did. I meant to axe if he'd be
able to match the varnish perfectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

What is also distressing is that in Cancun Mexico and other parts of
Mexico, the condos seem to be about a $190 to $500-somthing grand for
one-bedrooms. I can afford up to $200ish grand now, but I don't want to
move there now. I figure that if they cost so much to buy that the
maintenaince or taxes would ALSO be more than I am counting on. WHen my
aunt dies and therefore cannot continue to finance my retirement, I
figured that I could move to Mexico with the money I inherit from her,
but the condos seem to be about as costly as the condos in Florida. How
much would the maintainance (sp.?) or yearly taxes cost on a nice one-
or tw0-bedroom condo in a nice area in Mexico. My idea is to move to
Mexico so I don't have to work. This is my only out for the workforce.
I hate Mexico, but not nearly as bad as I hate jobs and commuting and
going to sleep early and waking up early. My aunt just turned 77, so I
talkiing somewhere down the road.

Is it possible to retire in Mexico if your networth is about $700
grand. If the terror attacks never happened and thus the stockmarket
didn't crash, I'd inherit enough to retire in Mexico.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
ups.com...
According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

And your question regarding home repair is ........ ?????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

And your question regarding home repair is ........ ?????????

I'll post it tomorrow. I can get the super of the building I live in
fix my ceiling fan, but if it makes you happy, I'll try to fix it with
help from alt.home.repair. I have been coming in alt.home.repair for
help with real estate since April 28, 2003. I get answers to all my
questions. I asked a question about the above0mentioned wall unit's
water damage in here back in 1999 and was told the stains are
permanent, so about two hours ago, I posted a new question about it in
this thread, so now I should not be accused of posting off-toppic
anymore!!!

I think I shall keep on asking my question about Chicago's real estate
prices? I asked about real estate prices on multi-family houses on
Aprill 11, 20004, got no answer, so I tried again on Sept. 5 of this
year and found out what I need to know (proof below), and it's always
been my experience that persistence pays off.

Sept 5, 2006

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...c2f251ab40737b
1/98ad94719005c3da?rnum=1&q=tsao&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fal t.home.repair%2Fbrows
e_frm%2Fthread%2Ffc2f251ab40737b1%2Ffba91bd024009e c8%3Flnk%3Dgst%26q%3
Dtsao%26rnum%3D2%26#doc_fba91bd024009ec8

April 11, 2004

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...58beabf89eb331
7b/e6144a00a515d03b?rnum=1&q=tsao+catskills&_done=%2F group%2Falt.home.repair
%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F58beabf89eb3317b%2Fe6144a 00a515d03b%3Flnk%3Dg
st%26q%3Dtsao+catskills%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_e6144a00 a515d03b

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

TAKE YER MEDS!

I took one pill about an hour ago. I'm supposed to take two, but I
forgot yesterday and I don't want to detox. I was prescribed zoloft for
O.C.D., but it doesn't work for that, but it melows me out, so I never
stopped taking it. I have been diagnosed for O/C.D. by three
pyschopharmacologists, but none have been able to find the right meds
because I have to strong a case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Chris Tsao wrote:

According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

What is also distressing is that in Cancun Mexico and other parts of
Mexico, the condos seem to be about a $190 to $500-somthing grand for
one-bedrooms.

Correction!!!!!!!! I've checked more real estate agents' site and are
seeing your average price for a condo at $300-something thousand to the
millions!!!! One knows life sucks bowling balls through a bendy straw
when a person cannot live well in some fourthworld country for people
of color!!!!

I found one condo which is not a highrise like I covet, but I cannot
make heads or tales of this sentence below:

Monthly condo maintenance fees are about $7000. Pesos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

Monthly condo maintenance fees are about $7000. Pesos.

Actually it is a highrise. I am in a few sites at the same time because
I have discovered that I can sign online a bunch of times with DSL.

Check this out the apartment is 300something thousand dollars. How in
the world can Mexico be as expensive as the United States??????? This
is very perplexing.

http://www.viviun.com/AD-52784/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check this out the apartment is 300something thousand dollars. How in
the world can Mexico be as expensive as the United States??????? This
is very perplexing.

http://www.viviun.com/AD-52784/

Okay okay I know, it's four bedrooms. I just came accross it again.
This therefore is a bad example. This is increadibly cheap even for
Mexico. This is a price that will get you ONLY one or two bedrooms for
a comparable building. What I want to know is WHY THE F*CK are Freaking
Mexico real estate prices on par with Florida and practically every
other area in America???? Mexico is supposed to be a poor country. I
thought that's why they're all sneaking into America.

