Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88 mrsgator88 is offline

Default Why are condo prices so inexpensive in the best areas of the city of Chicago?

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Two Reasons:
1. Condos suck- who wants to buy an apartment

Agreed. On a thirty year mortgage most of what your paying is interest
anyways, annual appreciation is nil to negative, you have to pay hundreds
each month in assessments, and still you have to pay to fix anything that
breaks. When you rent, there's no assesssment, and a landlord who's
responsible for repairs. There's good and bad landlords, and good and bad
condos just the same.

2. It's Chicago- awful weather and much crime. I dont know why anyone
lives there

Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Summers are great, winters
are cold but not nearly the snow that everyone imagines. Virtually NO
natural disasters. Occasional flood or tornado in the farther suburbs.
Crime comparable to other urban areas.

good. I am hoping that there are retirement communities in Mexico where
you can (1) have a whole apartment and NOT just one room and (2) one
where they have nurses and other kinds of staff. In all of the
retirement homes I've seen on TV, the retirees only had one room.

Retirement homes here give you a choice.

Plus, in Chicago, I can use subways and not have to learn how to drive
and buy a car and pay the increased gas prices I've been hearing about.

The train system in Chicago is not as strong as NY or European cities.
Nothing cross town, it all goes to/from downtown.