Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bees in the ground?

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

HomeDecoy wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Sep 2006 10:23:01 -0700, "HomeDecoy"

Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

Just roto-till it, and plant beans. They won't come back
to that spot again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HomeDecoy wrote:
wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

Ok, then Sevin Dust is indeed what you want. It is regularly used in
agriculture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HomeDecoy wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Yellowjackets/ground-wasps don't use the same nest year-to-year, at
least not here in the northeast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT want to
use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None of them ever
has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
roups.com...
wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT want to
use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None of them ever
has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not possible.

Horse-puckey. Sevin is perfectly safe when used as directed.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "HomeDecoy" wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?

Option 1: Sevin dust.

Option 2: a pint of gasoline and a match. Stand back a safe distance and throw
lit matches at the hole until it ignites. Bye-bye, bees.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In daylight use 2 by 4 or other long pole to EXACTLY mark the
entrance...

Come back at NIGHT, use NO lights at all! They will instantly go after
lights

Pour gasoline into bucket, approach quietly dump gasoline quickly down
hole. This kills them instantly!

Now light the hole if you want it will burn off the gasoline.

If you REA:LLY concerned a few days later dig up the nest and
surrounding soil dump in non garden area.

or leave that area for flowers only for a few years

avoid the hole for a few days straglers who didnt make it home the
night of the disaster will fly around a bit then go away

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Sep 2006 10:07:10 -0700, "HomeDecoy"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Remember to always follow directions/codes/common sense:

I had yellow jackets, a lot, nested under some mulch. I used some
carpenter bee powder (I had for the carpenter bees that attack my
deck), and dusted their enterence. The Yellow Jackets swarmed for a
while and when I checked back later, I found many dead ones. I then
dusted again for safe measure.

This is what I did, not a how-to for you.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
groups.com...
wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT want
use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None of them ever
has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not possible.

Horse-puckey. Sevin is perfectly safe when used as directed.

Horse-puckey. No substance can be considered safe in or around food unless
it is tested on humans. You may find one or two instances of that happening,
but they were rare, and the practice is now illegal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
egroups.com...
wrote:
Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of
"chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely
after a little while.

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground
but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things
there again.

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT want
use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None of them ever
has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not possible.

Horse-puckey. Sevin is perfectly safe when used as directed.

Horse-puckey. No substance can be considered safe in or around food unless
it is tested on humans. You may find one or two instances of that happening,
but they were rare, and the practice is now illegal.

You can go on thinking that if it makes you feel better... and I'll continue
to use Sevin in my vegetable garden.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. .
wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
legroups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Go on thinking what? That these things cannot be tested properly? Is that
specifically what you're referring to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT
want to use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None
of them ever has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not
possible.

The only pesticide I can think of that has never been shown to be harmful to
humans in any concentration (less than 100%, and at that level people do die
from being smothered) is DDT. You can get it if you try hard enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you take a clear plastic or glass bowl, place it over their hole and
press it tightly to the ground, so they can't walk under the edge, put a
weight of some sort on it to keep it in place, they will starve to death. Do
this at night when they've all gone back into the nest and are not active.
As long as they can see sunlight, they don't dig themselves a new exit hole

"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the
ground? So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right
inside the nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want
to make SURE they don't come back.

I had the problem. They were too far down for hardware store sprays. I
finally called a pro, and I'm glad I did.

Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I
can maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?

If you can wait for frost, that will work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DLC DLC is offline

You probably have yellow jackets rather than bees. These critters all
die over the winter, except for a queen that has probably flown on to a
new spot. Poisoning the nest now won't do much good.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2510.htm has a nice article.

HomeDecoy wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DLC wrote:
You probably have yellow jackets rather than bees. These critters all
die over the winter, except for a queen that has probably flown on to a
new spot. Poisoning the nest now won't do much good.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2510.htm has a nice article.

Um, your own link recommends poisoning them with Sevin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Sep 2006 11:09:02 -0700, "
wrote:

In daylight use 2 by 4 or other long pole to EXACTLY mark the
entrance...

Come back at NIGHT, use NO lights at all! They will instantly go after
lights

Pour gasoline into bucket, approach quietly dump gasoline quickly down
hole. This kills them instantly!

Now light the hole if you want it will burn off the gasoline.

Light it? You have to be kidding. Do you use this method on moles too?

Do you know where the hole goes or how big it is? What would happen
if your hole was close or hooked up to a foundation? BOOM, instant
headache.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
. ..
wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
glegroups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Go on thinking that Sevin isn't safe.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Well it can be toxic, but I'm sure you need to chug-a-lug the whole
bottle/bag for that to happen.

What is that SNL skit, "How many bowls of Cheerios does it take to equal one
Colon Blow?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I see you haven't given this any thought since a year ago, when I provided
you with more than enough information to snap you out of your torpor. I
don't care WHAT you believe, but don't go telling amateurs something's safe
unless you have proof, which doesn't exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If you take a clear plastic or glass bowl, place it over their hole and
press it tightly to the ground, so they can't walk under the edge, put a
weight of some sort on it to keep it in place, they will starve to death. Do
this at night when they've all gone back into the nest and are not active.
As long as they can see sunlight, they don't dig themselves a new exit hole

will this work for rodents or just insects?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:46:39 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

Try lime that you spread on your yard. This has sometimes worked for

me.