I am in Panama now and check this ****e out!!!! I want to know why
these two-bit countries cost so much to live in.
http://www.viviun.com/Real_Estate/Panama/Condos/

My apartment is worth $200something grand and yet I cannot get
something better for this money in some picolo (sp.?) country. This
****es me off.

Maybe I'll post back after investing a ... say .... Guatimalla (sp.)
realator's web site in a few minutes. If so, I will be raging (I'm
guessing).

Posted to alt.home.repair

plonk

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

plonk

So now you'll never possess the knowledge that you can retire if you
move to the Phillipines (sp.). This is the cheapest country one can
live in that will suffice. We can get a super luxury high rise for the
price of a car or two.

For some strange reason, Venezuala (sp.??) apartments cost and an arm
and a leg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so
bad? If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I
haven't found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not
on some outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

From a Realtor's exam:

46. Which does not belong on the following list:
A. Herpes
B. AIDS
C. Syphilis
D. A condominium

Correct answer is "C."

You can get rid of Syphilis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
ups.com...
According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

That's not cheap, that's a lot of money IMO. Seven years ago, for not quite
50% more, I bough a decent house on 1/4 acre in a very hoity-toity Chicago
suburb.

Plus I know that area, its not the heart of Chicago. The "heart" of town
starts about 5 miles south of there. That area is still "Grandmasville",
those buildings are loaded with retirees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's not cheap, that's a lot of money IMO. Seven years ago, for not quite
50% more, I bough a decent house on 1/4 acre in a very hoity-toity Chicago
suburb.

Plus I know that area, its not the heart of Chicago. The "heart" of town
starts about 5 miles south of there. That area is still "Grandmasville",
those buildings are loaded with retirees.

Thank you. I will find out where the heart of Chicago is and make that
the number one candidate. Retirees don't sound like something I'd like
to be around all the time. For some strange reason, Chicago seems to be
the cheapest of all major cities to buy apartments in. Yet IMO, it's
one of the most desirable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. I will find out where the heart of Chicago is and make that
the number one candidate. Retirees don't sound like something I'd like
to be around all the time. For some strange reason, Chicago seems to be
the cheapest of all major cities to buy apartments in. Yet IMO, it's
one of the most desirable.

Since you're not tied into any city and are looking to save $$$, look at
Milwaukee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mrsgator88 wrote:
Thank you. I will find out where the heart of Chicago is and make that
the number one candidate. Retirees don't sound like something I'd like
to be around all the time. For some strange reason, Chicago seems to be
the cheapest of all major cities to buy apartments in. Yet IMO, it's
one of the most desirable.

Since you're not tied into any city and are looking to save $$$, look at
Milwaukee.

I will, thank you. I never thought of that and I thought that I thought
of every place. I even looked at maps to decide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Steve B wrote:

plonk

So now you'll never possess the knowledge that you can retire if you
move to the Phillipines (sp.). This is the cheapest country one can
live in that will suffice. We can get a super luxury high rise for the
price of a car or two.

For some strange reason, Venezuala (sp.??) apartments cost and an arm
and a leg.

French Guyanna (sp) is one of the most depressing places to live in,
but probably one of the cheapest. About a day or two after I posted the
original post in this thread a woman of East Indian decent who lives in
French Guyanna told me that one U.S. dollar equals 200 French Guyanna
dollars. She told me she'd take me there, so I checked it out in Google
Images and it looked run down. That's where Devil's Island is. Maybe
there's some other South American, or African country that's not a
dictatorship that's cheaper, but so what.

She told me that the reason why apartments in India are so expensive is
because the dollar doesn't go far there. She said that I have to move
to a country where the dollar goes far.

It's only 50% cheaper to live in Mexico and 80% cheaper to live in
Ecuador (sp). Is there any chance that there will be a coup in Ecaudor.
Beunos (sp) Aries (sp) seems to be the prettiest city in South America.
It reminds me of Europe. I wonder how much cheaper it is to live there.
Also, Lima Peru is nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Beunos (sp) Aries (sp) seems to be the prettiest city in
South America. It reminds me of Europe. I wonder how much cheaper
it is to live there.

