Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a/c compressor burned out?

My a/c quit working, no cool air. About a year ago a repairman did something
with a switch in the attic that he said would normally be replaced at a cost
of $150 or so but that it really wasn't necessary. He has a good rep and no
reason to have me spend less.

Nos the A/C quit working. I called another company as I couldn't locate the
other guy. The tech came out, took a look at the unit and said the
compressor was probably frozen but that he couldn't tell until he put a
booser on it to see if he could get it running. He said it was turning off
because it was overheating and was getting a signal to turn on. He didn't
look in the attic or mention anything about a disabled switch.

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

Any suggestions? What should it cost to replace the compressor it that's
what turns out to be bad? The A/C is 10 years old. Should I replace the
whole unit, if the compressor is bad?

Thanks
: -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA Gray Asphalt" writes:
[...]

Well poo. Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Given that the industry now has a mandated 13SEER efficiency on A/C
units, it may be that you won't be able to get away with just
replacing the compressor without also doing the coil inside. At 10
years, may as well just do the system I suppose. Plus at 10
years... it's not exactly a spring chicken.

I have some recent estimates for A/C for a 2 story colonial of around
2400sf in Chicagoland. 3TON 13SEER a/c + coil installed was
$2000-3200 depending on how quiet ya want it to be outside.

The low estimate broke it out: Frigidaire R22 unit at $1400 with a
$550 coil. Carrier systems using R410A ran between $2600-$3200 for
basic/comfort/performance series. A Ruud 3TON (R22) came in at $2889.

Hope that helps ya with some ballpark numbers before you start
gathering estimates. If you're comfy with Carrier (which you may not
be with this failure), have a Bryant dealer quote ya too -- same
stuff, same factory in Indiana, less expensive paint and label. Rheem
and Trane seem to be very well respected. Ruud is another brand of
Rheem equipment.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
. ..
Pawlowski's response was neither useful nor funny. Leave the humor
contributions to us professionals.

So, is your response useful or funny?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:42:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote Re a/c compressor burned out?:

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
Pawlowski's response was neither useful nor funny. Leave the humor
contributions to us professionals.

So, is your response useful or funny?

Much more useful than yours. Heck it was even funnier than yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"AKA Gray Asphalt" writes:
[...]

Thank you. It's a real problem for me. Does the idea of a 'booster' make any
sense? It might be a good idea to not replace everything until next year at
the start of the summer season, no? I live in the desert so we still need it
now, though. Really thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

I thought BTUs was relevant. I guess it's tons. Oh well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA Gray Asphalt" writes:

Thank you. It's a real problem for me. Does the idea of a 'booster' make any
sense?

I'm not familiar ?

It might be a good idea to not replace everything until next year at
the start of the summer season, no? I live in the desert so we still
need it now, though. Really thanks.

You may get a benefit from it not being the frenzy season for A/C
installations, and you can start saving on electricity right away, if
you have to dump out the cash anyway. And prices next season will
probably rise.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:18:49 -0400, "Craven Morehead"
wrote:

Pawlowski's response was neither useful nor funny. Leave the humor
contributions to us professionals.

A professional comedian?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:18:38 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

Now was that nice?

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"AKA Gray Asphalt" writes:
[...]

Being an a/c guy myself the booster {hard start kit} would help in
diagnostic. Why didn't he try it ? Is the outdoor fan running ? IF not
Pwer may not be on at braker. Could have run capacitor bad if its a
duel cap- that would keep both moters from running. You would hear the
comp- try to start {slight hum for a few seconds}.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed's all right, in my book. He's been consistently helpful with the
occasional light remark about wiring, or a bit of freon advice.
Actually, I considered writing whatyou did, but you BTU it. Next time,
I'll beat YOU to it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
. ..
Pawlowski's response was neither useful nor funny. Leave the humor
contributions to us professionals.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must

have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, them BTUs are dissolved in the freon. Ask the tech to put in a
couple pounds of freon.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must have
run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm getting sense that the outdoor unit needs professional cleaning.
If the fins get packed with dust (as they do every couple years), then
the compressor will overheat and shut down. The booser can help for
awhile, but it really needs professional cleaning.