"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
roups.com...
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the

ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside

the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE

they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I

can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't

return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Ground nesting wasps are a big deal in Hawaii. We can actually call
our State Department of Heath, Vector Control, and those people will
come over and destroy that nest. I'd suggest you be sure about the
nest because wasps can sting multiple times. Bees are one time and
then they die but wasps keep their stingers. Anaphylactic shock etc.
comes to mind. Of course I hope I am wrong about your nest.

aloha,
beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Just build a nice hot fire on top of the nest. Get some paper and
wood and let her burn. Ashes will add useful nutrients to your soil,
and no chemicals will be used. If you live in the city where fires
are not allowed, build a nice hot fire in your charcoal grill and dump
the hot coals in garden.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sevin dust is both the safest and also particularly toxic to bees. It
breaks down fairly quickly, especially if it rains, so you have to reapply
every several months.

Ignore the idiots who say it isn't safe. It is. Every farmer uses Sevin
and it is used on just about every crop. Very extensively studied and shown
to be 100% harmless to humans and other mammals. In fact, it's also
recommended for outdoor animals to control fleas and ticks, by rubbing it
into their coat. Google for "Sevin safety" or something like that and
you'll see all the research.

However, are you sure you can't just leave them alone? Are they really
harming anything? Depending on what you actually have, they may be harmless
if they are not aggressive. Bees are very beneficial to the environment and
should be left alone if they aren't causing a problem.

"HomeDecoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

HomeDecoy wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground?
So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the
nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they
don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return
without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden
that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go
without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

If your critters are yellow jackets, they can be very dangerous. Only
stinging insects that pursue victim. In Florida, they tend to have
larger colonies and can swarm in reaction to just the vibration of
someone walking nearby or operating mower. Victims can get massive
numbers of stings.

Malathion is one chemical used on them. Haven't read the data recently,
so don't recall the toxicity stuff but they sprayed it from airplanes
over populated areas of Florida when citrus pests were a threat. That
implies it is relatively safe )

Whatever you do, if applying dust to the nest after dark, be careful not
to disturb them. No light, or flashligh with red lens. If I was going
to dig them up, it would not be after the first frost. Water with
detergent is good for drowning all sorts of bugs, but I haven't taken on
any yellow-jacket colonies. Their nest construction is pretty cool ..
engineered to make it tough to get them, so dust that they contact and
carry down to nestmates works best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unrevealed Source wrote:

Sevin dust is both the safest and also particularly toxic to bees. It
breaks down fairly quickly, especially if it rains, so you have to reapply
every several months.

Ignore the idiots who say it isn't safe. It is. Every farmer uses Sevin
and it is used on just about every crop. Very extensively studied and shown
to be 100% harmless to humans and other mammals. In fact, it's also

Not so.

recommended for outdoor animals to control fleas and ticks, by rubbing it
into their coat. Google for "Sevin safety" or something like that and
you'll see all the research.

Google for "Sevin MSDS".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
HomeDecoy wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the
ground? So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right
inside the nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to
make SURE they don't come back.
Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can
maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something?
Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't
return without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the
garden that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let
it go without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)

If your critters are yellow jackets, they can be very dangerous.

Only
stinging insects that pursue victim.

Manifestly not true. For example, Africanized bees will pursue up to 300
yards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Unrevealed Source wrote:

Sevin dust is both the safest and also particularly toxic to bees. It
breaks down fairly quickly, especially if it rains, so you have
to reapply every several months.

Ignore the idiots who say it isn't safe. It is. Every farmer uses
Sevin and it is used on just about every crop. Very extensively
studied and shown to be 100% harmless to humans and other mammals. In
fact, it's also

Not so.

It's less dangerous than paint. I read once where someone painted an
elephant (!). It died. If you drink paint, you will suffer. In laboratory
experiments, rats who were force-fed five gallons of Martha Stewart Latex
developed distended stomachs and became lethargic.

Use according to directions and you'll be golden. (or you could accomplish
the same thing by painting yourself orange).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Norminn wrote:

HomeDecoy wrote:

[...]

Oops! Forgot about those, and we have them in Florida now. Any others?
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Norminn wrote:

Unrevealed Source wrote:

Sevin dust is both the safest and also particularly toxic to bees. It
breaks down fairly quickly, especially if it rains, so you have
to reapply every several months.

Ignore the idiots who say it isn't safe. It is. Every farmer uses
Sevin and it is used on just about every crop. Very extensively
studied and shown to be 100% harmless to humans and other mammals. In
fact, it's also

Not so.

It's less dangerous than paint. I read once where someone painted an
elephant (!). It died. If you drink paint, you will suffer. In laboratory
experiments, rats who were force-fed five gallons of Martha Stewart Latex
developed distended stomachs and became lethargic.

Use according to directions and you'll be golden. (or you could accomplish
the same thing by painting yourself orange).

Sevin, for one thing, is terratogenic. May be less toxic than some
stuff, but genes count )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:15:05 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Norminn wrote:

HomeDecoy wrote:

[...]

If you think a hornet won't pursue you, just go slap a nest and run
like hell. They will correct your misperception.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Norminn wrote:

Unrevealed Source wrote:

[...]

Not really. You're a victim of scare mongering. Sevin is less toxic than
Cherrios in 7-Up.

From Pesticide Information Office Extension Services of Cornell, Michigan
State, Oregon State, and UC Davis, funding via USDA.

"No reproductive or fetal effects were observed during a long-term study of
rats which were fed high doses of carbaryl [Sevin]. The evidence for
teratogenic effects due to chronic exposure are minimal in test amimals.
Birth defects in rabbit and guinea pig offspring occurred only at dosage
levels which were highly toxic to the mother. A 1980 New Jersey
epidemiological study found no evidence of excess birth defects in a town
sprayed with carbaryl for gypsy moth control. There is only limited evidence
that carbaryl causes birth defects in humans. The EPA has concluded that
carbaryl does not pose a teratogenic risk to humans if used properly "

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...baryl-ext.html