Currently, lots.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two Reasons:
1. Condos suck- who wants to buy an apartment
2. It's Chicago- awful weather and much crime. I dont know why anyone
lives there

Chris Tsao wrote:
According to my research (online), Chicago Illonois has the cheapest
condo prices for any major city? Is this because the weather is so bad?
If there is any major city that matches Chicago in cheapness, I haven't
found it. We're talking the "heart of Chicago" here, and not on some
outskirt.

http://www.jeanwright.com/bb.chicago164/chicago164.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Two Reasons:
1. Condos suck- who wants to buy an apartment
2. It's Chicago- awful weather and much crime. I dont know why anyone
lives there

But I like condos as much as houses.

Crime is fine, but bad weather is depressing and intimidating. My aunt
turned 77 last month and I won't move until she passes. I have a while
to decide what kind of home to live in and where. How long is your
average female lifespan? Then, the second time I move it will be for
good. I am hoping that there are retirement communities in Mexico where
you can (1) have a whole apartment and NOT just one room and (2) one
where they have nurses and other kinds of staff. In all of the
retirement homes I've seen on TV, the retirees only had one room.

Julia Child moved to some kind of retirement community. I think it's a
place with apartments, but do they have medical staff and the like
there? All the retirement homes I've seen on TV are giant hotel-like
mansions where the occupants (sp.?) only get one scant room.

Plus, in Chicago, I can use subways and not have to learn how to drive
and buy a car and pay the increased gas prices I've been hearing about.

P.S. Mexico house are only--on average--half as cheap as in America.
It's 80% cheaper to live in Ecaudor than in America. I'm not so sure
how much cheaper houses are though. Maybe later, I'll post links to
homes in India for sale, in case anyone's interested. They are rather
costly. The condos in the Philipines (sp) are so cheap, that I wonder
how they were ever able to purchase the building materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Two Reasons:
1. Condos suck- who wants to buy an apartment

Agreed. On a thirty year mortgage most of what your paying is interest
anyways, annual appreciation is nil to negative, you have to pay hundreds
each month in assessments, and still you have to pay to fix anything that
breaks. When you rent, there's no assesssment, and a landlord who's
responsible for repairs. There's good and bad landlords, and good and bad
condos just the same.

2. It's Chicago- awful weather and much crime. I dont know why anyone
lives there

Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Summers are great, winters
are cold but not nearly the snow that everyone imagines. Virtually NO
natural disasters. Occasional flood or tornado in the farther suburbs.
Crime comparable to other urban areas.

good. I am hoping that there are retirement communities in Mexico where
you can (1) have a whole apartment and NOT just one room and (2) one
where they have nurses and other kinds of staff. In all of the
retirement homes I've seen on TV, the retirees only had one room.

Retirement homes here give you a choice.

Plus, in Chicago, I can use subways and not have to learn how to drive
and buy a car and pay the increased gas prices I've been hearing about.

The train system in Chicago is not as strong as NY or European cities.
Nothing cross town, it all goes to/from downtown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mrsgator88 wrote:
"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Whew.

I'm going to be 42 in four months, so I figure I'll move to Chicago in
about fifteen years and retire in South America, but just in case, it's
comforting to know that I can have a full apartment.

Plus, in Chicago, I can use subways and not have to learn how to drive
and buy a car and pay the increased gas prices I've been hearing about.

The train system in Chicago is not as strong as NY or European cities.
Nothing cross town, it all goes to/from downtown.

Oh well. Buses hopefully go mostly everywhere in Chicago. I lived in
Manhattan for a decade and Queens for 22 years, so Chicago would make
me the least homesick because the buildings looks alike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
[...]

http://www.viviun.com/AD-63605/

This 4 bedroom high rise condo in Ecuador would be depressing to live
in, even though it's plush. It's like all alone at the end of the
island and if you live alone, it would make you feel even lonelier (sp)
with all the space.

After Pushing Up Prices, Investors Are Left Holding Too Many Homes - Wash. Post fraser Home Repair 29 May 2nd 06 06:58 PM
Buy home and keep renting in the city nonbuyer Home Ownership 14 February 15th 06 03:21 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM