Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a/c compressor burned out?

I'm getting sense that the outdoor unit needs professional cleaning.
If the fins get packed with dust (as they do every couple years), then
the compressor will overheat and shut down. The booser can help for
awhile, but it really needs professional cleaning.

If you replace the outdoor unit, you'll get nice clean fins. And $pend
more buck$.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message
My a/c quit working, no cool air. About a year ago a repairman did
something
with a switch in the attic that he said would normally be replaced at
a cost
of $150 or so but that it really wasn't necessary. He has a good rep
and no
reason to have me spend less.

Nos the A/C quit working. I called another company as I couldn't
locate the
other guy. The tech came out, took a look at the unit and said the
compressor was probably frozen but that he couldn't tell until he put
booser on it to see if he could get it running. He said it was turning
off
because it was overheating and was getting a signal to turn on. He
didn't
look in the attic or mention anything about a disabled switch.

It's a carrier. I don't have the BTUs.

Any suggestions? What should it cost to replace the compressor it
that's
what turns out to be bad? The A/C is 10 years old. Should I replace
the
whole unit, if the compressor is bad?

Thanks
: -)