If you replace the outdoor unit, you'll get nice clean fins. And $pend
more buck$.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure it's cool. He couldn't handle the pressure, if I'm any gage
of things. He did a fan tastic job of popping off, hope he didn't
overload you. I'm sure you've got a good capacity for hard starting
posters. He's probably a Typhoid Mary, a carrier don't you know. I see
a ton of posts like that, they don't draft em, just type and send. If
you're not airflow, you can write like that, too. I'm trying to be
careful to not be usefl/ow, or funny. Maybe I should draft this, it's
off to a hard start. A super boost of editing could help. But,
writing isn't one of my manifold talents. Neither am I a punster,
though Herman Punster was one of my favorite kids shows. Him and
Grandpa and Eddie.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
. ..
Pawlowski's response was neither useful nor funny. Leave the humor
contributions to us professionals.

So, is your response useful or funny?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lives in desert. Fins packed with dust. By holding a light behind my
crystal balls I can see dirt packed condensor. Though, it's a lot
easier to hold the light behind the fins.

Please call a company to clean the outside unit. They should use water
and chemicals.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Thank you. It's a real problem for me. Does the idea of a 'booster'
make any
sense? It might be a good idea to not replace everything until next
year at
the start of the summer season, no? I live in the desert so we still
need it
now, though. Really thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The newer ones are so much more efficient. They run on CTU, not BTU.
The older ones used tons and tons of BTU. Before that, when they first
came out, they used ATU. They even have some RTU units, which are a
lot more efficient.

Incidentally, a "ton" of cooling is the ammount of energy needed to
convert a ton of ice to water at 32F. Which works out to 12,000 BTU
per hour.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

That's the problem. ACs need Btus in order to work and you must

have run
out. Get a refill and you will be all set.

I thought BTUs was relevant. I guess it's tons. Oh well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA Gray Asphalt posted for all of us...

Thank you. It's a real problem for me. Does the idea of a 'booster' make any
sense? It might be a good idea to not replace everything until next year at
the start of the summer season, no? I live in the desert so we still need it
now, though. Really thanks.

I am not in a/c but I know the tech should be able able to diagnose the problem
without the "booster". Have him define exactly what this piece is supposed to
do. I suspect it's to boost his wallet. But it may be what's called a hard
start kit, which should be after a proper diagnoses. NOBODY can tell how much
it will cost because we can't see it, touch it, know it through a screen.
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:

Incidentally, a "ton" of cooling is the ammount of energy needed to
convert a ton of ice to water at 32F. Which works out to 12,000 BTU
per hour.

Per hour, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

meant that I didn't take the trouble to read the BTU or tonnage rating on
the unit before I posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, per hour.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Stormin Mormon writes:

Incidentally, a "ton" of cooling is the ammount of energy needed to
convert a ton of ice to water at 32F. Which works out to 12,000 BTU
per hour.

Per hour, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your help. I did call a company but they said that chemicals are
no good and that I could do it with a hose. It sure seems like a good place
to start. Do you suggest I keep calling until I find someone willing to
clean the unit or do it myself and what chemicals? Thanks again to everyone.
This ng is a public service.

.

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message

Thank you. It's a real problem for me. Does the idea of a 'booster'
make any
sense? It might be a good idea to not replace everything until next
year at
the start of the summer season, no? I live in the desert so we still
need it
now, though. Really thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:

Yep, per hour.

Nope, your dimensions are in error.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest rinsing the fins with a garden hose. Pull the power
disconnect out, first. So you don't kill yourself or damage the
electrical.

If you're mechanically minded, take a couple bolts out, and pull the
fan off the top. Rinse from the inside out. Worth a try, before you
spend money on a paid service. If you don't want to take the unit
apart, spray from the top, pointing mostly down. Rinse the dust and
dirt out the bottom.

Try to keep any wires or electrical dry.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please post corrections. Even a parakeet can say "no you're wrong" but
it takes wisdom to post truth.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:

Incidentally, a "ton" of cooling is the ammount of energy needed to
convert a ton of ice to water at 32F. Which works out to 12,000 BTU
per hour.

Please post corrections.

Your errors include the heat of fusion of water and its units, what a
"ton" of cooling is, trying to equate the two, saying that some amount of
cooling would "convert a ton of ice to water", and that cooling equates to
energy.

The heat of fusion of water is specified in units of heat/mass, such as
79.7 cal/gm, or 287 KBTU/ton. A ton of cooling is a rate of heat transfer,
not an amount of heat. You cannot equate the first to the second, such as
your saying it "works out" to some equivalence. Cooling is a rate of heat
transfer, not an "amount of energy" as you said.

Which all suggests you are a poseur when it comes to HVAC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...

Try to keep any wires or electrical dry.

Especially when it rains...
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.answers.com/topic/air-conditioning
Equipment Capacity
Air conditioner equipment power in the U.S. is often described in
terms of "tons of refrigeration". A "ton of refrigeration" is defined
as the cooling power of one short ton (2000 pounds or 907 kilograms)
of ice melting in a 24-hour period. This is equal to 12,000 BTU per
hour, or 3517 watts [3]. Residential "central air" systems are usually
from 1 to 5 tons (3 to 20 kW) in capacity.

You, on the other hand, post a highly technical writing on the subject
which turns out to be incorrect. Which all suggests that you are an
engineer, not a HVAC man such as myself.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Stormin Mormon writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:

You, on the other hand, post a highly technical writing on the subject
which turns out to be incorrect.

I agree with the authority you quote. Your rendition is confused.

Which all suggests that you are an
engineer, not a HVAC man such as myself.

Agreed, if by "HVAC man" you mean someone who can't tell cooling from
energy, or BTUs from BTUs/hour. Kind of like the garage mechanic who puts
"pounds" of air into tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, a second tech came out to my house and looked at the unit. He did some
checks on the pressure and found one low and one high so he added some freon
to maybe flush out a blockage. Then he rechecked the system with the new
freon and declared it fixed. As he was packing up the compressor stopped. He
said that he could tell the temperature of the compressor by the pressure in
psi and that there was a conversion on the guage to shoe how hot the
compressor was. I don't get that at all. I've never heard of a pressure to
temperature conversion table/convertor. He called in and got instructions on
what to do and took the fan off and did something and said the senior tech
would have to come out. He didn't leave a bill but the owner's wife called
and said I owed them $70 plus freon. Nice people but I doubt that the tech
was experienced and she said that putting freon in the system was not a
treatment for blockage of the lines. She also said that he should not have
quoted me $1500 for a new compressor 700 for the compressor and 800 for 4
hours of labor. I'm afraid to stiff them for the service call because they
know where I live but I don't think I got much more than a sweaty shirt from
sitting out in ths sun watching and hour of wasted time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Stormin Mormon writes:

You, on the other hand, post a highly technical writing on the subject
which turns out to be incorrect.

I agree with the authority you quote. Your rendition is confused.

Which all suggests that you are an
engineer, not a HVAC man such as myself.

Agreed, if by "HVAC man" you mean someone who can't tell cooling from
energy, or BTUs from BTUs/hour. Kind of like the garage mechanic who puts
"pounds" of air into tires.

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires. And the number of
pounds of air you put in will correlate strongly with the resulting
pressure in psi !

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT writes:

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires.

Now you are mistaking a pound as a unit of mass, when it is a unit of
force.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT writes:

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires.

I'd like to see you put 30 pounds of air into a tire. It'll burst way before
you even get one pound in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch writes:

CJT writes:

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires.

Now you are mistaking a pound as a unit of mass, when it is a unit of
force.

And I'm guessing you don't get laid much. Sorry just stumbled on this
thread and had to laugh. I mean, geeze guys, if your start brokering
in pedantry, at least be right. CJT was quite accurate in his nerdy
foray into units, and didn't really need Rich's further intellectual
masturbation trying to correct that which didn't need it.

So on a practical note, Rich, unless you know of any air compressors
for filling automobile tires in places with a different gravitational
constant than what we have here on earth, there is a rather well
defined relationship between a pound as a unit of force and the
corresponding mass. But yes, we're all impressed you know the
difference. And if you go down to 3 significant figures and start
waxing about differences in that constant based on elevation or
something, I'll have to ask you to give yourself a wedgie and flush
your own head in the toilet.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
CJT writes:

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires.

Now you are mistaking a pound as a unit of mass, when it is a unit of
force.

Hmmm,
No sense arguing with whom flunked out of HS physics class, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Richard J Kinch wrote:
CJT writes:

Well, you actually can put pounds of air in tires.

Now you are mistaking a pound as a unit of mass, when it is a unit of
force.

Make that lbm, then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My problem seems to have been a block in some line, I guess that carries
freon. The third guy, a freind of a relative charged me $300 to fix the
problem and charge the system w/ 4 lbs. of freon. I don't know if it was a
good price but it was far less than the estimates I got and he didn't have
to replace the compressor or "boost" it or anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA Gray Asphalt posted for all of us...

My problem seems to have been a block in some line, I guess that carries
freon. The third guy, a freind of a relative charged me $300 to fix the
problem and charge the system w/ 4 lbs. of freon. I don't know if it was a
good price but it was far less than the estimates I got and he didn't have
to replace the compressor or "boost" it or anything else.

So he gave it a laxative?
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."